The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Crafty DIYers (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31523)

BigV 01-19-2016 10:54 PM

so the corners are rounded off not for ease of assembly, but for the ease of the ass

/thighs

xoxoxoBruce 01-19-2016 10:59 PM

I believe you're correct. Or he accidently chipped one corner and made the rest match. :haha:

xoxoxoBruce 01-20-2016 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like one of grandpa's, or great grandpa's. Olde Tyme craftsmanship.

xoxoxoBruce 01-22-2016 12:35 AM

Since everybody is playing Paul Revere yelling, the snow is coming, the snow is coming, I'll slip in another one of mine. :unsure:

http://cellar.org/2015/mymirror.jpg

I had tons of small scrap pieces of various types of wood, so I laid out what I wanted on a piece of plywood, kind of an oval with squared off ends, I think if I hadn't squared the ends it would have been six foot. Screwed it down to my work table.
Aside; that work table is recycled bowling alley, on shortened wooden file card cabinets.

I cut the pieces of wood so the were more or less pointing to the center, then glued them together and to the plywood, I didn't have a planer at the time, and cutting those little pieces to the same thickness on the tablesaw is scary. Since I'm a pussy, I figured after they were glued I'd even them up with a belt sander, but I didn't relish the amount of dust that would make in the cellar. So I took a couple of steel tubes with blocks of wood on each end, and used the router like a manual milling machine cutting the glued blocks to uniform height. Then cut the outline in the blocks and plywood with a Jig/Saber Saw and sanded smooth.

Then and only then, 'cause Mama didn't raise no fools, 'cept my brother, carefully made a paper template of the opening. Took that to the mirror store and said make me a half inch beveled mirror this shape... Oh, and this side up in case my hand cut opening was a little wonky. I'd measured and eyeballed the hell out of it, but it had to be right on the money. Covered with two part Bar Finish epoxy... I'd have preferred a flat finish but chicks like shiny. Covered the back with thin plywood and the mirror is glued to that

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out the reflection in the mirror. I was sure that's my spare bedroom by the half curtains and wood shutters, but it looks like a black rollaway toolbox and I never had one. After much photoshoping I discovered three's an amp and tom-toms. OK, that's when a friends band was using that room for rehearsals. Duh. :smack:

Griff 01-22-2016 06:20 AM

What you won't do for the ladies. :)

Nice piece of work.

fargon 01-22-2016 06:24 AM

Whs^

xoxoxoBruce 01-22-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 951910)
What you won't do for the ladies. :)

Quote:

There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani.
:facepalm:

Happy Monkey 01-23-2016 10:40 AM

Awesome bedroom.

xoxoxoBruce 01-23-2016 10:56 AM

Honey, I've finished the bedroom, call our daughter and have her bring her children to see it. :lol:

Every time I see one of these fantastic kid bedrooms, and this one is fantastic, I wonder if they realize how fast the kids grow up. Maybe that's why he built it strong enough for three adults. ;)

Griff 01-23-2016 11:56 AM

That is awesome. It also acts as a deterrent to adult children moving back and a honey pot for Grandchildren visiting.

xoxoxoBruce 01-28-2016 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Leather doors...

xoxoxoBruce 01-30-2016 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One guy in Hawaii...
Quote:

Albizia, aka "The Tree That Ate Puna," is a highly invasive pest. Land with a lot of albizia growing on it is less valuable than an equivalent lot with no albizia on it, because of the cost of removing the undesirable trees.
The wood is weak and brittle, leading to its most notorious feature... dropping heavy branches with no warning. It has been responsible for numerous downed power lines, crushed roofs, injuries, etc. as well as strangling out ohia forest. It is unsuitable for structural uses.
It can be burned.
But another Hawaiian...
Quote:

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - They are known for their broad canopies and brittle branches. Albizia trees are a nuisance to some, and something to eradicate for others. But for Gary Young albizia is a choice wood.
"I started looking around at what grew here. Albizia was sort of an abundant resource," he said.
Young turns that abundant resource into surfboards. For years he has used albizia wood and an epoxy laminate to craft a board he claims is as strong as a fiberglass surfboard.
"They weigh the same or less than a fiberglass board. And they have higher durability," he said.
Young is a seasoned surfboard maker. He has built them out of wood since 1976, using koa, bamboo, and now albizia.
"It's the best material I've ever worked with," he said.

xoxoxoBruce 02-01-2016 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More grog, wench!

glatt 02-01-2016 02:31 PM

I like that picnic table. Looks easy to make at first glance, but it's a bit trickier than it seems. Getting those flats of the logs even with one another to make a smooth table top when the logs are all different thicknesses. I imagine they are notched underneath, but would like to know.

xoxoxoBruce 02-01-2016 09:54 PM

Could lay the half logs face down and level a plank across them. Then run a skillsaw or router along the plank to make notches of even depth to the faces.

Or rough out notches in a stringer then set the half logs in the notches with epoxy to make them even. Have to take the bark off though.