The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wet or Dry? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14593)

Cyclefrance 06-18-2007 03:00 AM

Wet or Dry?

It's the big one! - an emotional subject bound to divide the male population of the Cellar - will friendships be demolished? Will you gasp at the revelations this subject produces. Is UG a closet dry man? So many questions to be answered.

And all because I have acquired a new electric razor - nice job - top of the range Philishave - gives a nice, clean, dry shave - but what does this revelation do for my standing amongst so many testosterone-enriched, lather-faced Cellar buddies?

Now I've been a dry shaver all my life - this has caused some severe 'tutt-tutts' from many comrades - and even more abrasive comments than that in its time (what is a woosser btw?). But put me near a bladed razor, and, apart from the fact that the lather goes everywhere. I am simply just incapable of completing a wet shave without spilling generous quantities of the red stuff.

So my secret's out of the closet. But who else is brave enough to bare his stubble - and what's with all that lather compulsion anyway? And where do the ladies stand on this sensitive (and I'm not just talking about the skin on my face) subject?

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2007 03:38 AM

Bah, real men don't shave.

Cyclefrance 06-18-2007 04:44 AM

Sorry about that - I overlooked the 'pull out with bare hands' option...

monster 06-18-2007 07:22 AM

and the beardy option

glatt 06-18-2007 08:02 AM

When I first started to shave, I used shaving cream and razors. After a few years of that, I got an electric and haven't gone back. Once you know what you are doing with an electric, you get just as close a shave as with a blade, and it's far far cheaper. Faster too. Only down side is that there is a mild burning feeling on your skin right after, but that's why you just splash a little water on your face.

lumberjim 06-18-2007 08:07 AM

i used to use electric. it does not get as close as a blade. now i use a mach 3 turbo and i usually shave in the shower....no shaving cream.

if i forget, i use a little of this:
http://www.shavesecret.com/images/bl...trial_size.jpg

quick, neat and it has a pleasant odor. lasts forever too.

Clodfobble 06-18-2007 09:12 AM

I voted Mr. Clodfobble's preference--electric, and for the record I prefer it too. It's faster and doesn't make a mess all over the sink.

Kitsune 06-18-2007 09:24 AM

Each 3rd Christmas or so I'll receive an electric as a gift which will, inevitably, end up in the trash a week later. Every brand I've tried takes too much time because it misses so much with each pass and the repeated motions only end up irritating my face. For me, a blade has always done a better job, although the expense is a bit maddening. I've always been tempting to try a safety razor, but everything about those devices suggests there's little "safe" about them.

Never trust a man with a beard. Anyone that wakes to look himself in the mirror and hold a blade to his own throat first thing each morning demands more respect than anyone unshaven.

BrianR 06-18-2007 10:13 AM

I use an electric for convenience' sake only. Wet shaves are the closest I've ever had but are not practical for me.

I'm being slowly forced to admit that electrolysis might be the best option for me as I HATE to shave and hate having a stubbly chinny chin chin also.

We'll see

Brian

Flint 06-18-2007 10:35 AM

Mach3, while skin is hot and steamy in the shower.

HungLikeJesus 06-18-2007 02:14 PM

I also use a Mach3, and have found that the blade will last at least 6 months, if I don't mind a little discomfort.

monster 06-18-2007 02:17 PM

Beest is bearded, but tidies it up a little with one of those three-blade jobbies and shaving gel after the shower.

jinx 06-18-2007 02:19 PM

I just switched back to the mach 3 (used the quattro for a while and then the one with 5 (really 6) blades. I liked the 5 blade when it first came out (the single blade on the edge is an awesome feature), but then it seemed like the blades were dull right out of the package - too expensive and too much razor burn.

The vibration is stupid though, imo. Needs to be much stronger or don't bother.

lumberjim 06-18-2007 02:35 PM

perv

Clodfobble 06-18-2007 05:41 PM

Oh, I didn't even think about my own shaving preferences--are there really women out there who use electric shavers? That's just weird. I use a Gillete Tracer, and only have to replace the blade every six months or so.