The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I don't have a dog in this fight, but... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26073)

piercehawkeye45 12-06-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormieweather (Post 778170)
I don't think that is possible. The very foundation of religion IS a system of "beliefs". Many of the more extreme religions disallow tolerance, insisting that conversion and obedience to their dogma is the only acceptable way to live.

How is that different from Catholicism or Islam? The only difference is that we are not used to people of Mormon faith distancing themselves from the fundamentalist level while we are used to it with Catholicism or Islam.

DanaC 12-06-2011 10:55 AM

I had a couple of really good friends through my gaming guild who were mormons. Years ago, but they were lovely people.

I don't really see them as being that diffferent to many other Christian denominations. I remember having a conversation once with Talon (one of the mormons) about the notion in their reading of creation, that the tribe that turned from God and were cast out and marked by black complexion were the origins of black people...

I considered that racist. He considered it ancient history. Since his wife was a black lass it seemed unlikely he saw that history as in any way relevant to his world today.

classicman 12-06-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 778048)
Just because he would allow civil unions does not mean Huntsman is a champion for gay rights.

At this time, this is not a MAJOR issue to me. We have MUCH BIGGER problems to deal with.
Quote:

Huntsman takes into account the growing acceptance on the part of the public of the gay life style and supports civil unions. Yet he is against "redefining marriage."
Well said, again marriage and civil unions are not the same thing.

infinite monkey 12-06-2011 11:19 AM

Gays have just as much right to go through a shitty divorce as everyone else.

LIke marriage is so special and unattainable and hard to do. People hop from one to another like they're riding the rails to PerfectLand. Pffffft.

*shrugs*

classicman 12-06-2011 11:52 AM

Gah - communication breakdown ...
To some, marriage is a religious contract, a civil union is not.
Essentially the same, but without that one element. Is it right, fair, just... not the issue.
All I am saying is that some do not view the two as equal with respect to the religious component
and that is a BIG difference to those people.
I am not saying they cannot nor should not have all the same benefits,
just that the two terms have different meanings to some.

infinite monkey 12-06-2011 12:03 PM

I wasn't directing toward you, c-man. It was really just an off-handed comment on my part.

You know, my tongue-in-cheek observations, for which I am disdained at best, ignored at worst.

Such brilliance is not for normal human consumption.

;)

Lamplighter 12-06-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778201)
Gah - communication breakdown ...
Essentially the same, but without that one element. Is it right, fair, just... not the issue.
All I am saying is that some do not view the two as equal with respect to the religious component

All that follows is my personal opinion even if it is dogmatic. :king:

If marriage is a "religious contract", then should it be a matter of federal law
providing for - or protecting - some citizens, but not others?

If one agrees that separate is not equal, then the "civil unions"
are only the current step in the direction of equal civil rights for everyone.
Anyone believing they are equal, essentially owns the burden of proof
to justify and to rectify each and every instance of inequality.

It would be easier to change the word "marriage" throughout our laws
to mean only the religious contract within any given religion,
and to have all legal aspects of "marriage license"
changed to words meaning something akin to "civil union".

In any case, whether one believes a candidate will separate his "religion" or beliefs
from his "elected office" is simply a matter of each person's own judgment
of the candidate... no rules to be followed, just personal perception.

Isn't it odd that we don't usually even consider such an issue
with a candidate whose religion is similar to our own.

Happy Monkey 12-06-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778185)

How are they different from the government's perspective, ie the perspective from which we should care at all what any politician says about it? Any difference would be discriminatory, as far as I can tell.

classicman 12-06-2011 08:20 PM

Agreed. My point was the terminology.

Happy Monkey 12-06-2011 08:22 PM

If they mean the same thing, then why would the government have one word for straight marriage and another for gay marriage?

classicman 12-06-2011 08:45 PM

Whoa, back up a sec. You just equated "civil union" with "gay marriage"
Civil marriages are not sanctioned under religious law, marriage is.
Thats the difference I was referring to.
If you have an issue with the government ask your representative, I have.

Happy Monkey 12-06-2011 08:53 PM

What's the difference, from the government's perspective? People married by a justice of the peace are currently married, from the government's perspective, without any religious sanction. Under the regime of a politician who supports civil unions but not gay marriage, gays married by a church would still get a civil union.

