The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   PMS - the ultimate relationship killer? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10941)

cableguy 06-06-2006 01:56 AM

PMS - the ultimate relationship killer?

OK, I'm going ape. 2 weeks ago she was talking about possible separation, marriage councelling, etc. Today she says she missed me and she loves me. Her period started yesterday. PMS? If it is, I'm not sure I can handle next month's emotional roler coaster! :eek:

Ibby 06-06-2006 01:59 AM

The menstrual cycle is a man's worst enemy. Except maybe those chairs that, if you dropp something, it ALWAYS finds its way down between the cushions somewhere, and due to how the chair is made, you cant ever get to it.

footfootfoot 06-06-2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cableguy
OK, I'm going ape. 2 weeks ago she was talking about possible separation, marriage councelling, etc. Today she says she missed me and she loves me. Her period started yesterday. PMS? If it is, I'm not sure I can handle next month's emotional roler coaster! :eek:

How long have you two been together?

Do you know the three most important words,"you're right honey"

followed up by "Im sorry"?

That's all the advice I can muster. I'm pretty sure we've all been there. My dad told me never to get into a fight with a drunk, they're feeling no pain and not thinking straight, they won't know when to stop if they're losing or winning. It's best to avoid them.

I think the same thing applies to PMSing gals. Humor them, you aren't really losing anything by agreeing with them, and when the storm is over they'll probably forget any concessoins you made.

Unless it is a big medical thing, then ask someone else.

Hang in there.

cableguy 06-06-2006 09:56 AM

It'l be our 12th anniversary in August. We have a 7 year old boy, and a 3 year old girl. We've been having problems lately - lot of it is that she feels she married to young and for all the wrong reasons :( She is very religious, so I keep reminding her that God must have put us together for a reason. We're both thblack sheeps of our respective families and think differently from them. Most of the fights between us seem to stem wheneer I have any interaction with them - she feels she's been mistreated over the years by them mentally.
I read somehwhere online that agreeing with your spouse is one of the most effective way to diffuse an argument, seems to work.........

I stayed up late many evenings reading lookout123's thread on his situation and eventual divorce, that kinda made me think that maybe she's got some type of bipolar dissorder. I've been seeing a councellor since the fall for stress - I've had a few breakdowns since. I've suggested we do the same, and insisted that before we see a marriage councellor, that she see a concellor on her own to talk about hings and perhaps get a difference point of view on what she's feeling.
Meanwhile, my brother is getting married in November, and I know that having anytning to do with my side of the family is going to be VERY tense.
Then again, my family has always treated me like an afterthought, so I wonder why I even bother. After all my wife and my kids come first right?

xoxoxoBruce 06-06-2006 10:41 AM

Pack up the family and move to the other side of the continent from both families. Then each of you can handle your respective families electronically, as you see fit, without involving the other party.

Or just tell both families you've moved, and continue relations electronically.

Oh hell. I'm no help.:o

goldencomfort1968 06-06-2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram
The menstrual cycle is a man's worst enemy. Except maybe those chairs that, if you dropp something, it ALWAYS finds its way down between the cushions somewhere, and due to how the chair is made, you cant ever get to it.

I believe PMS is also a women's worst enemy. When my husband has mood swings I call it Pissy Man Syndrome.

Yes, I know how hard PMS can be on a man when his SO is going through it, but I'd like to see a man go through all that the woman dealing with PMS goes through and see how they handle it. Let's see all the men out there go through horrible cramping, headaches, mood swings, crying, feeling like nobody cares, bloating, weight gain, bleeding for 7 days or more or less, extreme fatigue, and then on top of it all we are supposed to act as if nothing is wrong...we still go to work, still take care of our families, still run a household, etc. all while feeling like crap every three weeks or so.

wolf 06-06-2006 12:24 PM

Dude, the secret weapon is chocolate. Offering it directly may be too blatant a ploy. Just make sure it's left in a cabinet where she will see it. I recommend the Ghirardelli Squares with 60% Cacao.

MaggieL 06-06-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot
How long have you two been together?

Yeah, haven't you seen this before?

jinx 06-06-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Dude, the secret weapon is chocolate. Offering it directly may be too blatant a ploy. Just make sure it's left in a cabinet where she will see it. I recommend the Ghirardelli Squares with 60% Cacao.

I recommend a good multi-vitamin.
Chocolate is very high in magnesium and craving it is often the result of deficiency. Magnesium deficiency is common (more so in diets high in processed foods and grains) and the symptoms include personality changes, depression, irritability etc..
I also find B vitamins important for maintaining sanity.
:3_eyes:

wolf 06-06-2006 01:07 PM

Chocolate tastes better than Flintstones Chewables.

jinx 06-06-2006 01:13 PM

true dat

Happy Monkey 06-06-2006 01:28 PM

Marketing opportunity? "Two great tastes that go great together..."

MaggieL 06-06-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
Chocolate is very high in magnesium and craving it is often the result of deficiency.

Both true...but I'll bet the deficiency that causes the craving isn't magnesium. :-)

footfootfoot 06-06-2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieL
Both true...but I'll bet the deficiency that causes the craving isn't magnesium. :-)

snicker snicker = snickers!

we've come full circle

DucksNuts 06-06-2006 08:05 PM

Vitex Agnus is a women's best friend!!! add Chocolate and there is no hormonal challenge too great.