The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Isolated Tracks (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19010)

Flint 12-15-2008 10:24 PM

Isolated Tracks

What gems can you find?

I stumbled upon this testing out my new Bose desktop speakers. DO NOT TURN IT UP LOUD.
It is an isolated track, everything but the bass guitar is pulled completely out of the mix.

What can I say about this?
"Goddamnit baby you know I ain't lyin' to ya--I'm only gonna tell you one time--AAAAAAyea-ah!"

Undertoad 12-16-2008 08:12 AM

Gawd Entwhistle is glorious. I've never heard better playing on a song I hate. As somebody said on the comments, take out the rest of those guys and the song is actually pretty good.

There's a Baba O'Riley isolation track too and here we can all see how much the guy's talents were wasted on two-chord songs. We've played Baba before and I can't tell you how boring it is to play. I'm sure Entwhistle added all those fancy flourishes just so he wouldn't be bored.

Flint 12-16-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 514074)
I'm sure Entwhistle added all those fancy flourishes just so he wouldn't be bored.

I got the same impression; but what's amazing is that he does it in such a way as to not call attention to what he's doing. He's sneaking activity into places in the song where it won't be heard as an individual instrument. Much the same way that "ghosted" snare notes can build a groove while being practically inaudible, or the rich, even undertones of a ride cymbal can provide a "cushion" for the band to float on top of.

But more than that, as you've mentioned about Entwhistle before, he has to add "glue" to help stick the other instruments together. It's team playing.

dar512 12-16-2008 11:40 AM

@Flint - Have you considered drumming in a jazz group -- and moving to Chicago? :D

glatt 12-16-2008 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 514031)
Isolated Tracks
What gems can you find?

Cicero 12-16-2008 12:21 PM

I am trying to isolate sounds with "audacity". If someone knows how to do this let me know. :)

I really haven't had enough time to play with it, so if someone can give a quick and easy answer, that would be awesome!

glatt 12-16-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 514134)
I am trying to isolate sounds with "audacity". If someone knows how to do this let me know. :)

I really haven't had enough time to play with it, so if someone can give a quick and easy answer, that would be awesome!

It's been a few months since I used it, but I don't remember anything that would let you do that easily or with much success.

Cicero 12-16-2008 12:34 PM

Hmm....Well that's why I got it, so my search for freeware should continue.

It's working ok for now, but at some point I will want to isolate certain sounds...darn. I thought it was "the one" and I wasn't using it right.

Maybe new speakers at some point, are in order, and I will have more options.
Thnx glatt. :)

Clodfobble 12-16-2008 12:35 PM

If you're talking about two sounds that play on top of one another... That's really hard. If you have a copy of the *exact* sound that you want to get RID of, you can invert that waveform, line it up perfectly with the first audiofile, and the sounds will cancel each other out, in theory leaving you with the sound you want. But the realistic answer is, there's no way to do it even with the fanciest of plugins.

Cicero 12-16-2008 12:48 PM

Thanks. At least that inspired me to find something else I needed that I hadn't thought about. ;)

Pie 12-16-2008 01:21 PM

I hate to sound like an absolute moron (and yet I do it so well!) -- what song is that?

glatt 12-16-2008 01:34 PM

The second one is Running With The Devil

Don't know what the first one is.

Pie 12-16-2008 01:39 PM

Thanks, Glatt -- I meant the first one! :p

glatt 12-16-2008 01:41 PM

Yeah, I know. But you looked lonely in the moron corner, so I thought I would join you.

Undertoad 12-16-2008 01:42 PM

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who