So, again, I ask you. What's the difference, from the government's perspective, between marriage and civil union?

If there's no difference, then there's no need for different words. If there is a difference, then it's discrimination.

ZenGum 12-06-2011 09:34 PM

In France, they brough in Civil Unions to appease the gay lobby, or so they thought.

Last I heard, around 30% of heterosexual couples were getting civil unions and bypassing the Church completely. :lol:

Naturally the Churchy-types freaked.

:2cents:
ALL marriages should be civil unions. Anyone wishing to do a church ritual is free to do so, but this should be irrelevant to the legal status of the union.

classicman 12-06-2011 09:56 PM

I was just stating the fact that the terminology is an issue for many people.
Personally, I think that any union - marriage or whatever between two humans
should have the same legal/governmental rights as all the rest whether they be gay,
straight, bi, trans ... wtfe. (No Hobos though) It matters not to me PERSONALLY.
Quote:

So, again, I ask you. What's the difference, from the government's perspective, between marriage and civil union?
So again, I reply - If you have an issue with the government's perspective ask your representative.

ETA - Sorry Zen. Missed your post while composing mine.

Happy Monkey 12-06-2011 10:32 PM

I don't have a representative. I'm asking a person who at least twice said that marriage and civil unions were different things. But the only distinction you have made is religious sanction, which should not be, and is not currently, a distinction under the law.

When a politician says they don't support marriage for gays, but they do support civil unions, and you applaud their making that distinction, I am asking you what that means for the law. Which is the perspective that matters when a politician says it. He's not running for pope.

Huntsman (in this instance, but also Obama, among others) said he didn't support "redefining marriage", but that is exactly what he would have to do if he supported a government policy that people who were married by a justice of the peace are no longer married, as Lamplighter and ZenGum suggest.

If, on the other hand, he wants to keep current marriage law in place for straight people, but make up a new class of marriage for gay people, but with a different name, that sounds like discrimination to me.

classicman 12-06-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

I don't have a representative. I'm asking a person who at least twice said that marriage and civil unions were different things.
I never said I personally believed that. I repeatedly said ....
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778022)
marriage and civil unions are not considered the same thing by some

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778201)

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778306)
Civil marriages are not sanctioned under religious law, marriage is.
Thats the difference I was referring to.

If you have an issue with the government ask your representative.

Quote:

I don't have a representative.
Bullshit. You live in DC. They're as common as cockroaches.

Happy Monkey 12-06-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778329)
I never said I personally believed that. I repeatedly said ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778185)

Is that not your personal belief?

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778306)

I should back up from equating them, but you take umbrage when I attribute to you the belief that they are different?

Quote:

These "some" only seem to be making the distinction when it comes to gays. I don't seem to remember a drumbeat about redefining marriage when it comes to marriages by justices of the peace. This isn't about non-religious marriages, it's about gays.

Quote:

Bullshit. You live in DC. They're as common as cockroaches.
None of them are mine, and the ones who take notice of DC residents usually only do so to overturn DC law as a political stunt.

classicman 12-06-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 778333)
Is that not your personal belief?

NO IT IS NOT! FERFUXACHE - ARE YOU BLIND?
Quote:

I should back up from equating them, but you take umbrage when I attribute to you the belief that they are different?
Yes I do, I have clearly said what I think.
Dude, are you high or something?

Did you miss this part?
Quote:

Personally, I think that any union - marriage or whatever between
two humans should have the same legal/governmental rights as all the rest
whether they be gay, straight, bi, trans.It matters not to me PERSONALLY.

ZenGum 12-06-2011 11:53 PM

The way you two are going on ... are you married to EACH OTHER? :D

Lamplighter 12-06-2011 11:53 PM

:D

classicman 12-07-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 778338)
The way you two are going on ... are you married to EACH OTHER? :D

If thats the case, I demand a divorce!

ZenGum 12-07-2011 05:05 PM

Counselling?

Think of the children!

TheMercenary 12-07-2011 09:30 PM

The process is exposed.

