The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Nov 29, 2011: Chatham, MA (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26400)

xoxoxoBruce 11-28-2011 09:21 PM

Nov 29, 2011: Chatham, MA

I was visiting a friend in Chatham, MA, this past weekend. Most of you may not know, Chatham is on Cape Cod. It's a beautiful day, top down weather (my vehicle, not my friend), so we take a ride out Shore Road to the Chatham Lighthouse.

Shore Road is populated with mostly older houses, in either weathered cedar shingles (shakes) or painted gray with white trim. Most have tiny front yards, and many have white picket fences. I'm told they are owned by very old families, or have been bought by lesser millionaires who use them and sometime rent them for several thousand dollars a week.

And then...

http://cellar.org/2011/yel-grn1.jpg

And from a dead end drive to the water...

http://cellar.org/2011/yel-grn2.jpg
Sorry about the quality, shooting into the Sun. :blush:

The story I got, was somebody bought this house and applied for a permit to move it back from the street 10 feet. You can see the corner of the house comes right out to the curb. I checked out the back yard, and it'd pretty big for that neighborhood. So it's a reasonable request, as I see it, and shouldn't be a big deal except for the considerable expense to the owner.

But Nooooooooooooo!
The local We've-got-ours-fuck-you Committee turned down the permit application.

Hmmm, what to do...what to do???
They painted it yellow & green like my mother's '56 Chevy...
and donated it's use to <strike>Retarded<strike> Developmentally Challenged Support Groups...
from out of town.

Fuck me? Noooo, fuck YOU. :D

Now before you start in with what a wonderful thing to do for the Support Groups, stifle it. That's not the point.

monster 11-28-2011 09:39 PM

they shoulda gone for poor as fuck economically challenged groups from Detroit and similar evirons. Some form of "rehab".....

monster 11-28-2011 09:40 PM

and by "rehab" we mean see how much better pickings there are outside of our city? Now get the fuck out and stay out

footfootfoot 11-28-2011 10:50 PM

I love "spite" houses. There should be a coffee table book of pictures of them with stories.

It would fucking sell out.

Trilby 11-29-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 776325)
I love "spite" houses. There should be a coffee table book of pictures of them with stories.

That, my friend, is a GREAT idea.

all we need to do is pitch the idea to a publishing house, get the $$$$$ for research (we'll have to do a cross-country trip and it will take around - what? - three years?) and then take another year to sort and file and voila! After four years of subsidized travelling and fun, we become celebrated authors and literally roll in money and accolades!

Let's do it!

Sundae 11-29-2011 07:38 AM

Bri! It's the idea we've been waiting for!
Please say you already have me flagged as a Research Assistant?
An American roadtrip is right up my alley.

Trilby 11-29-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 776364)
Bri! It's the idea we've been waiting for!
Please say you already have me flagged as a Research Assistant?
An American roadtrip is right up my alley.

Naturally we need you! Who else would keep bruce entertained while me and foot do all the "work"?

:D

Sundae 11-29-2011 08:00 AM

Yebbut, I'd be the furriner who charms the locals out of their stories.
There's no harm in telling this English lady about local disputes, not like anybody we know would get to hear...

Now. Who's driving?
No, silly question. It's Bruce.

infinite monkey 11-29-2011 08:19 AM

Can I be the drunken companion you'd really like to get rid of but just don't have the heart to? The one who needs all the bathroom stops? And who you lose from time to time but I always seem to catch up in the next town?

We can start with the grandpappy of spite signs, here in my town:

(My Town) Protocol: Bend Over, Grab Ankles.

Erected by a disgruntled homeowner over the same sort of thing. I went by it after Thanksgiving. It's faded and worn but you can still read it! The city tried to make him take it down but the guy followed the rules on placement and erection.

Sundae 11-29-2011 08:24 AM

Babba, we Strawberry Festival Queens travel together.
You're already on the list.

Although I think we're looking at an airstream trailer now.
Hey - we're going to need ice!

infinite monkey 11-29-2011 08:26 AM

The world will never be the same!

What a hoot.

Come on, let's follow our bliss. I have nothing to lose! ;)

blueboy56 11-29-2011 12:53 PM

Sorry, no photo, but the large sign on the front door of a cottage out here clearly said "GO AWAY". I loved it and am tempted to go to the local sign people and have one made for me.

Griff 11-29-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 776325)

Brilliant! I call DD.

Trilby 11-29-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 776515)
Brilliant! I call DD.

DD?

What? Is that a bra size req??

Diaphone Jim 11-29-2011 06:06 PM

It is hard to believe some dickhead paid a million bucks for that crackerbox and then didn't like exactly where it was on the lot.