The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   May 23, 2012 - Riot Gear (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27429)

CaliforniaMama 05-23-2012 09:46 AM

May 23, 2012 - Riot Gear

I was helping my son find images for a poster about the Amendments in the Bill of Rights. He wanted an image of a riot and this is one of the images I came across . . .

http://cellar.org/2012/helmet.jpg

classicman 05-23-2012 10:19 AM

Can't say he didn't warn 'em. :eyebrow:

Aliantha 05-23-2012 06:26 PM

haha...now that is funny! lol

eta, I'm going to steal it and stick it on FB. My kids will get a laugh out of it. :)

SPUCK 05-24-2012 06:00 AM

Now there's truth in advertising!

xoxoxoBruce 05-24-2012 09:58 AM

The cops dress like military storm troopers to mace, taser, and club, peaceful, legal protesters and can't figure out why they get no respect.
Replacing respect for the police, with fear of the police, only leads to escalation of violence. :eyebrow:

infinite monkey 05-24-2012 10:00 AM

Amen, brother.

I knew there was something that needed to be said about that picture but I sure as hell didn't know what it was. That was it.

Cyber Wolf 05-24-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 812935)
The cops dress like military storm troopers to mace, taser, and club, peaceful, legal protesters and can't figure out why they get no respect.
Replacing respect for the police, with fear of the police, only leads to escalation of violence. :eyebrow:

True, but all it takes is that one knucklehead in the sea of peacefuls to throw a bottle and bloody an officer's head.

glatt 05-24-2012 03:20 PM

knucklehead, or agent provocateur?

monster 05-24-2012 07:16 PM

Isn't the image 'shopped?

jimhelm 05-24-2012 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
no, I don't think so....
Attachment 38860

jimhelm 05-24-2012 07:44 PM

actually, the proper usage of you're and your makes me a tad skeptical....

xoxoxoBruce 05-25-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf (Post 812969)
True, but all it takes is that one knucklehead in the sea of peacefuls to throw a bottle and bloody an officer's head.

I'm not saying the shouldn't wear helmets but for christ's sake look at them. The boys in blue have become the storm troopers in black.

And in the case of a knucklehead, (or provocateur), the police have surveillance equipment that enables them to pick one person out of a crowd of thousands by his/her nose hair whorls.

The whole mentality of serve and protect, has morphed to what's written on the helmet in the original post... two examples of that attitude:

1 ~ Remember the retired Philly cop that protested in NY while wearing his uniform? Well the FOP in Philly is trying to kick him out and take away his FOP benefits.

2 ~ A Denver cop convicted of driving 143mph on a 2 lane, no shoulder, 55mph road, at night, with a passenger, while drunk, gets 5 days in jail... and his job back.

infinite monkey 05-25-2012 07:57 AM

It's POTOSHOPPED!

Cyber Wolf 05-25-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 812994)
I'm not saying the shouldn't wear helmets but for christ's sake look at them. The boys in blue have become the storm troopers in black.

And in the case of a knucklehead, (or provocateur), the police have surveillance equipment that enables them to pick one person out of a crowd of thousands by his/her nose hair whorls.

Well, the gear looks like that for protection's sake, not to look scary and intimidating. Its form follows their function. Their purpose isn't to look inviting or friendly or sexy. They just happen to look scary too, thanks to presentation in movies and TV. Besides, the only time we ever really see crown-to-sole protective gear on cops is when they're in a position to be easily portrayed (and often are) as The Bad Guys in a situation. The riot gear is rarely ever associated with the cops being heroes. They're billed as heroes when they're killed while on duty, but not when they're dressed to protect themselves from the potential of riot damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 812994)
The whole mentality of serve and protect, has morphed to what's written on the helmet in the original post... two examples of that attitude:

1 ~ Remember the retired Philly cop that protested in NY while wearing his uniform? Well the FOP in Philly is trying to kick him out and take away his FOP benefits.

2 ~ A Denver cop convicted of driving 143mph on a 2 lane, no shoulder, 55mph road, at night, with a passenger, while drunk, gets 5 days in jail... and his job back.

Not disagreeing with this at all. At the same time, there are guys in the force who hate that this is how some people see the police force as a whole. They have their own knuckleheads, just like the peaceful march often has a few idiots who break windows or damage cars on the way. In their case, unfortunately, a lot of the knuckleheads are the ones in charge or in decision-making positions.

xoxoxoBruce 05-25-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf (Post 813042)
Well, the gear looks like that for protection's sake, not to look scary and intimidating. Its form follows their function.

http://cellar.org/2012/scarycops.jpg
Right, I'm sure they aren't trying to look scary. :rolleyes:
It's the the militarization of the American police.

Quote:

They just happen to look scary too, thanks to presentation in movies and TV.
TV? Yes, the evening news, several times a week.
Quote:

Besides, the only time we ever really see crown-to-sole protective gear on cops is when they're in a position to be easily portrayed (and often are) as The Bad Guys in a situation. The riot gear is rarely ever associated with the cops being heroes.
Because when they're dressed that way they're not being heroes, they are being instigators of violence, or tools of the stupid "War on Drugs".

Quote:

...At the same time, there are guys in the force who hate that this is how some people see the police force as a whole.
I'm sure you're right, I'd even venture it's the majority, but that doesn't stop the Blue Code of Silence.

Not long ago I witnessed a rogue cop being a complete dick, breaking eleventeen laws, and abusing the shit out of a innocent couple. All the while eight other cops stood around shaking their heads, rolling their eyes, face palming, and not doing a god damn thing about it.