The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Whatcha doing with your isolation? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34972)

Griff 03-16-2020 03:43 PM

Whatcha doing with your isolation?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to do a mess of training tomorrow but today...

monster 03-16-2020 04:12 PM

Apparently I am spending it ranting :D :

I was planning to and trying to do job applications but fell at the first hurdle because I can't get the stupid PDF to save once completed so I decided just to do a hard copy and then my printer broke. And I just spent a tone of $$ on ink. So now I'm being beyond pretty goddamn miserable :(

I did clear another elephant out of another room though. Same source as the last one, although this was a comparative baby. But my printer and unemployment woes are overshadowing any joy from that right now. Going to go for a walk to see if that helps, and double that with disposing of the last limb of the baby elephant. (dropping unused meds off for safe disposal)

I hate technology and its current inbuilt obsolescence. Have some fucking balls HP and stand by your products, even if they are a couple years old. printers should not expire.

oops sorry. now I guess I'm smiling a little at least after editing to add the first sentence :)

Griff 03-16-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1048602)
Apparently I am spending it ranting :D :

There's our girl!

Clodfobble 03-16-2020 05:15 PM

I'm used to spending 8 hours a day alone in my house. I like it. I am accomplishing very little with all these interlopers. :(

monster 03-16-2020 05:45 PM

I also just walked around my neighborhood and picked up trash. And got stabbed to bleeding point through my gloves by a vicious buckthorn as I ventured into the nature area to extract a particularly obnoxious piece of plastic packaging. No good deed goes unpunished :rolleyes:

xoxoxoBruce 03-17-2020 12:02 AM

Ranting is good, it's a healthy safety valve, and doing in the Cellar maintains more than an arm's length. Win, win. :cool:

Griff 03-17-2020 06:32 AM

We can get together for a St Paddy's Day concert.

http://www.dropkickmurphys.com/home/

Livestreaming at 7 pm

glatt 03-17-2020 08:26 AM

This house is small when four people are wandering around in it 24/7. Camping was good over the weekend. Really helped mental health, but all this being cooped up together, we have to be mindful of being kind to one another.

fargon 03-17-2020 05:10 PM

Today I'm smoking a corned beef brisket. Yay!

lumberjim 03-17-2020 06:13 PM

we're open, so I'm at work. me and about 20 other people watching tumbleweed blow through the showroom. This is getting scary.

I went to Total Wine and loaded up just in case they close that. Tomorrow morning, I'll hit Wegmans and get some foods. Then Home Despot to get the last pieces of molding I need to finish the hall project. Once that's done, I need to paint it. And then there's yard work...

I don't expect our store to close, but we might as well be if it's going to be like this.

Gravdigr 03-17-2020 09:10 PM

All the bars are closed. Restaurants are closed. Ain't no bread. Ain't no tp.

I ain't doing a goddamned thing with my isolation.

So I isolated myself at the river and got high as shit.

monster 03-17-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1048676)

What kind of paper did you use to roll that? and did you add some herbs?

monster 03-17-2020 09:30 PM

today I may have "mended" the (fake) marble threshold tile thing (what is the name of that?) across the step up into the en-suite bathroom. It was always cracked in two places, but when I hurriedly hauled by suitcase in there for a last minute weight check as I left for Florida last month, I lifted two of the pieces clean off :( Today I cemented them back down and redid the surrounded grout, so it ain't perfect, but it's as good as it was. Will check if it's secure enough in the morning. And I ran 3 miles in a decent time.

And tried to fix my printer. Again. failed again. Beest fixed it before when this happened, but I don't know what he did and can't ask him. frustrating rather than sad, though, so maybe I'm making progress on that.... I do need a new printer most likely but I just bought and installed a new expensive on-brand cart so I'm fucked if I'll give up that easily... :D

And I tidied a small corned of clutter in my lair.

And I pruned the roses and a few other bits outside. took down some winter festive season lights.

pottering

failed on the job apps

limey 03-18-2020 11:32 AM

Working. One online provider of translation memory software has offered free temporary access to an online version of their software to assist more remote working. But most of us translators are isolated at home all the time anyway ...

fargon 03-18-2020 04:22 PM

Me: Today I'm smoking a corned beef brisket. Yay!
Monster: What kind of paper did you use to roll that? and did you add some herbs?
Not paper foil, with beef broth and a touch of Apple Cider Vinegar.
As far as seasoning, started with a slather of Wooster sauce and stupid yellow mustered. Then I applied a rub of pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. I used a store bought Hormel corned beef. Smoked for three hours with Oak, then wrapped in foil with beef broth to an internal temperature of 205F.
We had Reubens for dinner.

fargon 03-18-2020 04:24 PM

6 hours start to finish. On a 22 in Weber Kettle.

Gravdigr 03-18-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1048686)
and did you add some herbs?

I bet there was herb involved.:blunt:

fargon 03-18-2020 04:27 PM

Herb defiantly made an appearance.