No attacks on Cain for his 9-9-9 plan. No attacks on him for his foreign policy. No attacks on him for his mission statements. Only attacks on his past personal behavior.

Maybe he should have just waited for his wife to get breast cancer, beginning a long slow death, and then have an affair outside of his marriage or a baby out of wedlock, then and only then, maybe the Demoncrats would have accepted him as one of their own....

Happy Monkey 12-07-2011 09:40 PM

Or, as it happens, the Republicans, vis-a-vis Newt, who cheated on his dying wife, and is now the frontrunner.

There was plenty of discussion of how bad Cain was on 999 and foreign policy. More "making fun of" than "attacks", perhaps, because his stupidity with regard to both made it hard to take him seriously enough to "attack".

TheMercenary 12-07-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 778681)
Or, as it happens, the Republicans, vis-a-vis Newt, who cheated on his dying wife, and is now the frontrunner.

There was plenty of discussion of how bad Cain was on 999 and foreign policy. More "making fun of" than "attacks", perhaps, because his stupidity with regard to both made it hard to take him seriously enough to "attack".

Cool! So he is in good company. Did Newt also crank out a baby at the time and then deny it to the press? Or did he just divert campaign money to feed his whore? Oh, wait, that was the other guy. DID Newt squirt his DNA on the dress of his girl friend in the White House and disgrace the office of the president? Nope.

classicman 12-07-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 778674)

Maybe he should have just waited for his wife to get breast cancer, beginning a long slow death, and then have an affair outside of his marriage or a baby out of wedlock, then and only then,

maybe .... he could have been more like Newt.

Neither side gets a pass on this shit. None of them are really worthy.

TheMercenary 12-07-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 778689)
maybe .... he could have been more like Newt.

Or maybe more like John Edwards. The Dems might have fallen in love with him...

classicman 12-07-2011 10:13 PM

Take your pic. don't see much difference between the two.

ZenGum 12-08-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

The process is exposed.

No attacks on Cain for his 9-9-9 plan. No attacks on him for his foreign policy. No attacks on him for his mission statements. Only attacks on his past personal behavior.

:lol2:

What's the weather like on Planet Merc?

Cain had already been considered and dismissed on the grounds of his tax plan, foreign ignorance and general lack of ability. Everyone except the Republican party die-hards had seen this. They clung to him, and this is what it has taken to make them let go of him.

The weather on planet Zengum today is subtropical with a chance of thundery showers. :)

Pete Zicato 12-08-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

The process is exposed.

No attacks on Cain for his 9-9-9 plan. No attacks on him for his foreign policy.

Oh please.

SamIam 12-08-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 778686)
Cool! So he is in good company. Did Newt also crank out a baby at the time and then deny it to the press? Or did he just divert campaign money to feed his whore? Oh, wait, that was the other guy. DID Newt squirt his DNA on the dress of his girl friend in the White House and disgrace the office of the president? Nope.

"A man's dreams should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for." So far, Newt has only managed to disgrace the office of Speaker to the House. He was the first speaker in the history of our nation who has been disciplined for ethical wrongdoing. Newt himself admitted that he gave the House ethics committee false information and that he had broken federal tax law through creative financing of a couple of his personal projects. For this, he was given a formal reprimand by the House and ordered to pay a $300,000 fine. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You can have Newt. The people of the United States certainly don't need him.

TheMercenary 12-09-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 778774)
"A man's dreams should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for." So far, Newt has only managed to disgrace the office of Speaker to the House. He was the first speaker in the history of our nation who has been disciplined for ethical wrongdoing. Newt himself admitted that he gave the House ethics committee false information and that he had broken federal tax law through creative financing of a couple of his personal projects. For this, he was given a formal reprimand by the House and ordered to pay a $300,000 fine. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You can have Newt. The people of the United States certainly don't need him.

I still say that does not beat a sitting president shooting his DNA across a White House interns dress. He is a politician, they all have baggage.

BigV 12-09-2011 01:37 PM

I wonder if you're as hung up on sex as you appear to be, or if this is some kind of "fig leaf" for other objections, other prejudices.

