The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is wrong with you people? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18159)

Riddil 09-18-2008 11:23 PM

What is wrong with you people?

Ok, admittedly I've been out-of-the-loop for a while, since I've been working in China the past 2.5 years. But seriously, I cannot believe what I see on CNN.

McCain and Obama in a dead-heat? Really? I mean, I tried to be understanding for a while, but as we get farther from the conventions I'd think people would wake up and realize that electing a Republican isn't going to change anything... no matter what McCain says.

When I talk to the other Americans living over here it seems that it's about 95% for Obama, 5% for McCain. That seems more reasonable to me. I can get my head around that.

But 50/50?

Seriously. I'm at a loss. I don't know HOW that's even possible. Hell, in 2000 I was a conservative republican, FOX News watcher. I don't know WHAT more proof people would need to switch their affiliation. Ok... I can understand CEO's may want to vote Republican. But what about the other 99.9% of the population?

Explain it to me. I don't understand it. If anyone can give me an insight I'd be in your debt. At least I won't feel like I'm living in Wonderland anymore.

Cicero 09-18-2008 11:24 PM

I actually haven't met anyone for McCain. That's less than 5 on this end. Anyone know anyone voting for McCain?

Undertoad 09-19-2008 12:33 AM

This extremely difficult, yet extremely rewarding essay appeared over the weekend.

A somewhat easier-to-digest opinion from Penn Jillette, in a short video: The Party of Hate. Republicans are the party of fear, Democrats are the party of hate. Hard to disagree after seeing your thread title. Let me ask you this: if you weren't addressing a group of people -- let's say you were addressing your friend's Aunt, who has said to you that she'll vote for McCain. Would you come back at her with What is wrong with you?

morethanpretty 09-19-2008 12:55 AM

Our opinion is completely right and everything else is completely wrong. That's the problem.

Big Sarge 09-19-2008 06:32 AM

I don't know anybody supporting Obama. I guess we all gravitate to groups of similarly minded individuals

footfootfoot 09-19-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 485259)
I don't know anybody supporting Obama. I guess we all gravitate to groups of similarly minded individuals

Maybe it's a new spin on "don't ask, don't tell." :D

Shawnee123 09-19-2008 08:14 AM

Riddil. Yeah, good question. I'm at a loss myself.

The party of hate. Are you kidding me? How about the party of "what the eff have you been doing to our country?"

I do not know specifically of anyone for McCain, aside from the folks who would rather roll over and die than see a black man as president.

'Cause Bush has done a bang-up job. Let's have MORE!

It's a sad sad sad sad sad sad sad world. :headshake

classicman 09-19-2008 08:24 AM

Hmmm, I'm pretty much in the middle. Completely undecided. I know many people for McCain and some for Obama.

Its common that people of like interests gravitate towards each other. When I was young and smoked weed - everyone I knew did so too. Now that I am older I can't think of many IRL that I know of who does. Or similarly, doctors hang out with doctors; lawyers with lawyers and teachers with teachers. Its normal.

Pie 09-19-2008 08:48 AM

And I'm the lone liberal in the defense industry. I feel like such a sell-out.
(Still voting for the big O though!)

Sheldonrs 09-19-2008 09:04 AM

Personally I think it's a case of battered wife syndrome. You get used to getting beaten up and your too affraid to leave because you don't know what else to do.
And if you DO happen to get out of that relationship, you usually wind up finding someone who will treat you as bad or worse than the last one.

New Slogan: "Vote for Obama. You don't have to get beaten up every day!"

Shawnee123 09-19-2008 09:05 AM

Nice parallel, Sheldon.

Vote for Obama: Wouldn't you rather have a black guy than a black eye?

Sundae 09-19-2008 09:14 AM

I found my peer group - finally! - when I found the Cellar.
Sad that it's international in a way, because it doesn't easily translate to face to face meetings. But far more interesting in all other ways.

I'm always quite shocked when people fulminate about the internet separating people. I think they mean families with teenagers though, who prefer spending time in their bedrooms chatting online than with their parents. But they'll grow out of it - I spent hours alone in my (shared) room reading, until the cold in our unheated house drove me downstairs to the living room. Now I love spending time with Mum & Dad.

Back to the OT - UT has a point. I've been quite shocked at the vitriol displayed by both sides online (not so much here, but in various blogs & articles I've surfed). But then I am not confrontational and rarely say anything online that I wouldn't say in person and yet even I have been known to rant a little before realising my views aren't shared.

I see it happen all over though. Check out any YouTube clip of Al Murray, Pub Landlord for some really nasty international exchanges or pretty much any football (soccer) clips montage for all Brit slanging matches.

If people don't share your viewpoint it is very easy to see them as "other". The great thing about here is - for example - UG likes poetry and chilli, TW occasional zings off some amazing one liners, Radar has a beautiful daughter etc etc. We come together more than we drift apart I think.

Shawnee123 09-19-2008 09:18 AM

Nicely said, SG.

BrianR 09-19-2008 10:02 AM

OK, take note. *I'm* voting for McCain, unless something really odd happens between now and then to change my mind.

I don't see Obama's prescription for America as being the right one. McCain isn't much better but if he can energize the Congress, where the REAL power is (and if the electorate can elect enough similar leaders), we might get something useful done.

But everyone is worried about electing the figurehead and no one is even able to tell who is running for the House and Senate in their district. 90% is voters don't even know what district they live in.

Around here, it's hard for me to poll people and discuss rationally because El Paso is a bastion of Democrats in a Republic of Republicans. Also half of the residents speak no English.

My wife isn't good enough to translate anything not written down. Pity, I'd love to talk to my crazy neighbor about their Mastiff breaking loose, freaking out my dogs and chasing cars and people down the street.

HungLikeJesus 09-19-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Willie: You people? Did you hear that Marcus? He said 'You People.'
Marcus: Who the hell is us people?
Bob Chipeska: No... He said... But... what... No no. Um, I think it's best if we just forget we had this conversation.
Willie: Good thinking. And don't worry about us. We'll be fine. Let's get the hell out of here Marcus.