The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What are you drinking right now? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13347)

sexobon 04-07-2020 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Those prices aren't bad. I used to buy Bordeaux top growths. For instance, I bought a half case of the 1982 Château Haut-Brion at $55 a bottle in early '85. Then the newly evolving Chinese upper class latched onto Bordeaux wines as status symbols and drove prices through the roof. By the time I was opening my bottles with holiday meals, 20-25 years later, the price had already shot up into the hundreds of dollars each. Today you can get the price down to around $850 a bottle if you buy it by the case; but, a little over $1K each by the bottle. Not for me. I felt a bit crazy for indulging in the $55 bottles at the time. These days, that's nothing for good wines from anywhere.

Price in Pounds per case of 12.

Attachment 70226

xoxoxoBruce 04-07-2020 11:42 PM

Too early is a prejudism, time is a human construct, as long as society is collapsing take the opportunity to rearrange your script.
Wine on your Cheerios, clothing optional, let the Sun shine in!! :haha:

footfootfoot 04-08-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1050388)
Too early is a prejudism, time is a human construct, as long as society is collapsing take the opportunity to rearrange your script.
Wine on your Cheerios, clothing optional, let the Sun shine in!! :haha:

The benefits of hermiting combined with the wisdom of age.

Right now I’m drinking coffee with half and half. I’ve got the java jive and it’s got me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diaphone Jim 04-08-2020 11:02 AM

https://www.nharv.com/blog/word-of-the-day-prejudism

As an employee of another winery at the time, it's likely I got the bottle at half-price, but it is hard to know what regular retail was then. $20 to $25?
The current vintages sell for about $50.

Dude111 04-08-2020 01:07 PM

Drinking Nice cold Milk :) (Organic whole)

BigV 04-08-2020 07:10 PM

Bourbon

Urbane Guerrilla 04-10-2020 02:45 PM

Be drinking nice cold milk once we go out and get some.

Urbane Guerrilla 04-10-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elSicomoro (Post 974683)
Guayaki Yerba Mate...Enlighten Mint flavor

I take my mate amargo, sucked from the gourd. More fuerza to the brew than what's in those cans. Not that flavored mate is unknown at all, even in the half kilo bag.

Half(ish) full of la yerba out of the bag (looks like chopped alfalfa), wet down with cool water, then infused using justlukewarm water. It is mate manners to drink the first, potentially bitter, gourdful yourself before infusing the next one for your guest. Very gradually, mixing cool water with hot, increase the infusing temperature with each succeeding gourdful. Your mate is giving its best flavor when a little greenish foam is visible on top; foamless is pretty much spent, recharge your gourd with fresh yerba.

Some brands/blends include stems and twiglets -- these add a bit of something. Kind of bori-cha.

You do need the bombilla to drink with; it has a bulbous strainer, whence its name.

The wife says when I'm wearing rumpled khaki shorts of a summer day and drinking a gourdful that it makes me look like a rather demented planter of some interesting South American crop.

Diaphone Jim 04-11-2020 02:29 PM

I kept getting mate, friend and wife mixed up.

xoxoxoBruce 04-11-2020 11:03 PM

Man you gotta pay closer attention, mixing up those three will bring nothing but pain. :facepalm:

Urbane Guerrilla 04-12-2020 10:18 PM

Sure, you can do a nice gourd of mate with your mate. Handle knowledgeably. IOW, better than this level of wordplay.

Diaphone Jim 04-13-2020 11:57 AM

The wine I pulled at random from my stash this week was a 1990 Zinfandel from Greenwood Ridge Vineyards in Philo, Mendocino County, California.
The winery is in the Anderson Valley, but the grapes came from old vines in the Alexander Valley, Sonoma County.
It has great facility and tasting room and makes really nice wine, especially late harvest ones.
For many years, it also has hosted the World Wine Tasting Championships which demand of both amateur and professional noses and palates knowledge of varieties, appellations, vintages and even individual wineries.
This wine had a dry cork and little sediment.
The nose and flavors were very agreeable, but not outstanding: a quite nice experience in total. It was the right time, or maybe a little late, to enjoy it.

Griff 04-13-2020 01:18 PM

It's pretty cool that you're doing this DJ. I imagine it is a great way to relive some places and moments.

Urbane Guerrilla 04-21-2020 01:00 AM

We're tending to wrestle crumbled corks, worse luck. Even with laid-down bottles.

Diaphone Jim 04-21-2020 12:12 PM

This week's lucky pick was from a small local winery: Frey Vineyards of Redwood Valley.
They may have been California's first 100% organic producer and the whole Frey family were involved at the remote ranch.
The wine was a 1984 Mendocino appellation Cabernet Sauvignon which the label promised would improve for 2 to 3 years. Instead I found it very enjoyable at 36.
The winery is slowly recovering from almost total destruction in the 2018 fires that raged around their valley and mine.