Clodfobble 12-09-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

[Huntsman] has described himself as more spiritual than religious

Lamplighter 12-09-2011 06:05 PM

When Romney released his (sort of) first campaign ad, I posted it.
Perry should be here now too, as this is probably his dying gasp, swan song.

NY Times
RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr.
December 8, 2011

Perry’s Anti-Gay Rights Focus Is Divisive Even to Staff
OKATIE, S.C. — Gov. Rick Perry of Texas’ hard turn the past two days on gay issues,
in which he has suggested that gay rights are inconsistent with both American and Christian values,
has generated enormous criticism from lesbian and gay organizations and some religious groups,
and has even helped split Mr. Perry’s top campaign aides over a new ad.

In that campaign ad, released on Wednesday, Mr. Perry says
“you don’t need to be in the pew every Sunday” to know it is wrong
that gay men and lesbians openly serve in the military at a time
when there is no organized prayer in public schools.

Perry aides said neither the criticism of Mr. Obama nor the new ad
were intended to be anti-gay, nor were they coordinated;
they said that the ad had been in the works for weeks and that they
had no advance notice of the administration’s new policy.<snip>

Nearly three out of five respondents said that they support legal
recognition in one form or another for same-sex couples.
The poll found that 22 percent said same-sex couples should be allowed to marry,
while 36 percent said they supported civil unions.
Only 38 percent said they supported no legal recognition for same-sex couples,
though a majority of evangelical Christians responded that way.
So here is Perry's ad...

And besides all that:

Obama has not waged a war on religion, and somehow it is incredibly provincial
to pledge a fight against issues already settled by US Supreme Court decisions,
just to get current attention away from Romney, Paul, and Gingrich.

ZenGum 12-09-2011 06:13 PM

I've got to the "meh" point about all this crowd.

I hereby declare the 2011/12 Republican primary race to have jumped the shark.

infinite monkey 12-09-2011 06:22 PM

You are so right, zen. For the love of DOG what kind of nutjob is this guy? He gives me the wilkins.

Thanks for the vid, Lamp. Scarier than the scariest movies of all time.

classicman 12-09-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 779183)
I've got to the "meh" point about all this crowd.

Who really hasn't. Since Christie said he wasn't running, they've all been pathetic. The base HATES Obama, but they have no valid alternative other than Huntsman and he can't even get out of single digits in the polls with a multiplier. Things are gonna be really weird for the next few years.

I suggest all the money both sides would have spent (read wasted) on the election go towards the debt/deficit.

Griff 12-10-2011 07:30 AM

I really don't get the misplaced hate. Obama has done next to nothing. His economic philosophy is wrong-headed but the out-come is just left of center. He does at least acknowledge that the spending spree has to stop which is a big admission for a Democrat. He has delivered no new gun laws and he is actually behind the country on gay marriage and drug policy.

Did you guys see Perry's anti-gay rant passed just passed Rebecca Black for most disliked youtube video of all time.

Lamplighter 12-10-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 779271)
<snip>
Did you guys see Perry's anti-gay rant passed just passed Rebecca Black for most disliked youtube video of all time.

Now that is funny. His parents must be so proud. :facepalm:

Lamplighter 12-10-2011 10:02 AM

Tonight (Sat, 12/10/11) the GOP Debates will be aired on ABC.
This will probably be a turning point for several of the GOP candidates:

Rick Perry is still looking for a second chance to make a first impression,
but it's hard to un-ring a bell or un-see a "Strong" video ad, Oooops.

Santorum is scheduled for a "big announcement", and may follow Cain into suspended animation

Jon Huntsman was "forcibly" eliminated from the debate because the organizers
did not like his politics or poll numbers or something.... some called it "dis-invited"

Michele Bochmann will be Michelle Bochmann... maybe in her best white uniform.

Mitt Romney may be feeling it's time to sink or swim... shih teu or get off the pot.

Christian Science Monitor
Brad Knickerbocker
Dec10, 2011

Quote:

As debate approaches, Republicans, conservatives target Newt Gingrich
As front-runner in the Republican presidential nominating race,
Newt Gingrich is a natural target for critics. At this point, it's mainly
conservatives and fellow Republicans questioning his character and leadership qualities.
And besides all that:

Ron Paul has released his "serial hypocrisy" ad

And, even the Palestinians dismayed by Gingrich remarks.
CBS News
Dec 10, 2011
Quote:

(AP) JERUSALEM — A slew of Palestinian officials reacted with dismay
Saturday to Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich's statement
that the Palestinians are an "invented" people.