Griff 03-18-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1048745)
Me: Today I'm smoking a corned beef brisket. Yay!
Monster: What kind of paper did you use to roll that? and did you add some herbs?
Not paper foil, with beef broth and a touch of Apple Cider Vinegar.
As far as seasoning, started with a slather of Wooster sauce and stupid yellow mustered. Then I applied a rub of pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. I used a store bought Hormel corned beef. Smoked for three hours with Oak, then wrapped in foil with beef broth to an internal temperature of 205F.
We had Reubens for dinner.

Want!

fargon 03-18-2020 04:30 PM

Come on over I got a couple of pounds left.

Griff 03-18-2020 04:32 PM

Electric Lettuce and Meat? Worth the risk!

Clodfobble 03-18-2020 04:55 PM

Ugh. Son is more on edge than I'd realized. Unfortunate timing meant a small panic on his part (of the "oh no I'm going to be late" variety) that I couldn't come defuse because I was busy attending to his sister's doctor's appointment over Skype, and this led to him going into his room to scream into a pillow and thrash until he'd gotten it out of his system. It's a deliberate coping technique we've taught him, and worked in the short term until I could sort out his problem, but I'm not thrilled that this relatively small thing was a pillow-screaming level event.

Gravdigr 03-18-2020 04:58 PM

Instead of a pillow, I go to the river and scream my bloody head off.

It works. Kinda. Sometimes.

Griff 03-18-2020 04:59 PM

Oof. Gonna be a long home stand.

fargon 03-18-2020 05:00 PM

I just smoke a bowl.

Clodfobble 03-18-2020 05:25 PM

Alas, getting my 13-year-old hooked on pot is probably not a viable option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Oof. Gonna be a long home stand.

As of right now, most of his stress is coming from not knowing what "online school" is going to look like. We're supposed to get an email tomorrow with more information, so if we're lucky by Monday or Tuesday he'll settle in.

BigV 03-18-2020 07:23 PM

I feel like I've had a two month head start on all of you.

Socially distant.

Working exclusively online.

My home time is being spent alone though because Twil is still going to work.

I miss human contact. When I recently (two weeks ago, before the doors *everywhere* slammed shut) had to appear in person at the unemployment office for a reemployment plan meeting, it was kind of a joy to get dressed, have my paperwork in order, drive to an office and talk with other office people.

I "work" at my "office" each day, searching for suitable job openings and applying where appropriate. I record my work and submit my job search log each week when I make my unemployment insurance claim.

I do some chores around the house, I've had a couple projects and it's only recently been nice enough outside to do outside work. I walked around the back yard and noticed up close the effect the deer visits are having on everything green within four or five feet of the ground. Locusts come to mind.

monster 03-18-2020 10:50 PM

I hear that. But loneliness was already starting to break me... :/

Today I started off with a big cry. Followed it with a whine on facebook, then got an email about a job interview by phone, so panicked a bit, watched irrelevant shit on youtube, went for a walk, did the interview. I hunted for the bits I bought to mend the broken kitchen drawers, but didn't find them so started on the beer and interwebs. My eyes still feel like I've been recently crying even though I stopped hours ago. probably I should try to go to bed earlier. Less productive than previous days. maybe tomorrow I will make up for it?

lumberjim 03-18-2020 11:00 PM

You'll be ok, meow

Griff 03-19-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1048769)

As of right now, most of his stress is coming from not knowing what "online school" is going to look like. We're supposed to get an email tomorrow with more information, so if we're lucky by Monday or Tuesday he'll settle in.

Turns out, he's a lot like me. Apparently, we have permission to tele-meet (er somethin) for fewer hours with our folks to prevent regression. Naturally I have Frontier the worst internet provider in the country,so we'll see how this goes. I'm trying not to freak out about it, but what I love about my job is the face to face this may not be great for me. Fuck I hate being on the phone let alone facetime.

limey 03-19-2020 09:54 AM

I’ve just turned leftover chicken thighs from a big batch stew into paprika chicken, chicken curry, and chicken and lentil soup, all for the freezer. Trying to have a stock of easy to cook foods in case we fall ill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gravdigr 03-19-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1048795)
You'll be ok, meow

Meow stop that, stoppit right meow.

DanaC 03-20-2020 04:34 PM

I havent really experienced it so much yet. I am generally alone in my house when not working anyway, though I do usually go to mum's house at some point most days ... at the moment I am still working, which also mans Mum having Carrot at hers during the day - I was already dropping him down of a morning rather than her picking him up in the car middayish, because of her recent op. So right now the only real difference is that I drop him at the gate rather than in the house and then when I get back from work, I dont go into her house, she comes out with both dogs and she walks Nelle partway up the hill with me and Carrot then I carry on the rest of the way home - we keep a bit of distance between us while we walk now.

When our laptops have been sorted out and we can work from home, then I think I;m going to feel it. I love being by myself and often crave more time to just be on my own at home, but from a mental health perspective, I know I am better when I am going into a workplace at least some of the time.

