The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Interesting graphs and charts department (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24480)

classicman 11-04-2011 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From 37 banks to 4 in 13 years. Hmmm

One might think they need to be broken up.

ZenGum 11-04-2011 08:08 PM

" ... and the control of wealth will fall into fewer and fewer hands ... eventually into a form in which it can be seized by the proletariat...."

Marx was at least half right. I'm quite interested to see what will happen over the next few decades.

Lamplighter 11-04-2011 08:41 PM

Sadly, I believe this is exactly what will be happening in every industry.
Corporations will buy/merge/consume each other until they dominate the "market share"

I think I allude to this somewhere in my signature below.

classicman 11-04-2011 08:53 PM

Isn't this what happens, almost by design, in an unchecked capitalistic/cannibalistic society?

Lamplighter 11-04-2011 09:37 PM

Well, philosophically I believe things are different with corporations than partnerships and companies.
With the corps, the CEO, Bd of Dir, etc are just "employee" bodies passing through.

With other forms of business the owners are integral to the life of the company.
Family businesses or partnerships get dispersed or sold off, and the business dissolves,
OR... is bought up by a corporation !

Griff 11-05-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 770286)
Isn't this what happens, almost by design, in an unchecked capitalistic/cannibalistic society?

When they own the government and are able to stifle competition that will happen. I think somebody needs to run on the old TR "trust buster" platform but now that media is suffering from the same malady, I have little hope for it. We may well end up with a completely stagnant society.

Undertoad 11-05-2011 10:41 AM

Where's PNC? Where's TD Bank?

Lamplighter 11-05-2011 11:21 AM

PNC (Pittsburgh National ?) may be considered too small
TD Bank is Canadian (It is 2nd largest in Canada)

ZenGum 11-05-2011 06:57 PM

Is this a natural trend?

I think yes. Wealth accumulates. If nothing is done about it, this will keep going, until it cannot go any further.

Do we have to sit back and let it happen?

No.
The modern economy is something we have created, a lot by individual and corporate activities, and also a lot by governments creating sets of rules that make a stable society and complex finance possible. We can adjust the rules. We should just remember that we are tinkering with a complex, chaotic system and unintended consequences are pretty much certain, as is the further exploitation of whatever changes we make.

Lamplighter 11-05-2011 07:46 PM

Here is an early symptom of retail-market saturation.
There's only so much $ to spend on X-mas.
So retailers' tactics are to get it first, before it's spent elsewhere.

USA Today
Nov 5, 2011

Why wait until Black Friday? Retailers tout big deals early
Quote:

Black Friday is more popular than ever with holiday shoppers,
but that isn't stopping retailers from trying to lure bargain hunters
into the stores ahead of Thanksgiving.

Spexxvet 11-07-2011 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another reason to legalize pot

TheMercenary 11-12-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 770266)
" ... and the control of wealth will fall into fewer and fewer hands ... eventually into a form in which it can be seized by the proletariat...."

Marx was at least half right. I'm quite interested to see what will happen over the next few decades.

:thumb: The gooberment will eventually control all of them.

Lamplighter 11-12-2011 09:04 AM

It's the corporations that will own everything.

Yesterday, there was an hour-long TY program about the Pepsico Corp.
The CEO, Indra Nooyi, make a remark something like:

If you put it in your stomach, I want Pepsico to sell it to you.

TheMercenary 11-15-2011 07:59 PM

Corps may own it. The current Gobberment aims to control it. Oh, and make themselves rich along the way. There's your 1%.

ZenGum 11-16-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 770962)
another reason to legalize pot

That graph is interesting but it needs a third axis.

It is right to consider the risk of dependency and the risk of overdose, but there is also the risk of being mentally screwed up by it without either dependency or overdose.

According to this graph, LSD is the safest drug there is, much safer than caffeine. :headshake