The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Sew Time Consuming (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21155)

kerosene 10-10-2009 04:35 PM

Sew Time Consuming

3 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired a replacement footpeddle for my sewing machine that had been out of commission for years. I have never been much of a seamstress, but lately I have taken up a passion for sewing. I am fascinated with all of the things one can do with a simple sewing machine. This week I made a bag. I have been carrying it around like a purse. I guess I must be a bag lady now. As you can see, I had a little trouble with the edge stitching around the opening. I try to do everything by machine if I can help it. Maybe I could have used a different needle in the thick layers of fabric? Does anyone else sew?

limey 10-10-2009 05:07 PM

I like it!

kerosene 10-10-2009 11:51 PM

Thanks! I am thinking of making some more padded versions for laptops and stuff.

classicman 10-11-2009 06:51 AM

I don't sew, but it looks very nice. well done.

Clodfobble 10-11-2009 08:06 AM

It's funny, because my sewing machine just came out of the closet for the first time in about 2 years. Not for me--for Mr. Clod. Because he talked the kids into these labor-intensive homemade Halloween costumes, and I waved my hands and said, "Not my responsibility, I'm not up for it this year" repeatedly, but I still had the cynical assumption that when push came to shove I'd have to get it done myself.

Not so! He sewed like a champ, especially good considering it was essentially his first time ever using a sewing machine. I was genuinely impressed.

Shawnee123 10-11-2009 09:44 AM

It's very nice. It looks a lot like the stuff at my sis-in-law's party where her friend was selling similar bags and the like. I'm hoping to get the stuff I ordered today.

I can't sew to save my life.

case is multi-talented!

wolf 10-11-2009 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm too busy doing other things to sew. I really love that bag, though. I could probably manage something like that!

I'm crocheting a twilight camo hooded kanga sweater for myself (that just means there's a big pocket across the belly) right now.

I did make a cute ladybug petit-point for momwolf while I was sitting with her in the ER, though. It's not actually framed yet, I need to get the right kind of craft glue to finish it.

Tulip 10-11-2009 11:44 AM

That bag is very nice indeed! Well done! :thumb: I don't sew...I guess I just made my compliment worthless...:p hihi...Anyways, I had home-ec in 7th grade, learned the basics of a sewing machine, know a few seamstress, hem my own pants whenever I'm not too lazy, so I do know a few things about sewing. Yes, you'd need a different needle for thicker fabric. And in some cases, you may even need to change the presser foot. However, in this case, that wasn't necessary.

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2009 08:47 PM

Upholstery needle. ;)

Tulip 10-12-2009 03:33 PM

Bruce, you sew, talented man? ;)

Pie 10-12-2009 03:44 PM

Sewing is one of those things I wish I had picked up from my grandmother when was younger.... Oh well. At least I can still impress my husband by replacing a missing button...

ZenGum 10-12-2009 05:46 PM

Pie, stapling doesn't count. :p

Me, I'm still trying to sew my wild oats. No, wait ....

xoxoxoBruce 10-13-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 600597)
Bruce, you sew, talented man? ;)

Used to do leather, I just gave a commercial leather machine away. Still have the antique Singer Patch Machine for sewing harnesses and such, but I was never very good with that one.

kerosene 10-13-2009 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Wolf, I love the ladybug! The bag was not too hard to make. I mean, I don't have a lot of sewing experience and I managed to pull it off, for the most part. You could incorporate your needle point projects into a bag of some type. I don't know why I am so obsessed with bags!

Bruce, I will get an upholstery needle. What did you use to make out of leather? I saw some really neat leather tooling the other day and it made me want to try that, too.

xoxoxoBruce 10-13-2009 11:19 AM

http://cellar.org/2009/catwoman.jpg

Just kidding. :haha:

Nothing complicated, mostly fixing stuff, or simple things like saddle bags or tool bags.