The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The vault (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20645)

lumberjim 07-11-2009 11:31 PM

The vault

Take a step back from your self when you notice it. You have that feeling like everything is going OK. You're enjoying the moment, and wish you could save the feeling. Maybe you're watching your kids having fun, or the weather is just perfect, and you've just done some yard work, or you notice how much you love your spouse...... whatever... Stop and look around. At the moment when you realize your contentment, take a mental photograph, sniff the air.... Pick out a unique image or color, or something to tie it to, and freeze it. Think of other times when you felt like this.

Now lock it up in the Vault. Visualize physically stashing this feeling inside a big cartoon safe with the big tumbler on it. put it with those other memories, and lock the safe.

the big thing is to remember to open that safe and take the memories out every now and again.

xoxoxoBruce 07-11-2009 11:42 PM

Wouldn't it be better to try to recreate it every day?

lumberjim 07-12-2009 12:02 AM

YEAH....but you can't. life happens...

and if everyday was like that, it would be nothing special.

Griff 07-12-2009 04:54 AM

Brilliant LJ.

Shawnee123 07-12-2009 10:21 AM

I like your posts about remembering to enjoy what's really important in life, jim.

limey 07-12-2009 11:46 AM

Me too ...

Sundae 07-12-2009 11:59 AM

R S Thomas said a similar thing, in one of my very favourite poems:

A Day in Autumn

It will not always be like this,
The air windless, a few last
Leaves adding their decoration
To the trees’ shoulders, braiding the cuffs
Of the boughs with gold; a bird preening

In the lawn’s mirror. Having looked up
From the day’s chores, pause a minute,
Let the mind take its photograph
Of the bright scene, something to wear
Against the heart in the long cold.

Flint 07-13-2009 12:05 PM

About a month ago I was just lying on my back in the backyard, looking up at the canopy of pecan trees rustling gently in the breeze, and hearing the chatter of my kids playing in the yard somewhere nearby, and I thought to myself "Right now, at this moment, this is the happiest I've ever been."

What made that moment possible is a huge structure of events and conditions, chiefly the support and camaraderie of a loving wife and everything that has precipitated from my union with her; and all of that is contained neatly in the snapshot I have of those swaying pecan branches, the soft grass, the warm summer air.

Shawnee123 07-13-2009 12:09 PM

Sundae, that is a beautiful poem.

Flint, your post is poetry.

Flint 07-13-2009 12:14 PM

Thanks. I tried to word that the way it felt.

I love lumberjim's very Silva Method technique of utilizing the right brain to set a memory hook.

BigV 07-13-2009 12:35 PM

Pay attention *now*. Soon, everything will change.

capnhowdy 07-13-2009 08:30 PM

LJ..... sometimes you can really be inspiring. Thanks.

lumberjim 07-13-2009 11:11 PM

You take certain things with you into the future. You can surely decide which things they are. In order to save a memory, you first have to notice it.

Here I am sitting on the balcony of a hotel in Cabo San Lucas. I woke up before the sun has risen, and I'm waiting for it to come up, so I can take a good picture to post on the cellar.

Now it's 1989, and I've taken a friend to Temple University, where she will be going to college..... It's January, and we're in a stairwell, and there is a door with one of those high mounted, small square windows in it. There's a bit of grey paint on the glass, and someone has scratched the word 'illusions' into it.

I'm in the back of a furniture delivery truck at dusk, and I look out and see the sun setting over an empty field. the sky is pink fading to orange. It's October, and I can FEEL the Autumn.

Flint gets it.

dar512 07-14-2009 08:52 AM

The best way to take things with you into the future is to write them down. This is one of the reasons some people keep a journal.

I posted a few years ago about a practically perfect day. I still vividly remember that day. I think because I wrote about it here.

But normally I'm too lazy to keep a journal.:sniff:

lumberjim 08-02-2009 10:37 PM

at 10 :45, i decided i needed to go grill my chicken breasts for lunch tomorrow and tuesday......jinx said.....'why don't you put those plantains on the grill too?'

so, by 11PM we had chicken, Plantain, Papaya and Peaches on the grill.

So we woke the kids up and had a fine time grilling the fruit ( and one marshmallow each) and then eating them. At one point, standing in the dark by the grill, looking up at the moonlit clouds, I caught the notion that I'm good to go. If I died right now, I would be fine with it. Glad I didn't and all, but......hey......this is going into the vault.