The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lumberjim...I need helmet source recommendations for guys with big heads (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31266)

Elspode 09-20-2015 06:12 PM

Lumberjim...I need helmet source recommendations for guys with big heads

I have a sizable noggin; as such, I cannot wear normal sized headgear. I am now searching for a new motorcycle helmet, and no one local has anything that will fit me.

I started thinking about who else rides that I know, and also has a freakish large head (because of lots of brains inside, of course), and I thought of LJ.

So dude? How large is your noggin? What size helmet do you wear now? Where would you suggest I look for a new brain bucket?

Carruthers 09-21-2015 10:15 AM

There might be some help here:

Extra Large Motorcycle Helmets

Gravdigr 09-21-2015 02:40 PM

Any price you want to pay, I believe CycleGear will have you covered.

At the least they might give ya some ideas on which way to go.

ETA - They have a store/showroom in Lenexa.

Undertoad 09-21-2015 04:20 PM

You have asked this just as LJ left to use that helmet. He's ridin' across the appalachians!

Elspode 09-21-2015 05:41 PM

How bleeding inconsiderate of him!

Undertoad 09-23-2015 06:37 AM

Well you know what they say. Big head,

i'm not sure what they say

Griff 09-23-2015 06:42 AM

Big bike?

DanaC 09-23-2015 06:48 AM

I was thinking abot head size a few months ago when I had to hire my graduation gown and cap. I didn't have a tape measure, so I just guessed based on typical head size for a woman. I have no idea if I am average head size or not. Maybe I have a giant heid and never knew? Or a teeny, tiny head.

Obviously Jim has a big head.* Vikings developed big heads to accomodate their horned helmets.

* I say obviously, but I've never looked at a photo of Jim and thought 'he's got a big head'. What constitues big anyway in head terms?

Undertoad 09-23-2015 07:07 AM

Well you shouldn't feel bad about it if you have a small one

you know what they say,

there's nothing wrong with a little head.

that IS what they say

footfootfoot 09-23-2015 07:53 AM

I think it's easy to claim you have a big head, we need proof! We need a cellar poll!

Craniums represent!

I have a modest size 7 3/8.

Carruthers 09-23-2015 08:51 AM

I took an interest in this thread as I have been blessed to excess in the cranium department, if not in the contents thereof.

I used to ride horses and could rarely buy an off the shelf equestrian crash helmet. The retailer usually had to order one in.

Three or four winters ago I was looking after horses and had to transport hay out to the fields on a quad bike (ATV).

I took initial steps toward finding a crash helmet from a motor cycle outlet but my temporary spell at the stable was fairly short so I didn't pursue the matter any further.

I've just had a look at my old riding crash hat and see that the size is shown as 7½ - 7⅝. Sizes tend to differ from one manufacturer to another and I recall having one shown as 7¾.

Good luck in your search, Elspode. Would you like to volunteer what size you are searching for?

Gravdigr 09-23-2015 09:49 AM

I've always found other people's hats to be on the small side for mine own haid.

I just measured it (my head) and it turns out it was 23¾ inches for the round trip, so about a 7⅝, or so.

ETA: Ima go ahead and guess Jim's head to be at least 26 inches. Because of his big brain. Or encephalitis. Something.

Gravdigr 09-23-2015 09:51 AM

'Spode, I don't know where LJ got his helmet...

...and I don't mean to say he has a big head...

...but, this is where he gets his hats and bandanas made.

:madhop:

Clodfobble 09-23-2015 12:27 PM

I don't know from hat sizes, but mine's 22 inches around. I bet you could fit two of me in all you people with fiveheads.

Griff 09-23-2015 05:17 PM

We should create a cellar cranial scale. 58 er 7 1/4 for me.