The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Politics of a Health Crisis (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34967)

Happy Monkey 04-08-2020 10:00 AM

Probably not; my first thought was psychiatry, and this seems to support that:
Quote:

Dr. Drew Pinsky is a practicing physician, Board Certified in Internal Medicine, and Board Certified in Addiction Medicine. Pinsky is also Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Keck USC School of Medicine.

He was a rehab doctor.

xoxoxoBruce 04-08-2020 11:17 AM

Another Dr Phil?

Undertoad 04-08-2020 12:29 PM

Politician

Happy Monkey 04-08-2020 12:32 PM

Dr Phil was a psychology PhD, but no longer has a license.

Undertoad 04-08-2020 01:23 PM

Drew produces about 4 hours of content every day

I listened to him on Mar 18 and reported on it and his advice/information was sensible in context IMO

Without watching the video I suspect somebody has a politically-driven cancel culture agenda item to fulfill

Perhaps hence it was posted in this particular thread

People have extra spare time now, but to go through a month worth of 4 hours/day content in order to selectively edit takes either wild motivation, or a salary

Flint 04-08-2020 01:51 PM

It's just a straightforward video of a person saying things.

It's not deceptively edited or spliced together, it's just a compilation of a person haphazardly wielding their influence to be tragically, emphatically wrong on a subject that has/had real-world consequences.

Is being recorded speaking for four hours a day an excuse for being repeatedly, spectacularly wrong on an important subject? Just weigh the pros and cons-- 1) pros: talking man feels bigly important, 2) cons: talking man disseminates harmful information

Happy Monkey 04-08-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1050451)
I listened to him on Mar 18 and reported on it and his advice/information was sensible in context IMO

Without watching the video I suspect somebody has a politically-driven cancel culture agenda item to fulfill

Not to get in the way of your pet theory, but the video covers what you reported on, and what he later said about what he said then, and what he later said about that, among other things.

Undertoad 04-08-2020 01:55 PM

I watched him in context, but whatevs!

It's political, it's a dunk video, have fun with your dunking and whatnot

Flint 04-08-2020 02:01 PM

I think the video has a serious use. It's the same as warning people not to put crystals in your vagina because Gwyneth Paltrow, to please ignore Jenny McCarthy about vaccines, and David Avacado Wolfe about everything.

Saying a person said a thing isn't a dunk, it's accountability.

Undertoad 04-08-2020 03:00 PM

My feeling is, when you watch any edited video, you are getting two points of view

1. The person speaking

2. The editor

Flint 04-08-2020 03:24 PM

I watched it again because you keep mentioning editing. It's somewhat chopped, I note upon review.

I still weigh more heavily that it's impossible in any interpretation that he didn't repeatedly make harmful statements, even accounting for a reverse-Nostradomus effect, where he was repeatedly wrong within a large body of work. And.. since he acknowledged it himself-- that p r o v e s that he actually said and meant it? Right?? Video editing is rendered moot-- he conceded the point ?!

Clodfobble 04-08-2020 04:12 PM

If I had to guess, I would say the backlash to Drew's statements in particular (because plenty of people outside the Fox universe said similar things and aren't getting vilified) have to do with the everpresent condescension in his voice. It wasn't "Don't worry, it's no worse than the flu," it was "no, you fucking morons, it's not dangerous, and you're morally repugnant for ignoring the real danger of the flu." People who get dunked on feel compelled to dunk back.

And to be honest, anyone who had to deal with addicts all day, and then LoveLine callers, and then internet trolls for decades on end... It's easy to understand how the frustration could rot him from within, to the point that that's just his normal way of speaking. Still not a good look, but I guess it's a better job hazard than black lung.

Flint 04-08-2020 04:23 PM

Also, he makes the statements while calling himself "a doctor" ?

Undertoad 04-08-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

that p r o v e s that he actually said and meant it? Right??
How does one defend against cancel culture? Your own instinct is, now we shall X him off the list and never listen to him again!! Radio Doctor BAD!! Literally Paltrow!! How does one defend against that? Not with reasoning!

Meanwhile I report back having listened to the entire hour in the middle of it, wrote up a post about it, and found nothing outrageous... but my post bears no weight whatsoever.

Undertoad BAD!! I guess? Did I fuck up in the past, am I X'd off your list?

If the only people we trust are people who never got anything wrong, we will actually be putting our trust into people who avoided saying anything controversial. Well, fuck that particular kind of shit. I think it will screw us in the end. I think it already has.

Flint 04-08-2020 04:31 PM

you're the only one saying any of those things, that's your hang-up. start a thread