The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Thanksgiving Food - 2016 (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32325)

bbro 11-22-2016 09:25 AM

Thanksgiving Food - 2016

I figured I would start a thread specifically for Thanksgiving food. Pictures, recipe help, and whatnot.

I am not sure what my final menu will be - probably Turkey (duh), salad, asparagus, rolls, and one type of potato. I am trying to decide between mashed potatoes and scalloped. Pretty sure I am going to go with scalloped though.

And brownies for dessert. Because I like brownies and I am the only one attending the wonderful dinner.

Whatcha all doing?

fargon 11-22-2016 09:29 AM

Going to the In-laws for prime rib, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green bean casserole. We are making the green bean casserole. YUM!!!

limey 11-22-2016 09:36 AM

So please to explain to the furriner - what is a green bean casserole? Recipe?

bbro 11-22-2016 09:59 AM

@limey - from wikipedia - "Green bean casserole is a casserole consisting of green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and french fried onions. It is a popular Thanksgiving side dish in the United States" I don't eat it, personally. I don't like beans or mushrooms - lol

classicman 11-22-2016 10:27 AM

This is the one I like. Of course I substitute my self-foraged wild mushrooms. :)

Gravdigr 11-22-2016 10:29 AM

This turkey-roasting method is fool-proof.

Gravdigr 11-22-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 974247)
So please to explain to the furriner - what is a green bean casserole? Recipe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 974251)
@limey - from wikipedia - "Green bean casserole is a casserole consisting of green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and french fried onions. It is a popular Thanksgiving side dish in the United States" I don't eat it, personally. I don't like beans or mushrooms - lol

I like green beans. I like cream of mushroom soup. I like french-fried onions.

I do not like green bean casserole.:greenface

xoxoxoBruce 11-22-2016 12:16 PM

Why cook?
Quote:

NYC restaurant, Old Homestead, is offering up a specialty item-laden Thanksgiving feast that exemplifies decadence, extravagance and overindulgence. So what does one get for $50,000?

A 20-lb roasted free-range, organically raised $85/lb turkeys, seasoned with a proprietary exotic spice mix of spices imported from the Middle East, basted with imported $17/oz extra-virgin olive oil from Italy.

A rich stuffing - the operative word is rich because it consists of $465/lb imported Japanese prized Wagyu beef, $54/lb foie gras, and $46/loaf sourdough bread imported from the U.K.

Whipped sweet potatoes topped with $1,600/oz caviar from Caspian Sea.

Green beans not exactly like the ones the first Pilgrims and Native Americans shared - these are prepared with chunks of imported $90/lb ham from pigs fed a special root diet.

Homemade pumpkin ice cream with $4,200/bottle rum-infused eggnog sauce.

Purchasers also receive four tickets to an upcoming Giants game, one night at the Waldorf with room service and breakfast in bed, limousine transportation while in NYC, a Fifth Avenue shopping spree and a horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park.

bbro 11-22-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 974278)
Why cook?

Just give me the $50,000. I'll take the $49,900 and spend it on things that are actually worthwhile instead of one dumb ass meal.

xoxoxoBruce 11-23-2016 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wish I'd found this sooner.

elSicomoro 11-23-2016 08:54 PM

Did you pull that off the internet, Bruce? Dierbergs is a STL-based chain.

limey 11-24-2016 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 974263)
I like green beans. I like cream of mushroom soup. I like french-fried onions.

I do not like green bean casserole.:greenface

Y'see I think I'm with you here. I mean, I can imagine that green beans in a mushroom sauce might be ok. But, but ... French fried onions? Isn't the point that they are crunchy? Do they stay crunchy after this treatment? Surely they just add gloopiness to an already gloopy thing?

fargon 11-24-2016 06:29 AM

You put the onions on in the last few minutes of baking.

limey 11-24-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 974433)
You put the onions on in the last few minutes of baking.

OK. that would make sense. Who knows, I might give it a whirl some time ...

orthodoc 11-24-2016 10:00 AM

Making a combination traditional and plant-based feast. Small turkey with stuffing, potatoes, gravy, etc. Squash-miso soup. Roasted vegetables, winter squashes stuffed with savory brown rice/cranberry/walnut stuffing, kale and cranberry salad, homemade cranberry-orange relish, traditional and vegan pies (pumpkin, key lime). Looking forward to it. :)