At least i won't be bored if I am working at home - just hope the network doesnt crash under the pressure lol

Griff 03-20-2020 05:01 PM

lol. My internet issues may become a problem but we're working on it. Hopefully we can squeeze out just enough bandwidth.

I decided to feed on the porch for convenience. Social distancing with 10s of thousands of my closest friends.

xoxoxoBruce 03-21-2020 12:02 AM

Whatta ya mean 10s of thousands, how many do you have, just count up the birth certificates and/or title transfers.

footfootfoot 03-21-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1048676)

So envious!

footfootfoot 03-21-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1048911)
lol. My internet issues may become a problem but we're working on it. Hopefully we can squeeze out just enough bandwidth.

I decided to feed on the porch for convenience. Social distancing with 10s of thousands of my closest friends.

Cleansing flight or are they out and about already?

footfootfoot 03-21-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1048769)

Fire up Khan academy and say it's going to be something like this. assuming it will be something like that so you don't then have the fallout of "it's not anything like you said"

Griff 03-21-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 1048962)
Cleansing flight or are they out and about already?

The warm weather has them out. It's cold here today but next week we're in the 50s again. They've been on the crocuses for the last week.

BigV 03-21-2020 05:28 PM

re isolation

I'm trying to remember the last time the kids visited and I hugged them. They've been here since them, but all physically distant while socially connected. it is weird and saddening inside.

limey 03-21-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1049013)
re isolation

I'm trying to remember the last time the kids visited and I hugged them. They've been here since them, but all physically distant while socially connected. it is weird and saddening inside.

I heard a theory that the virus spread so quickly in Italy because they are such huggy family people, so you’re probably doing the right thing. But it’s tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flint 03-21-2020 10:19 PM

Setting up a large drumset, with lots of toms and cymbals and pedals, because I don't need to keep a "gig ready" set-up (bars are closed).

I brought a large punching bag into my room and I'm using it as a weight bench, on the floor, and lifting weights when I feel stir crazy.

Also, I'm still going to work, because my department never closes, so I've been doing a lot of disinfecting door handles, light switches, car keys, steering wheels, cell phones, laptops, anything I pack out when going to/from home/work. I disinfect my entire office every morning before taking my backpack off, I wash my hands every time I enter or leave a room, I only touch surfaces that I can trust, and I take off all my scrubs and throw them in the laundry room immediately upon getting home. Then, I stay in my bedroom/bathroom and keep it hygienically quarantined from the the kitchen. So... those are some of my activities too...

xoxoxoBruce 03-21-2020 11:29 PM

Cover all that shit with copper foil.

Griff 03-22-2020 08:23 AM

Refused a mtb ride with friends today. Trying to take a flattened curve seriously.

fargon 03-22-2020 02:06 PM

Today is smoked beef back ribs.

Griff 03-22-2020 04:56 PM

Aw yeah. Pete has ribs dry rubbed and waiting for tomorrow.

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2020 01:36 AM

Gnawing on ribs... good practice for the coming famine and cannibalism.:unsure:

Griff 03-24-2020 06:44 AM

Like I said, I've been training my whole life for this!

Gravdigr 03-24-2020 10:46 AM

I'm. Losing. My. Mind.

Griff 03-24-2020 11:00 AM

I'm going to force myself into a routine.

I meditated for a few minutes today, cleaned some surfaces, tidied my work area and made arrangements for tele-meetings... I'm gonna snow ride the bike this afternoon.

DanaC 03-24-2020 12:45 PM

Ordinarily I have very little trouble just being by myself doing not very much. Today isn't even a day I would normally be working, because it's my saturday week so I get a day off in the week. But I still feel completely at a loose end and can't settle to anything.

Gravdigr 03-24-2020 01:37 PM

My house is too small for three people to be in it all the time.:smashfrea

fargon 03-24-2020 01:55 PM

I'm gonna snow ride the bike this afternoon.

You still have snow?

Griff 03-24-2020 02:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah, the snow was gone but then it snowed all day yesterday.

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2020 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
happy dog...

footfootfoot 03-24-2020 07:45 PM

Turkey tracks?

Griff 03-24-2020 08:39 PM

Yeah. I saw a pretty big gobbler on the hill a couple days ago.

glatt 03-25-2020 08:45 AM

Arlington County Virginia has just asked homeowners to please stop it with the spring cleaning during the Coronavirus lock down.

They are being completely overwhelmed with garbage pickup, and have announce that they will temporarily suspend collecting mattresses, furniture, and appliances.

I have to laugh because it's true. On our street everyone is doing heavy spring cleaning and Marie Kondo-ing all their shit. I grabbed a nice office chair being tossed out across the street. I needed one too, because the cushion on mine was breaking down. I left the trash picked chair on the front porch in the sun for a few days before bringing it inside. It's perfect. Gives good support without being too comfortable.

Griff 03-25-2020 08:56 AM

I never would have thought about that but it makes sense.

monster 03-25-2020 11:46 AM

I just changed the filter in the furnace.