Quote:

"Remember, there was no Palestine as a state — (it was) part of the Ottoman Empire.
I think we have an invented Palestinian people who are in fact Arabs
and historically part of the Arab community and they had the chance to go many places,"
Gingrich said, according to a video excerpt posted online.
The Palestinian prime minister, Salam Fayyad, demanded Gingrich "review history."

ZenGum 12-10-2011 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 35824

:lol2:

Lamplighter 12-11-2011 11:01 AM

For my part, this thread has been a bit of information,
but loaded with sarcasm and self-indulgent fun.
But after last evening's GOP debate, where I feel Romney slipped a few notches,
and Newt managed to hold his own, maybe it is time to look more seriously
at Gringrich's policies and intentions for his presidency.

When he was Speaker of the House, he and John Boehner formulated the 1994
"Contact With America", which Dem's renamed "Contract On America,
and the government was shut down twice.

My life experience is that people don't really change, and they do what they want to do.
For Gingrich, his campaign has again formulated a document named
"Century 21 - Contract With America"
As Dr Phil oft times says, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

So, I urge everyone to read and pay attention to the NY Times Editorial,
and Gingrich's intentions for changing the structure of the US government.

NY Times
Editorial
December 10, 2011

Mr. Gingrich’s Attack on the Courts
--------

Here is Gingrich's presentation:
- it downloads a pdf file.

21st Century
Contract with America
Bringing the Courts Back Under the Constitution

NEWT 2012 Position Paper Supporting
Item No. 9 of the 21st Century Contract with America:
---------

I have posted excerpts (here) from this Times Editorial and Gingrich's
Contract with America in the "The Proper Role and Scope of Government" thread.

ZenGum 12-11-2011 05:58 PM

Hey, Mitt! Bet ya ten grand you don't become president! :p:

Lamplighter 12-12-2011 06:58 PM

Rick Perry's "STRONG" ad is YouTube's current "Most Disliked" with over 647k dislikes to 20k likes

Another GOP candidate, Fred Karger, that I had not even heard about before this, has made his contribution.

And besides all that:

Rick Perry's refusal to take a $10,000 bet from Mitt Romney may
have done more damage to Romney than Newt and Michelle put together.

classicman 12-12-2011 08:14 PM

Although it is getting blown all out of proportion, it was a pretty idiotic thing to say.

ZenGum 12-13-2011 12:31 AM

Yeah, silly but trivial.

I've finally got around to having a look at Newt.

Holy #&%$ing terrifying shit, Batman. I don't know where to start so I won't bother.

But for a right-wing nutjob he doesn't know his bible history very well, does he?

infinite monkey 12-13-2011 07:49 AM

Michelle was her tyical ever-evasive soundbyte Queen on Face the Nation on Sunday. Bob (gawd I love Bob!) told her once to actually answer the question. She wouldn't. What a noodge.

But FtN is going to an hour. Bob said he had a very special announcement and I thought, if Bob is leaving then there really isn't any reason to live anymore (did I mention I love Bob?) but then he said due to increased viewership it's expanding to an hour!

I love Bob. :lol:

Stormieweather 12-13-2011 08:54 AM

Newt is a friggin joke.

Hypocrite, liar, and ethically bankrupt, not to mention a tyrant and a pompous, arrogant asshole.

classicman 12-13-2011 01:18 PM

Stormie - That was not as well written and as detailed as most of your posts, but I still gotta say that about sums it up.

Is it too early to ask if we really have a 2 party system anymore? Cuz if we look at what they are trotting out to run the US, its lookin kinda . . . . . .

regular.joe 12-13-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 779805)
Yeah, silly but trivial.

I've finally got around to having a look at Newt.

Holy #&%$ing terrifying shit, Batman. I don't know where to start so I won't bother.

But for a right-wing nutjob he doesn't know his bible history very well, does he?

Which right wing nut job knows bible history very well???????

