The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   any other Leica users here? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8289)

jaguar 05-08-2005 10:04 AM

any other Leica users here?

I've just taken my first step into Leica-land with a gorgeous Leica M6 .58 TTL, after being used to massive high-end digial SLRs the simplicity and beauty makes it a truly enjoyable experience. We seem to have a few camera buffs here, another other Leica users?

zippyt 05-08-2005 10:28 AM

Jag doing the "Point and shoot " thing ?????

Post some pics , lets see the difference .

jaguar 05-08-2005 11:07 AM

point & shoot? A leica? I fart in your general direction you second hand electric donkey bottom biter!

I've run though one film with a borrowed lens, I'll have to wait till I get hold of mine before I can start really making use of it. Hunting for a 2nd hand 28mmf/2 or a 35mmf/1.4. I'm doing a little jaunt in a couple of weeks, I'll be taking it with me for that, I'll post those when i get the films back.

SteveDallas 05-08-2005 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaguar
other Leica users?

Only in my dreams.

wolf 05-08-2005 11:41 AM

I have wanted a Leica since I took photography in high school. I have resigned myself to knowing that I will have neither that nor a Hasselblad.

Troubleshooter 05-08-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
...I will have neither that nor a Hasselblad.

Is it either of those contagious?

wolf 05-08-2005 12:04 PM

I wish!

zippyt 05-08-2005 12:09 PM

Is it either of those contagious?

i was going to say gusentite !!

Seriously though Jag please escuse my ignorance , but ,, with a SLR you are looking thru the view finder THRU the lens ,so you can see what the lens sees ( sorta ) , from what it looks like with this fancy new toy you have you are looking thru an off set view finder , NOT thru the lens , thus the point and shoot comment .

jaguar 05-08-2005 12:50 PM

kindasorta but it's like comparing a honda to a bentley, both make sedans but you wouldn't consider putting them side to side.

russotto 05-09-2005 09:33 AM

(drools over f/1.4 lens)

Catwoman 05-09-2005 09:38 AM

You *groan* very *cry* lucky *stifle* person *choke* I'm really *scream of jealousy* happy for you.

LabRat 05-09-2005 11:42 AM

I use 'em just about every day :lol:

xoxoxoBruce 05-09-2005 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt
Seriously though Jag please escuse my ignorance , but ,, with a SLR you are looking thru the view finder THRU the lens ,so you can see what the lens sees ( sorta ) , from what it looks like with this fancy new toy you have you are looking thru an off set view finder , NOT thru the lens , thus the point and shoot comment .

You're right Zip, the only difference is they went to the trouble and expence of using a duplicate lens for the viewfinder that matches the lens for the film.
Of course the single lens reflex(SLR) eliminated the need by allowing the user to do both with one lens. The Leica is retro and chic but it's like the '50s Bently, cool but I'd rather drive the Honda. :lol:
My '57 Chevy is retro and chic but I'd rather drive the PT Cruiser, everyday.

footfootfoot 05-09-2005 08:40 PM

I used to own two M3s with 1.4 lenses.
Really nice, someday I may replace them. The only thing I found hard was getting to know my DOF without being able to see it and decide just how much I wanted, and also when I used the lens shade it would block the lower corner of the frame.

Besides that, it was really a great camera.

All in all, one of my favorite cameras I've ever owned. <-- I think there is a slightly more grammatical way to phrase that.

glatt 05-10-2005 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
You're right Zip, the only difference is they went to the trouble and expence of using a duplicate lens for the viewfinder that matches the lens for the film.
Of course the single lens reflex(SLR) eliminated the need by allowing the user to do both with one lens.

I've never used a Leica, but from what I have read about them, the advantage of having a separate viewfinder is you don't have the distinctive and loud "ka-click" noise when you take a picture. That uniquely SLR noise is the mirror flipping up out of the way so the shutter can open and then the mirror flops down again. A Leica just has an almost imperceptible "click" noise. Many photojournalists have praised the ability of the Leica to take pictures in quiet settings withut being obtrusive and spooking the subjects. They find they get better and more natural results that way. It's not very often that you need such a stealthy camera, but when you need one, it's good to have one.