The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone heard of the Free State Project? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5042)

Troubleshooter 02-13-2004 10:11 AM

Anyone heard of the Free State Project?

http://www.freestateproject.org

The Free State Project is a plan in which 20,000 or more liberty-oriented people will move to New Hampshire, where they may work within the political system to reduce the size and scope of government. The success of the Free State Project would likely entail reductions in burdensome taxation and regulation, reforms in state and local law, an end to federal mandates, and a restoration of constitutional federalism, demonstrating the benefits of liberty to the rest of the nation and the world.

Happy Monkey 02-13-2004 10:13 AM

Best of luck to 'em. And to the current population of New Hampshire.

Troubleshooter 02-13-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Happy Monkey
Best of luck to 'em. And to the current population of New Hampshire.
Speaking off the cuff or after reading some of the web site?

Undertoad 02-13-2004 02:13 PM

We actually went around this with Radar at one point.

If I recall he found a minor philosophical quibble and quit the project.

If you go there and then have a philosophical change of heart, do you have to move?

Griff 02-13-2004 02:18 PM

Wasn't it that Radar has some unnatural aversion to NH?

Speaking of Radar, he didn't die from the flu over there, did he?

Telefunken 02-13-2004 02:29 PM

What's wrong with NH? Sure we put liquor stores right off of interstate highways but we're the kind of people that trust other peoples' judgement.

Happy Monkey 02-13-2004 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Troubleshooter
Speaking off the cuff or after reading some of the web site?
A little of both. I read about it last year, while they were deciding where to go. I say good luck to them, because I think it's an interesting experiment that I'd like to see succeed. I say good luck to the current inhabitants because it would be infuriating for a ton of newbies to move in en masse and start changing all the rules like they own the place. Hopefully they can work it out to mutual satisfaction, but I forsee conflict.

Troubleshooter 02-13-2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Happy Monkey
A little of both. I read about it last year, while they were deciding where to go. I say good luck to them, because I think it's an interesting experiment that I'd like to see succeed. I say good luck to the current inhabitants because it would be infuriating for a ton of newbies to move in en masse and start changing all the rules like they own the place. Hopefully they can work it out to mutual satisfaction, but I forsee conflict.
Yeah, I definitely see conflict, but it appears on the surface to be changes in line with their motto at least.

juju 02-13-2004 04:10 PM

Could this be seen as exploiting a loophole in the idea of the electoral college?

Troubleshooter 02-13-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by juju
Could this be seen as exploiting a loophole in the idea of the electoral college?
How so?

juju 02-13-2004 04:20 PM

I guess the electoral college was created in an era where states were seen as independent entities, bound together through a common union. State rights and patriotism were important. Today, they aren't, and the entire system serves only to concentrate more votes in the hands of very few.

So, these people, who are very few, are exploiting that system by moving an area where their votes will have more weight.

Troubleshooter 02-13-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by juju
I guess the electoral college was created in an era where states were seen as independent entities, bound together through a common union. State rights and patriotism were important. Today, they aren't, and the entire system serves only to concentrate more votes in the hands of very few.

So, these people, who are very few, are exploiting that system by moving an area where their votes will have more weight.

I see it as more as a model of a way to pull some of the power back into the hands of the state.

xoxoxoBruce 02-15-2004 09:36 PM

Won't happen in NH. NH is full of MA commuters that want more, more, more. They moved to NH for lower taxes and bucolic scenery. Immediately banished the farmers and their flies to the far north and demanded curbs, sidewalks, fire hydrants, water, sewer, schools and said what the hell happened to paradise? Duh.