TheMercenary 12-14-2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 779499)
Hey, Mitt! Bet ya ten grand you don't become president! :p:

:lol:

BigV 12-15-2011 09:04 PM

the dogs are all fighting, now, live, on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/foxnewschanne...ure=inp-lt-fox

Lamplighter 12-17-2011 06:38 PM

A few talking heads are saying the time has come for the first real test of Romney's campaign organization.
Since Newt Gingrich (pronounced "Ging-rick", not "Ging-rich") has taken the lead in polls,
Romney's attention is on bringing down this next contender. But how could that happen ?

Have you noticed that in the recent GOP presidential candidate debates, Romney and
Paul are strikingly friendly and supportive of the other's attacks on Gingrich ?

Mitt's calvary-to-the-rescue may be lurking among his opponents and their supporters.

ABC News
Matt Negrin
Dec 9, 2011

In Texas, Romney’s Rich Fans Wait for Perry to Bow Out
Quote:

Friends and associates of the Texas governor who want to support Mitt Romney for president
are living by a certain credo: Don’t mess with Rick Perry.

Major fundraisers for Romney’s campaign in the Lone Star State say that even though Perry
has fallen in national polls since entering the GOP primary, prominent lawmakers,
businesspeople and other Texans are afraid to sign a check for Romney
out of fear that Perry will turn on them when he returns as governor.

For these major donors, say the fundraisers, it’s a waiting game until Perry loses the contest
for the nomination — then they’ll be free to give to Romney without fear of repercussion.<snip>
There is a common thread of remarks among the fund-raisers who spoke to the reporter:

Quote:

Leticia Van de Putte, a Democratic state senator, said Perry
has a “solid track record of finding disfavor with those who support his opponents” in elections.

“What is not tolerated, and he does exercise selective enforcement,
is when they give to another candidate who he’s running against,” she said.
And then there are the Ron Paul supporters...
San Francisco Chronicle
KASIE HUNT, Associated Press
December 9, 2011

Paul strength may help Romney in Iowa
Quote:

The Texas congressman's allies and others say that he drains support from the rising Newt Gingrich,
and, if that turns out to be the case during the Jan. 3 caucuses and Paul manages to triumph here,
the theory is that Romney would benefit in the long-run.

"If Ron Paul can chip away at Gingrich just enough, he could conceivably win the caucuses,
but he doesn't have the longevity of Gingrich" because Paul has trouble expanding his support
beyond his libertarian-leaning base, said Tim Albrecht, an Iowa operative who worked for Romney
during his failed presidential bid four years ago.

Some Republicans say a victory by Paul — who many Republican operatives doubt can win the race
— could help curb the perception of a crushing loss for Romney, who has tried to tamp down expectations
that he'll do well here even as aides operate an under-the-radar Iowa campaign and TV ads
intended to help him are starting to flood the Iowa airwaves.<snip>

"The reality," said Steve Schmidt, who ran Sen. John McCain's campaign in 2008, "is that candidates
who are not going to win the nomination play a very important role in determining who does."
Paul, to be sure, is a factor in the race.

He raised $5 million between July and September, and supporters say Paul will be able to stay in the contest
as long as he wants because of a loyal following that sends him cash when he asks and new GOP rules
that award convention delegates proportionally.

And he's not being shy about trying to bloody his rivals
— particularly Romney's chief challenger.
This week, Paul's on the air with a blistering commercial hitting Gingrich for "serial hypocrisy."
And besides all that:

If anything, the TV show "Survivor" has shown
is that coalitions are two-headed snakes...

When Romney believes he is in control but holds only one head,
the other can turn to bite him, just when he least expects it or needs it most.

tw 12-18-2011 09:40 PM

All those polls and public debates were classic examples of money wasted. Serious nominees are not apparent until Iowa and New Hamspire. About that time, we will begin to see who was really running for president.

Well, so many also waste their time watching Barabara Walter's celebrity interviews, People Magazine, and Entertainment Tonight as if it was entertaining, informative, or relevant. Same for that Republican campaign this past year while they wasted bandwidth and made themselves all look silly. Why did Sarah Palin have better integrity to not be associated with them?

In the next few months, we will learn who among that rabble really has integrity.

