The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Apollo 11 (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34420)

be-bop 07-21-2019 05:16 PM

Apollo 11

Ok how many of you in Cellar-land are of the opinion that it didn’t happen?
Been reading loads from people that think it was all a con, staged and a downright fraud by NASA,
I’m not of that opinion by the way, but I’m curious as to why so many people are.
How can you keep a lid on it for 50+ years and over 400,000 people directly involved for 10 years or more if it was faked?

sexobon 07-21-2019 06:11 PM

When the lunar lander was firing it's retrorockets to touchdown, it would have melted the green cheese the moon is made of and turned the landing site into a big fondue; yet, nothing that supposedly came back from the moon had cheese on it. The clincher was that when asked, none of the astronauts could identify which wine pairs best with green cheese. Just too many holes in the story to be believable.

Happy Monkey 07-21-2019 08:17 PM

One sad result of the coincidence of timing is that there will be a set of conspiracy theorists who will think that Trump is the president who got people to the moon.

xoxoxoBruce 07-21-2019 10:22 PM

I suspect it's people who were never part of the in-crowd at any place or time, always the last to know the real story. Latching on to a conspiracy theory makes them feel superior the the misled masses. If you think those moon landing deniers are stupid, they don't hold a candle to the flat earthers. :rolleyes:

Carruthers 07-22-2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1035954)
If you think those moon landing deniers are stupid, they don't hold a candle to the flat earthers. :rolleyes:

Leave us flat earthers out of it.

I damned near fell off the edge the other day and I'd only nipped out for a pint of milk. :rolleyes:

tw 07-22-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 1035950)
One sad result of the coincidence of timing is that there will be a set of conspiracy theorists who will think that Trump is the president who got people to the moon.

Most people do not know how to separate hearsay from facts. Hypothesis supported by experimental evidence is ignored. Hearsay promoted by targeting an emotional brain (that of a child). Once the emotional person has bought into a myth, then that person will even get angry (ie resort to profanity) when facts and numbers expose that lie.

Saddam's WMDs were a perfect example.

The resulting thought process is called confirmation bias. Once one trusts another, then those lies must be true. No honesty can change their minds.

Same applies to the so many with fears of genetically modified foods. And those who fear child vaccinations. Neither fear is justified by any facts. Confirmation bias is clearly at play. Why would anyone believe a blond bimbo actress with no education who simply read lies from a Doctor. And cannot even admit he was lying when facts say so without doubt? Confirmation bias. She is pretty so she must be trustworthy.

How to separate lies from facts? Facts come with reasons why and perspective - numbers. And many paragraphs of text. Confirmation bias is easily promoted and hardened by emotions such as trust and subjective reasoning. And soundbyte (single sentence) statements.

Confirmation bias also makes reading anything longer than one paragraph difficult. Confirmation bias even makes this too difficult to read. Confirmation bias proves Trump is always right. His tweets routinely are only 140 characters long. So it must be true.

Undertoad 07-22-2019 09:12 AM

And, for those who are "always right" with "facts", Twitter is 280 characters

yup. since 2017

xoxoxoBruce 07-22-2019 10:11 AM

Shish kabob.:lol:

tw 07-22-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1035968)
Twitter is 280 characters

Tweeter says almost all posts are still less than 140 characters. That additional fact is relevant. For example, wackos extremists, who automatically believe a racist president, are happy with 140 character posts. Since that is sufficient to be knowledgeable. 140 characters is sufficient to justify Nazi, KKK, or white supremacy.

Apparently xoxoxoBruce knowledge base is limited to 70 character. How will Trump tell him truths? Oh. Confirmation bias. He already knows.

lumberjim 07-22-2019 11:49 AM

Tony, can you limit tw to 140 character posts?

tw 07-22-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1035976)
Tony, can you limit tw to 140 character posts?

I do not know how to be brainwashed and uninformed. Sorry. I cannot post like a Trump racist (also called extremist).

Griff 07-22-2019 05:06 PM

He says in fewer than 140 characters.

tw 07-23-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1035982)
He says in fewer than 140 characters.

I was hoping somebody would count. 118 chars.

tw 07-23-2019 07:57 PM

be-bop's original question is answered by "confirmation bias".