The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   May 17, 2009: Pregnant Dolls (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20307)

xoxoxoBruce 05-16-2009 11:13 PM

May 17, 2009: Pregnant Dolls

Pink Tentacle posted pictures of these pregnant dolls from Japan's Edo period.

Quote:

In the 18th and 19th centuries, sideshow carnivals known as misemono were a popular form of entertainment for the sophisticated residents of Edo (present-day Tokyo). The sideshows featured a myriad of educational and entertaining attractions designed to evoke a sense of wonder and satisfy a deep curiosity for the mysteries of life. One popular attraction was the pregnant doll.
http://cellar.org/2009/pregnant1.jpg

Quote:

Similarly, records of Japan’s first national industrial exhibition in 1877 indicate a Yamagata prefecture hospital doctor named Motoyoshi Hasegawa showed off an elaborate set of fetus models illustrating seven different stages of growth, from embryo to birth.
http://cellar.org/2009/pregnant2.jpg

These apparently got a lot of use and were handled extensively, so considering their age, they must be made of wood and/or fired clay then painted.

Cloud 05-17-2009 12:01 AM

I assume these were for demonstrating and explaining pregnancy to patients or medical students back in the days when male doctors didn't touch female patients much?

Antimatter 05-17-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 566284)
I assume these were for demonstrating and explaining pregnancy to patients or medical students back in the days when male doctors didn't touch female patients much?

I'm not sure that Victorian era European standards are applicable in this case. Oriental customs of the time were very much different. But pregnant doll would save teachers at the medical faculty the trouble of hacking up 7 pregnant women every time they were to explain something about foetal development ;)

Clodfobble 05-17-2009 07:32 AM

It's hard to get a sense of scale, but I look at the first one and see a toy. Barbie once had a pregnant friend, but it got enough complaints (even though the character was "married," husband sold separately) that it was pulled from shelves.

Quote:

"Most girls want to be like Barbie" or her friends, said Kenya Williams, 29, buying a life-sized baby doll and another gift for daughters Alexis, 9, and Kiera, 7. "Maybe if they would have put them all together as a family, it might be a little different, but alone it sends out the wrong message."

Tiki 05-17-2009 09:38 AM

As a child I had the "Visible Man" and the "Visible Woman", and the "Visible Woman" came with a pregnant belly, uterus, and fetus.

Oh right here: http://www.hometrainingtools.com/pro...le-woman-model

Alluvial 05-17-2009 09:42 AM

The Hasegawa models are very cool.

Cloud 05-17-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antimatter (Post 566302)
I'm not sure that Victorian era European standards are applicable in this case. Oriental customs of the time were very much different.

What, you never read Tai-Pan?
:p

xoxoxoBruce 05-17-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Although it is commonly believed that these dolls were created primarily to teach midwives how to deliver babies, evidence suggests they were also used for entertainment purposes.

SteveDallas 05-17-2009 01:21 PM

Why not both at the same time??

xoxoxoBruce 05-17-2009 03:54 PM

Considering the craftsmanship that went into these "dolls" I would think they would get all the mileage they could out of them.

Hey:idea:, maybe they lowered their health care costs by charging admission to the "sideshows" and using the money to make medical teaching aids.

scottman 05-17-2009 04:16 PM

Why no recipes? I have visited this site for 2 years and am now a member.

xoxoxoBruce 05-17-2009 04:18 PM

Welcome to the Cellar, scottman. :D

Now you're part of the family, where in hell is your recipe? :haha:

capnhowdy 05-17-2009 08:04 PM

One thing for sure. We're gonna need some type of liquid for the recipe, as there is no embryonic fluid.

lumberjim 05-17-2009 08:52 PM

Thomas Jefferson's scottsman fricasee

Ingredients:
3 pounds scottsman pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups water
1 cup dry wine
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cups fresh small mushrooms
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 cup half and half cream
Hot Cooked Rice

Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:
Wash and dry the scottsman pieces. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, nutmeg and paprika.

Brown the scottsman in hot oil over high heat in a Dutch oven; remove the scottsman when well browned. Reduce heat to medium, add flour, and cook the flour until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Whisk in 2 cups of water, 1 cup of wine until smooth.

Return the scottsman to the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 50 minutes.

Remove scottsman , keeping warm, reserve broth in large container. Broth may be strained to remove particles.

Melt butter in Dutch oven, over medium high heat, add onion, cook until lightly browned. Add mushrooms, sage and parsley. Add broth, and scottsman. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thoroughly heated. Served over rice.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Thomas Jefferson`s scottsman Fricassee serves/makes 6

dropmedic 05-17-2009 09:13 PM

The Mystery Man came over, and said "I'm outta sight!!" And said, for a nominal service charge, we'll be eating some young veal tonight!! Well, I was ready, willin' n' able, to afford him his nominal fee, till he he told me right then and right there, they'd be boiled-up in fresh baby pee............((this one is for xobruce & lumberjim, though you don't know me yet))(capt'nhowdy may find my humor to his likin') Ifnot, folks, I,ll go away..............