The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If you could live in any time/era... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14874)

Kitsune 07-22-2007 09:42 AM

If you could live in any time/era...

...which would it be?

Mine: the 1900s-1920s, mostly because there was so much discovery to be done by common men and still uncharted terrain left in the world. To actually see the golden age of flight, the time of the dirigible, Alberto Santos-Dumont haphazardly ballooning around Paris and then competing with the Wright Brothers for the first powered flight, as well as the dawn of radio and the time when steam locomotives ruled the land...

...and there was something about that minor influenza bug that went around and something about a skirmish in Europe, but I'm sure none of that would have been a big deal. ;)

Okay, so maybe I'm certain the average life would have been a lot less fulfilling and enjoyable than the romanticized version. "A great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...?"

Rexmons 07-22-2007 12:10 PM

mine would be the day before the last mega million drawing was.

Nivek 07-22-2007 12:20 PM

I'd want to live a couple hundred years in the future because I'd be blown away by the technology but not so much that I couldn't learn how to use it. Space exploration would hopefully be a lot more popular and maybe I could wing a trip to Mars or something.

freshnesschronic 07-22-2007 12:49 PM

They moment man invented fire, the most useful technology human beings have invented.

Plus, I'd probably be really buff, have a great beard and could thwomp ladies on the head and drag them by their hair. What a simpler life than going through chivalry!

bani 07-22-2007 03:08 PM

from 1880 more ore less, for the same reasons kitsune writes...

we say "it was better when it was worse" (old nasty people usually say actually), but they had good points! the world was not the mess that actually is, and I'd rather pee in a cold wooden cabin that see the News every day... but then again, I'm telling this to people all around the world, so pros and cons I suppose :D

piercehawkeye45 07-22-2007 03:49 PM

Now, all other time periods would probably suck compared to now if you really lived in them.

Rhianne 07-22-2007 04:30 PM

I'd like to have lived about four-and-a-half thousand years ago when God created the earth and man. I'd love to find out who Adam and Eve's children had sex with.

be-bop 07-22-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianne (Post 366762)
I'd like to have lived about four-and-a-half thousand years ago when God created the earth and man. I'd love to find out who Adam and Eve's children had sex with.

It say's here how it happened :D

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home...cains_wife.asp

Ibby 07-22-2007 06:02 PM

Either late 19th century, or the 60s through the 80s

wolf 07-23-2007 10:55 AM

I think I could only be truly satisfied with some other time period, if I didn't remember this one ... Colonial America didn't have high speed internet or flush toilets.

Cloud 07-23-2007 11:04 AM

right now right here.

Almost no other place in history can a woman live alone and support herself.

be-bop 07-23-2007 04:57 PM

Looking at the past is one thing but actually living there(if it was possible) would be too alien,could you imagine living in some cold damp house with no central heating electricity etc etc in say the
1880's ok roughing it for a week or so but after that well..
I remember asking my Gran if she missed the"old days"what she said surprised me but i can see her point she said "people go on about the good old days,but there was nothing good about them too much hard work and heartache"Sensible woman my Gran..

bluecuracao 07-23-2007 05:37 PM

In the movie Zodiac, they made of point of showing what the technology (or lack thereof) of the 60's and early 70's was like. Jake Gyllenhaal's character had to go home to wait for a phone call...he used the library a lot...one police department didn't have a 'telefax' so they had to have files sent to them by regular mail.

But back then, there were no video games (except Pong :rolleyes:), so it was more fun for us kids to play outside than to stay inside. We could walk to school or to the store by ourselves, without our parents worrying about us being abducted by some crazy person (generally). It was before cable TV, so the Saturday morning cartoon lineup was something special to look forward to. I think I'd want to go back to that time, as a kid again.

DanaC 07-23-2007 06:03 PM

If I could choose my station in life, I'd like to experience either the late seventh/early eightth century, round about the time of the Venerable Bede, as the concept of an 'English' people is being born and their own sense of history is weighted by several centuries; or, I'd like to live in the 19th Century, in the Industrial North, see the development of a working class consciousness.

But.....if I can't choose my station in life, I stay right where I am :P The past ain't pretty if you're a working class girl.

rkzenrage 07-24-2007 12:06 AM

After whenever they make available the cure for whatever the core issue with my health is.