The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dr Who (David Tennant) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11038)

Sundae 06-17-2006 06:12 PM

Dr Who (David Tennant)

Sorry if this has already been covered (I did search), please redirect me Monsieur de Undertoad...

Do you have our new Dr Who in the States, or anywhere else yet? I've just watched a wonderfully whimsical episode featuring Peter Kay (may be unknown outside these isles) set to ELO. Can't think of a better example of the way this Dr Who is engaging new audiences.

I'm slightly biased I admit - I was always a fan of Dr Who and when it was resurrected with Christopher Ecclestone, Mark Gattiss - one of my heroes from The League of Gentlemen - wrote an episode, so I was hooked.

The quality of writing, the sets, the costumes and the special effects have all impressed me. And Billie Piper as the Dr's assistant adds an everyday presence to the sci-fi aspect. But most of all, David Tennant - the first man under 14 stone (14x 14lbs - in his case more like 10x 14lbs) I've ever fancied....! Whoosh. Glad I'm not 16 again. I bought a Dr Who action figure and promptly sent it to my best friend who has moved to Kenya and is therefore missing the series. I didn't want to start interacting with him...

So, any Dr Who fans out there?

JayMcGee 06-17-2006 06:42 PM

oh yes, we're out here......

As someone who remembers the original with William Hartnell, I can only say that this invocation is the best ever,. Russel T Davies has raised the bar to unprecedented levels... tonight's story a case in point. Whilst I am sure it dissapointed a lot of the younger fans, with the Doctor confined to a bit-part, what a risk to take! Stunning TV, rates alongside The Prisoner for innovation.

and, for the first time., I would rate Dr. Who as a serious sci-fi programme.

Happy Monkey 06-17-2006 09:37 PM

Ecclestone just finished over here in the states. I'm looking forward to Tennant. I watched Ecclestone on Bittorrent, but now that it's on SciFi, I'm waiting so it's new to me when it's on TV.

Sundae 01-03-2009 10:31 AM

We find out who the new Doctor is tonight at 17.35 (GMT)
Yay!

I'll come back and report.
If I remember :p

Ibby 01-03-2009 11:45 AM

!!!!!!!

thats like
11:30 AM for me?
holy shit.

Sundae 01-03-2009 12:03 PM

Matt Smith
That Face, Ruby in the Smoke, Party Animals

26 years old
Feel free to Google, I'll come back & do so myself but wanted to break the news asap

DanaC 01-03-2009 03:18 PM

wasn't sure when they said 26 yrs old...wasn't sure when they first showed his face...but in interview i thought he showed a lot of promise. A little bit alien looking, and ancient eyes in a young face.

Ibby 01-03-2009 09:36 PM

he's... possible. he might could do it. maaaaybe.
tennant will always be the Doctor to me, though.

Sundae 01-04-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 518664)
A little bit alien looking, and ancient eyes in a young face.

We think such similar thoughts it's scary. I'm going to go and make a tinfoil hat now, if you experience any subsequent lack of intelligence, please call me immediately.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 518734)
he's... possible. he might could do it. maaaaybe.
tennant will always be the Doctor to me, though.

Never say never (okay, you didn't)
I thought Tom Baker would always be my Doctor. Then the Tennant came along. I'm open to all forms of Timelord disloyalty now.

DanaC 01-04-2009 05:21 AM

I used to think my Doctor was Tom...then Peter came along and I liked him. Then Paul McGann took the role on and I adored him. I so wish he'd had a chance to play a series. Then I loved Chris and then David...and now I love them all :P

That's the beauty of the Doctor. He keeps changing but is always essentially the same. Something which becomes more apparent if you go back and watch the old doctors at work.

I was ready for Tennant to leave (I mean after this years tv movies). I think he's been the best of all of them. Better than Baker, or Davison. Better than McGann purely because McGann only got one outing. I think had he been given a series to do he'd have blown Who fans' minds. Part of the reason he was better than those who'd gone before him, was because he incorprated them all into his Doctor. Tennant's Doctor was the culmination of that character's life and learning. But...they've done everything with him. Tennant's Doctor has dealt with absolute isolation, love, loss, the destruction of his own people, the discovery of one other survivor and then his loss, an unexpected daughter and her loss. We've seen him high and low and every bit in between. We've even seen him helpless in the face of the mob (Midnight). It's time now for another actor to take it on. So that the character can deal with all those emotions and challenges again in a fresh way.

Undertoad 01-04-2009 08:03 AM

I've said it before but Peter Davison will always be Tristan Farnon to me. He can't be Dr Who because he's a bumbling little brother.

DanaC 01-04-2009 08:34 AM

*chuckles* I loved that show!

Pie 01-04-2009 08:51 AM

I dated a guy once because he had a Tom Baker scarf. And curly brown hair.

I liked the series better when the special effects were worse.

Cloud 01-04-2009 11:15 AM

The Doctor Rocks. Haven't seen the new one; they're still re-running David Tennant here. Which is okay by me.

dar512 01-05-2009 09:07 AM

"Now that takes me back. Or is it forward? That's the problem with time-travel. You can never tell."

One of my favorite quotes from any source -- and I've never seen a single episode.

I'm going to have to fix that someday.