The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sundae (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32319)

orthodoc 12-04-2016 03:22 PM

It looks as if a Paypal account could be set up to receive donations in GBP - one of our UK Dwellars could then access the account and put the funds toward an agreed-upon item like a plant etc. Unless it's possible for a North America-based Dwellar to just order something directly (I'm feeling embarrassed about proposing something that means time and inconvenience for someone else).

Has this sort of thing been done before, here in the Cellar? I'm probably laughably behind on the technical details of things. If there's interest, though, it would be nice to do.

limey 12-04-2016 03:29 PM

Elspode, it is perhaps a little early for Sundae's mum to have this organised. Funerals can, in the UK, typically be a couple of weeks after a death. I think Sundae's mum would really appreciate some gesture of support from Sundae's online family.

Sent by magic.

limey 12-04-2016 03:52 PM

Ortho, all your suggestions are eminently doable. I'm very happy to be the agent to make this happen. And, as I've said, I think the gesture would be welcomed by Sundae's mum.

Sent by magic.

Elspode 12-04-2016 04:05 PM

Limey, do you think monetary donations to her Mum are best, or the plant for the funeral route? Mum is going through a very tough time, as someone has already noted. Whatever, the case, I'm in to contribute as soon as details are available.

Lola Bunny 12-04-2016 04:10 PM

I've thought of this yesterday and was thinking of pming Limey. However, I was afraid I won't be able to give much and little might be just too little. And I didn't want to bring it up in the Cellar and guilt others into giving too being the holiday is around the corner. Funeral expenses can't be cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Elspode 12-04-2016 04:16 PM

I believe any amounts people donate out of love are sufficient amounts, and for those who did not feel the connection, or who cannot afford to donate, there is absolutely no guilt. From all, according to their ability.

Lola Bunny 12-04-2016 04:18 PM

[emoji4] Let's see what Limey say would be the best to do.

limey 12-04-2016 04:20 PM

What Elspode says about "from all according to their ability" is spot on. After all, Teh Cellar bought UT a car once on that principle.
We brits are notoriously embarrassed about receiving financial gifts, however. I think a floral tribute would be more the thing, unless Carruthers has another opinion?

Sent by magic.

Carruthers 12-04-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 975441)
What Elspode says about "from all according to their ability" is spot on. After all, Teh Cellar bought UT a car once on that principle.
We brits are notoriously embarrassed about receiving financial gifts, however. I think a floral tribute would be more the thing, unless Carruthers has another opinion?

Sent by magic.

I think the floral tribute option would be the one to pursue, limey.
In the event of there being surplus funds perhaps a donation to an appropriate charity could be made.

xoxoxoBruce 12-04-2016 04:36 PM

I think the surplus should go to Mum's favorite booze, she could probably use some. I don't know what that is but I remember Sundae mentioned it in one of her posts.

Lola Bunny 12-04-2016 04:37 PM

I like Bruce's suggestion.

captainhook455 12-04-2016 04:44 PM

Yeah money is pretty embarrassing, but it still spends. Mum's daughter has died and her husband is out of the loop so I think it would be appropriate to send funds instead of a plant. Americans are generous when it comes to money.

tarheel

xoxoxoBruce 12-04-2016 04:49 PM

I assume her Mum has to foot the expense of the funeral. I don't know about there, but here that's pretty expensive.

Lola Bunny 12-04-2016 04:52 PM

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Asians like to give money to help out with funeral expenses. But then, they also give flowers.

Elspode 12-04-2016 04:58 PM

If we come up with enough, we could do both. I would interject that I personally favor giving plants, because they live on after the ceremony as a reminder of the loved one who departed. We have a couple of plants in our arsenal that we were gifted following funerals. Most precious is the one from Leslie's father's service.

And, if embarrassment is a concern, well...a cash gift could be sent anonymously while the plant could bear our names and well wishes on a card. It would be harder to be embarrassed with no idea of the origin of the donation, and Bruce is right...funerals are goddamn expensive.