The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   9/26/2003: Record-setting dog ears (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4024)

Undertoad 09-26-2003 01:17 PM

9/26/2003: Record-setting dog ears

http://cellar.org/2003/bassettears.jpg

It's been covered widely elsewhere, but it has to be covered here too, not just because 'spode sent it along but because this puppy covers two different common IotD categories: remarkable dogs, and world records.

This guy is Mr. Jeffries, ears measuring 29.2 cm (11.5 in), and he will be in the Guinness book this year. Why's he called Mr. Jeffries? Well his owner is Phil Jeffries, but maybe the owner is a bit showbiz about this dog. It turns out he is the grandson of Biggles, the face of Hush Puppies shoes. And it turns out that the human Mr. Jeffries has insured the ears for L30,000 ($47,800).

I think it's worth it.

Naturally the world is divided by dog people and non-dog people, but the dog people are further subdivided. There are those who prefer the "normal" looking dogs: the labs, the goldens, the cockers; and those who prefer the "wierd" looking dogs: the bulldogs, the chihuahuas, the pugs, the dachshunds, and yes the bassetts. Count me among the latter subdivision.

Of course, none of it matters to the dog.

Pie 09-26-2003 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How'd they get that "flying canine" effect?

Here's my personal favorite dog -- I guess she's "a dog-looking-dog". She doesn't have a tail, tho. (Australian Shepherd)

- Pie

Undertoad 09-26-2003 02:18 PM

Ah, but... Who's a pretty girl? Who's a pretty girl?

daniwong 09-26-2003 02:24 PM

I love both of the pics of the Dogs - they are super cute. But I am a doggie or a kitty person. (More of a cat person) Actually I am just an animal person. I would rather spend more time with animals than some induhviduals I know.

OnyxCougar 09-26-2003 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a cat lover type with the furth division of "weird" cat lover type...the manxes, calicos and BEEG cats, but also the Hairless cat. That's a cool lookin cat!

OnyxCougar 09-26-2003 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a better pic.

darclauz 09-26-2003 03:56 PM

i am solid on the dog side of things. i think cats are disposable pets...and so did all those egyptian wives, who said...yeah! and your cat, too!

i told geo if he went before the cat.... he would get the royal treatment from me too...i would bury his cat with him.

darclauz 09-26-2003 03:58 PM

mmmmmmmmmmm.

NICE hairless kitty.

:vomit:

LUVBUGZ 09-26-2003 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pie
How'd they get that "flying canine" effect?

Here's my personal favorite dog -- I guess she's "a dog-looking-dog". She doesn't have a tail, tho. (Australian Shepherd)

- Pie

What a cutie-pie, Pie. What's her name?

LUVBUGZ 09-26-2003 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OnyxCougar
I'm a cat lover type with the furth division of "weird" cat lover type...the manxes, calicos and BEEG cats, but also the Hairless cat. That's a cool lookin cat!
Is that your cat OC? It's pretty freaky even for a hairless (ie. one blue, one brown eye, and those spots:eek3: )

OnyxCougar 09-26-2003 04:20 PM

No, I can't have pets at my apt, and Steve is allergic. We're thinking about seeing if a hairless is an option for his allergies, tho.

LUVBUGZ 09-26-2003 04:21 PM

PS

What's weird about Manxes and Calicos? Have you ever personally seen a male Calico? They are extremely rare, has to do with the genetics.

LUVBUGZ 09-26-2003 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OnyxCougar
No, I can't have pets at my apt, and Steve is allergic. We're thinking about seeing if a hairless is an option for his allergies, tho.
I posted something about this in an IotD Hairless Cat thread. I'm not sure if Sphynx cats have "dander" which is what people are usually allergic to, but I know of people who have these allergies and do fine with Sphynx cats.:)

Happy Monkey 09-26-2003 05:06 PM

Careful! You do know that fur is the natural mitigator of the evil that cats exude, right? It even causes allergies to warn off people especially succeptible to evil! Hairless cats leave you defenseless!

daniwong 09-26-2003 05:13 PM

Ok - I like Cats. But the hairless one's kinda scare me. Reminds me of that episode of Friends when Rachel gets a hairless kitty. (Yeah - I'm a Friends addict - wanna make something of it??!!):mad: