The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lawyers are people? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11737)

dar512 09-14-2006 01:36 PM

Lawyers are people?

Who knew?

Slashdot has a net interview of lawyers who help defend people against the RIAA. But the thing that really made me stop was this Q&A:

Quote:

5) Lawyers from outer space?
(Score:5, Funny)
by hawkeye_82

You guys are lawyers AND like to help people? What's it like on your home planet ;) ?

Beckerman:

Lawyers are just like any other people. There are good people and bad people. The people who come out the strongest against 'trial lawyers' are the big corporations' PR departments. They want the 'common folk' to think ill of lawyers, because the law -- as imperfect as it is -- is the only equalizer left. And it's being eroded rapidly. And people dissing lawyers all the time helps that process.

BigV 09-14-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Lawyers are people?
Not if they support communism, according to UG.

JayMcGee 09-14-2006 07:10 PM

shouldn't this have been a poll?

xoxoxoBruce 09-14-2006 09:52 PM

"Lawyers" covers a lot of ground. There are lawyers that never see a courtroom, but sit in an office all day crossing T's and dotting I's, to make your world more orderly, predictable, less hassle.

There are lawyers that use the law, and it's many convoluted paths, to cheat and steal from widows, orphans and charities.

The rest are spread out in between....just like real people.;)

Elspode 09-14-2006 09:54 PM

My wife works for lawyers...hopelessly disorganized, seriously human, lawyers. Their clients are largely hopelessly disorganized, somewhat marginally mafioso entrepreneurs. Makes for some interesting conversations.

ashke 09-14-2006 10:21 PM

My friend's going to be a lawyer once she gets out of law school. I just can't see her as the bloodsucking sort.

Carbohydrate 09-14-2006 10:26 PM

We need more pro bono in the world.

wolf 09-15-2006 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashke
My friend's going to be a lawyer once she gets out of law school. I just can't see her as the bloodsucking sort.

They inject you with the virus when they hand you the diploma. It's inevitable.

Okay, not quite. Sometimes the virus mutates, the newly minted lawyer becomes a Public Defender, and they just get jaded and bitter.

Beestie 09-15-2006 02:42 AM

Quote:

Lawyers are just like any other people. There are good people and bad people. The people who come out the strongest against 'trial lawyers' are the big corporations' PR departments. They want the 'common folk' to think ill of lawyers, because the law -- as imperfect as it is -- is the only equalizer left. And it's being eroded rapidly. And people dissing lawyers all the time helps that process.
Nice try, buddy. Lawyers have turned the legal system into their own personal cash register and the lawyers who sit by and watch/let it happen are not entitled to use their inaction to distinguish themselves from each other. When's the last time you heard of a lawyer suing a lawyer?

Hippikos 09-15-2006 10:03 AM

The first thing we do, lets kill the lawyers. (W.Shakespeare)

ashke 09-15-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
They inject you with the virus when they hand you the diploma. It's inevitable.

Okay, not quite. Sometimes the virus mutates, the newly minted lawyer becomes a Public Defender, and they just get jaded and bitter.

:sniff: :fingerx:

lookout123 09-15-2006 11:08 PM

wasn't there a cellarite a while back who was just finishing law school at U of Illinois, or something like that? maybe she could give some insight as to how the virus first began to take over her life... if she was still here.

Clodfobble 09-15-2006 11:31 PM

It was melidasaur, I believe.

Spexxvet 09-16-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
Nice try, buddy. Lawyers have turned the legal system into their own personal cash register and the lawyers who sit by and watch/let it happen are not entitled to use their inaction to distinguish themselves from each other. When's the last time you heard of a lawyer suing a lawyer?

And all the doctors have turned the medical system into a cash cow, and all the insurance brokers, and politicians, and oil companies, and....

You hate a lawyer until the rich guy in the mercedes decides he doesn't have to stop at a stop sign and plows into you and puts you out of work and you can't pay the mortgage. Or the factory near you contaminates your drinking water. Or your kid's school implements the policy of mandatory Islamic prayer in schools. Or something like that happens to you.

And after they help you, they defend a murderer or big company, and become hated again.

xoxoxoBruce 09-16-2006 02:27 PM

But the other side of the coin is the lawyers and politicians, of whom most are lawyers, have created a legal system that defies common sense and is so convoluted, you can't do anything without them. :yelgreedy