The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Random Thoughts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29481)

Griff 03-22-2015 10:47 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/20/bu...by-summer.html

fargon 03-22-2015 10:57 AM

That scares the living shit rite out of me.

xoxoxoBruce 03-22-2015 01:53 PM

Regulators, Elon Musk, manufacturers, Google, pundits, fuck 'em all.
The elephant in the room... tah dah... insurance companies(along with their congressional toadies)... large and in charge. :yesnod:

Gravdigr 03-22-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 924321)
That scares the living shit rite out of me.

Meh...It just adds one more name to the lawsuit.

:D

glatt 03-23-2015 07:38 AM

Driverless cars don't freak me out too much, what get's my interest is that this is just a software update. The car was already built with the relays and servos and crap to turn the steering wheel and engage the brakes. Has steering been done by wire on many cars for a while now, and I just haven't been paying attention because I drive an old car?

Actually that doesn't matter. I'm getting away from my point, which is that this was just a remote software update. If the manufacturer can do a remote software update that takes control of driving the car away from the owner in a car that is currently on the road, then can't hackers also do remote software updates that take control of the car? The manufacturer is using the power for good, but hackers can use the power for anything they want. And this isn't a hypothetical car of the future. It's on the road right now.

I ain't skeert. :unsure:

From Tesla:
Quote:

Software updates

Model S Manual
Model S Quick Start Guide

Model S regularly receives over-the-air software updates that add new features and functionality. When an update is available, you’ll be notified on the center display with an option to install immediately, or schedule the installation for a later time. The average software update takes 45 minutes to complete. Connect your Model S to your home’s Wi-Fi network for the fastest possible download time.

The current Model S software version is 6.1 and includes traffic-aware cruise control, camera-enabled automatic high/low beam headlights, forward collision warning, smart cabin preconditioning, energy prediction for trips, and an enhanced park assist view with reverse camera guides. Download the release notes for details.

fargon 03-23-2015 01:07 PM

What scares me is the trouble that computers and the internet have is security. All it would take is 5 or 6 cars running on the freeway at speed in heavy traffic to lock up the brakes immediate pile up.

DanaC 03-23-2015 01:13 PM

It looks like you're trying to slow down.

Would you like help?

*Get help with brake function
*Just try braking without help

Undertoad 03-23-2015 01:20 PM

What should worry you is people using cars. The pileup only happens with cars driven by humans. Computers notice the stoppage and stop in time.

glatt 03-23-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 924402)
Computers notice the stoppage and stop in time.

Almost always true.

fargon 03-23-2015 01:40 PM

It is the almost that gets me.

Gravdigr 03-23-2015 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my biggest fear regarding computer-driven cars:

Attachment 50744

In this situation 'unsaved information' means 'your ass'.

DanaC 03-23-2015 02:11 PM

The blue windscreen of death

infinite monkey 03-23-2015 03:08 PM

You just cracked me up twice in a row, Dr. Dana.

xoxoxoBruce 03-23-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 924389)
Driverless cars don't freak me out too much, what get's my interest is that this is just a software update.

That's only Telsa's cars, and not without the owners awareness/permission.

DanaC 03-24-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 924421)
You just cracked me up twice in a row, Dr. Dana.

:)

Then my work here is done

But not my work here...

I have *glances at clock* 75 minutes left of my 5 hour telesales shift.

It's been a boring shift - loooooong waits on the dialler between calls - and a very high number of hang-ups/call refusals. Very frustrating when you've been sat there for 10 mins waiting for a call and when it clicks and you start to speak you hear the hang-up tone. Wait another 10 mins - but with a quick call (30 second wait) just often enough to know that you have to remain ready to speak at any moment.