The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Wildlife, living next to nature (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29992)

Gravdigr 01-26-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 952192)
grav, you must be kidding about no manual focus on your camera. what is the make/model?

Nope, not kidding. It's a Fujifilm FinePix S3280. It's a POS bridge camera.

Griff 01-27-2016 06:47 AM

As in drop it off a bridge?

Gravdigr 01-27-2016 01:58 PM

Only if it's a local bridge.

If I ever get another camera I WILL be putting a bullet and/or arrow through this one's lens.

xoxoxoBruce 01-27-2016 05:09 PM

I offered.

footfootfoot 01-27-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 950470)
My camera has no provision for manual focus:

does it have focus lock? If so, point it at something else about the same distance and lock the focus, then reframe and shoot.

BigV 01-27-2016 10:07 PM

it does have focus lock, I looked it up. I'm sure grav already does know that. It seems... cruel to offer manual controls for aperture, exposure, iso, but not focus.

xoxoxoBruce 01-27-2016 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think these would be a better as sprucing up the yard than squirrels.

Gravdigr 01-28-2016 08:50 AM

Bruce has been trying to warn us abut these vicious, heartless, murdering bastards:

Gravdigr 01-28-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 952284)
does it have focus lock? If so, point it at something else about the same distance and lock the focus, then reframe and shoot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 952292)
it does have focus lock, I looked it up. I'm sure grav already does know that. It seems... cruel to offer manual controls for aperture, exposure, iso, but not focus.

:D

It also does not like to shoot through windows and/or screens. If you get the telephoto out far enough it will, though. Sometimes.

Gravdigr 01-28-2016 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Coyote tangles with snake in the Everglades ... but is it real?

Attachment 55043

Aww...they're hugging.

:joylove:

footfootfoot 01-28-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 952326)
:D

It also does not like to shoot through windows and/or screens. If you get the telephoto out far enough it will, though. Sometimes.

That's probably because it uses an infra-red focus assist. it 'sees' the glass or screen and 'thinks' that must be what you are wanting to photograph.

What camera is it? Fuji finepix S3280?

Yeah, it doesn't seem to have IR focus, it probably uses contrast to determine focus, The screen has obvious contrast, your window glass may have spots on it and it is picking up on them. The reason you can focus past the window when you zoom is because at long lens focal lengths (i.e. zoomed) the nearest focus distance is increased, so since the camera can't focus on the glass even enough to 'see' the spots or the pattern of the screen, it will look for the next best contrasting thing. "HEY! How about those branches against the sky, way in the back, at the edge of the frame, fucking miles from the thing you want to shoot. How about I focus on them?"

I love all auto everything cameras that are smarter than me. Not

You push the button, we'll do the rest. Don't you worry your sweet little head about nuthin.

BigV 01-29-2016 09:23 PM

It depends on the camera.

I'm often amazed at the quality of the exposure/balance/etc of many of the shots I take on auto with my little Canon G7 X. Really.

Gravdigr 01-30-2016 03:30 PM

For what those cost, it'd damn well better amaze.:speechls:

footfootfoot 01-30-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 952492)
It depends on the camera.

I'm often amazed at the quality of the exposure/balance/etc of many of the shots I take on auto with my little Canon G7 X. Really.

This is exactly the point, They are optimized for many shots and some of the more intelligent meters will "recognize" a dark central shape surrounded by light that is 10 or 12 stops brighter and figure "hmm. probably a person in front of a window. Let's just ignore the 12 stop brighter light and meter off the dark shape."

Which is great when that's the case. but when you want to go off script, it can be problematic.

xoxoxoBruce 01-30-2016 05:51 PM

This Kodak has "scene modes" for...
Portrait Full-frame portraits of people.
Landscape Distant scenes.
Close-up Close range
Flower Close-ups of flowers or other small subjects in bright light.
Sunset Subjects at dusk.
Backlight Subjects that are in shadow or “backlit” (when light is behind the subject).
Candle Light Subjects illuminated by candle light.
Children Action pictures of children in bright light.
Manner/Museum Quiet occasions, like a wedding or lecture. Flash and sound are disabled. Place the camera on a steady surface or tripod.
Text Documents. Place the camera on a steady surface or tripod.
Beach Bright beach scenes.
Snow Bright snow scenes.
Fireworks Place the camera on a steady surface or tripod.
Self-Portrait Close-ups of yourself. Assures proper focus and minimizes red eye.
Night Portrait Reduces red eye of people in night scenes or low-light conditions.
Night Landscape Distant scenery at night. Flash does not fire.
Panning Shot Emphasizing horizontal motion, keeping the foreground sharp.

My old Olympus has...
(Self-Portrait shooting),
(Night scene shooting),
(Landscape+Scene shooting),
(Landscape+Portrait shooting),
(Sports shooting),
(Portrait shooting, factory default setting)
Plus 4 modes you can preset for conditions you know you'll run into.