The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would I be a fool? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8574)

staceyv 06-21-2005 11:49 AM

Would I be a fool?

1 Attachment(s)
I had a dream about adopting two shelter dogs while I was taking my nap today. Just out of curiosity, I did a search of available dogs within 2 hours away. I must've looked at pictures and read descriptions for 1 1/2 hours. Now, I'm the bitchy, cynical type. I don't cry at movies, I've even assisted in euthanizing well over 100 pets without a tear in my eye (when I worked at the vet).
Yet, when I saw this little guy I had tears rolling down my face.
I feel like going to adopt him first thing tomorrow morning. Arsen will tell me I'm crazy, that I had too much time on my hands this week, that the dog might not even be around another year. But- look at him!
And I have a 9 1/2 year old chihuahua. They'd probably be perfect for each other.
Should I get him? Or will you try to talk me out of it then?

"Jake is a 12/13 year old Min Pin who is an absolute love. He's housebroken, well behaved, crate trained, and a cuddler. He just wants to be with you, in your lap, preferably. Jake gets along with other dogs, cats and strangers. He's not much of a barker but will make a wooing kind of sound when he sees people outside. He loves to perch on the back of a couch, by your head, and gaze outside. Jake's previous owners moved and could not take him with them. Oh, by the way, he doesn't have any teeth anymore - they were rotting out of his mouth, but he does eat normally. This sweet guy definitely deserves a home that will love him shamelessly."

mrnoodle 06-21-2005 12:04 PM

He deserves a home that will love him, but also one that can take care of him. Are you financially able to feed another mouth? Will he have someone home with him during the day, or will he be alone for hours at a time, and only get attention for a little while each day?

Also, don't make a decision to buy a pet without your husband's input. That's disrespectful and selfish, and will make him more likely to resent the dog and you. Decide together what to do. And don't punish him if he disagrees -- he's got a right to help make decisions that affect the home he shares with you.

Just last month, a friend of mine had this come up. His wife went out to buy milk, and instead bought a puppy out of the back of someone's pickup, with only the seller's assurances that it had shots, etc. Keep in mind that they have just had a special needs child, he is scheduled for layoff in the next 6 months, and they have a 6 year old who has just started school. Oh, and a cat.

They're living paycheck to paycheck, and all on his income (she occasionally cleans an office and intermittently has a waitressing gig). So he vetoed the puppy and while she bawled and pouted, he took it back. She didn't speak a word to him for a week, and was so depressed that she sat on the couch for hours at a time without caring for the baby or doing ANYthing around the house, despite being unemployed. He got to do that when he got home from his 12-hour shift.

She didn't care about the impact on the bank account, the family, or anything. All she knew was the thing made puppy eyes at her and she WANTED it.

Keep Arsen in the loop, and be cool about stuff, regardless of whether you adopt this (cute) puppy or not. [/twocents]

Undertoad 06-21-2005 12:14 PM

I know you know this already Stace, but this dog could become a very large veterinary bill in the next year or two.

staceyv 06-21-2005 12:19 PM

I know Arsen. If I said I wanted this dog, he wouldn't give me too much trouble over it. He might try to talk some sense into me, but he always gives me what I want (within reason!) if it makes me happy.

The question about being able to financially afford feeding him made me laugh:)
This dog weighs all of 7 pounds. I buy my chihuahua the most expensive food on the market- none of the crap from the grocery store!
I also save money every month just in case he needs to go to the vet. (I had no problem dishing out $240 for an ultrasound)
We really don't have a lot of money at all, but when it comes to the important stuff, you find it or you use the "emergencies only" credit card.

He'd have my chihuahua for company. I only work 3 or 4 shifts a week for about 6 or 7 hours. Many of those shifts are at night and Arsen is home then. I also have a 10 day "vacation" every month.

I used to do pet adoption counseling at the animal shelter. I'd approve myself in a heartbeat. I just wish I never even saw this little old guy, because I don't want to set myself up for heartache- that's my only real issue. Then again, I feel like I never do anything positive for society. All I do is waitress and bitch.
I'd like to do something unselfish and good, you know?

cjjulie 06-21-2005 12:41 PM

Get him!

Happy Monkey 06-21-2005 12:52 PM

A toothless dog that goes "woo"... That scores pretty high on the cutometer.

BrianR 06-21-2005 07:09 PM

Fair warning, a dog with no teeth will look totally pathetic in a year. The lower jaw erodes until it's barely there at all and the tongue hangs out and tends to be very dry.

Also, special foods will be required since he cannot chew anymore. Check with your vet before committing to this little guy.

staceyv 06-21-2005 07:23 PM

The more pathetic he looked, the more I'd love him...
I figured that since he doesn't have any teeth, he'd need canned food.

I need to stop looking at pictures of homeless animals. Isn't that the way of the world now? Turn your head and ignore it and pretend nothing needs to be done.

Trilby 06-21-2005 08:32 PM

Stacey--my kitty Carly doesn't have any teeth and she eats dry food (has for years without problem) and her jaw is fine. I say adopt the little guy. He's adorable!
:apaw: Of course, I have trouble running my own life, so don't really listen to me!

limey 06-21-2005 08:34 PM

This dog will not live more than a year or two at the most. That makes it 1 cheap of food and expensive on vets bills and 2 a heartbreaker.

staceyv 06-21-2005 09:47 PM

But putting aside inconveniences towards myself, wouldn't it be nice for HIM if he had a loving home for those last two years?

SteveDallas 06-21-2005 11:27 PM

I don't know diddly squat about animals. (This despite the fact that my wife and her best friend are both convinced I need a cockatiel.) But I can tell when somebody is trying to get somebody else to convince her it's OK to do something she's just dying to do but doesn't think is a good idea.

Sun_Sparkz 06-21-2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceyv
But putting aside inconveniences towards myself, wouldn't it be nice for HIM if he had a loving home for those last two years?

YES IT WOULD

if Arsen is cool about this i say you identify if you can make this baby happy, and if you can make his last 12 months happier, and give him comfort and the love he so obviously deserves, then stace go for it! Also your 1st dog may need a pal!

Is your apartment big enough?

Will you walk him enough?

Just be aware that your current dog may get depressed if he dies.. it will effect him too

staceyv 06-22-2005 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas
I don't know diddly squat about animals. (This despite the fact that my wife and her best friend are both convinced I need a cockatiel.) But I can tell when somebody is trying to get somebody else to convince her it's OK to do something she's just dying to do but doesn't think is a good idea.

Damn. Steve is 100% right. I AM dying to help this dog, I think he's cute as hell. But if I go get him,
#1 we'll end up charging vet bills on the credit card
#2 he'll die and break my heart
#3 he'll die and break my chihuahua's heart

I went through this same thing about 6 years ago, with a fat, old chihuahua named "chico" that I took home from the shelter for one night to do a behavior evaluation on him. I wanted to keep him, but I decided to wait a few weeks and see if he got adopted by someone else. He did. And when I've looked back on it, I always felt I did the right thing...

Maybe I can call and tell them to notify me if he's going to be put to sleep, otherwise, let someone with money and no other pets take him....

Elspode 06-22-2005 01:18 PM

Well, I was going to pipe up and urge you to take serious stock of things before making a noble commitment, but it appears you already have. That's using your head, while still paying attention to your heart, girl.