ZenGum 12-19-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 781213)
Serious nominees are not apparent

Not at all, I'd say.

Quote:

In the next few months, we will learn who among that rabble really has integrity.
... and a new bike, and a toy racing car, and a tree-house ... what? this wasn't your Christmas wish list?

Lamplighter 12-19-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 781213)
All those polls and public debates were classic examples of money wasted. Serious nominees are not apparent until Iowa and New Hamspire. About that time, we will begin to see who was really running for president. <snip>

Unfortunately, the polls are a major part of the way people vote.

"Vote for front runner, and I'll be a winner", or
"Vote for last place, cause I'm against everything"

Then come the litmus tests that are most persuasive, such as:
abortion, race, party, religion, age, gender, spouce's hair style, veteran, sense of humor, etc.

Last, and often least... the candidate's stand on important political and economic issues, such as:
the candidate's hair style, ability to debate, family values, place of birth, number of children, style and color of underwear, etc.

classicman 12-19-2011 01:38 PM

Huntsman’s Tax Proposal Gets Think Tank’s Highest Grade
Quote:

Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman, who has focused his campaign strategy on the New Hampshire primary, received top marks in a scorecard rating the tax plans offered by each of the Republican candidates.

The Tax Foundation, a Washington-based think tank, said Huntsman’s plan rated a B+ grade for its “wipe the slate clean” approach to tax expenditures, which “knocks out preferential taxation in one fell swoop,” according to the report, which will be released today.

“Gov. Huntsman is running on his consistent, conservative record that took Utah to number one in the nation in job creation. He has put forth the most pro-growth tax plan in the field, and it is based on his experience passing the largest tax cut in Utah history,” campaign spokesman Michael Levoff said when asked about the report card.

Huntsman, who moved his campaign headquarters to New Hampshire, has already been lauded by The Wall Street Journal and several other publications and think tanks for his tax plan.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry received a B for his optional 20 percent flat tax on individuals and proposal for a 20 percent tax rate on corporations. Businessman Herman Cain, who was included in the report card even though he’s dropped out of the race, received a B- for his 9-9-9 plan for flat taxes on individuals, businesses and sales. U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas also received a B- for his plan to cut corporate taxes to 15 percent and eliminate the estate tax and taxes on capital gains and dividends.

Rounding out the report card were former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich, with a C+, U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota with a C, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with a C- and former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania with a D+.
Link

SamIam 12-19-2011 02:32 PM

But just WHAT is Huntsman's proposal? Your link to Huntsman's own campaign site gives no specifics which makes me extremely curious as to why not. As I have stated elsewhere, the burden of Huntsman's Utah tax cuts, at least in part, were taken on by the Mormon Church. That's fine for Mormon Utah, but it won't work for the nation as a whole.

classicman 12-19-2011 04:22 PM

Google gave me this
Outlined by one guy here
Quote:

Simplify The Personal Income Tax Code And Lower Rates. Rather than nibble around the edges of the existing tax code,
Gov. Huntsman will introduce a revenue-neutral tax plan that eliminates all deductions and credits in favor of three drastically lower rates
of 8%, 14% and 23%. Eliminating deductions and credits in favor of lower marginal rates will yield a simpler and more efficient tax code,
decreasing the burden on taxpayers.

Eliminate The Alternative Minimum Tax.
Under the new simplified plan, Gov. Huntsman will eliminate the Alternative Minimum Tax, which is not indexed for inflation
and is penalizing an increasing number of families and small businesses.

Eliminate The Taxes On Capital Gains And Dividends In Order To Eliminate The Double Taxation On Investment.
Capital gains and dividend taxes amount to a double-taxation on individuals who choose to invest. Because dollars invested
had to first be earned, they have already been subject to the income tax. Taxing these same dollars again when capital gains
are realized serves to deter productive and much-needed investment in our economy.

Reduce The Corporate Rate From 35% To 25%.
The United States cannot compete while burdened with the second-highest corporate tax rate in the developed world;
American companies and our workers deserve a level playing field.
With high unemployment, it is important that we not push corporations and capital overseas.
We need employers to be based in America if they're going to provide jobs to Americans.