The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Be a post whore! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13909)

Shawnee123 10-12-2009 01:04 PM

Well if I said how I really feel I'd sound all stalky and mushy. ;)

Henry 10-12-2009 01:07 PM

Running triggers certain impulses in predators and that's all I need to know.

monster 10-12-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry (Post 600563)
Running triggers certain impulses in predators and that's all I need to know.

I can live in hope....

Cloud 10-27-2009 10:46 PM

I'm sitting here reading a story and simultaneously watching tv, as I often do.

I'm reading a short story which features a stray dog named Katie. When they name her that, I'm thinking, that's dumb, what kind of a dog name is "katie?"

and --

in the tv show I'm watching - THERE'S A STRAY DOG NAMED KATIE!

I'm creeped out.

Cloud 10-28-2009 09:34 PM

how's this for a segue? I'm watching Criminal Minds; a show where they chase killers who are referred to as "unsubs" i.e., unknown suspects. And what commercial comes on? A KFC ad.

"an unsub frame of mind."

signs, signs, everywhere I see signs

classicman 10-28-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 603859)
I'm sitting here reading a story and simultaneously watching tv, as I often do.

I'm reading a short story which features a stray dog named Katie. When they name her that, I'm thinking, that's dumb, what kind of a dog name is "katie?"

and --

in the tv show I'm watching - THERE'S A STRAY DOG NAMED KATIE!

I'm creeped out.

Was the movie based upon the book?

Cloud 10-28-2009 10:00 PM

was the tv show based on the story? nope; no connection

Sundae 10-30-2009 09:34 AM

How do you slice a loaf of bread without squishing it?
I am a spoilt child of the '70s. 1972 if you have to know (how rude!)
Growing up we had a bread slicer. I say bread, it was manual and could be adjusted for ham or beef or fingers or whatever was your bag.

Apparently, the 'rents tried to get a replacement a couple of years ago, but the new one they got was rubbish and ended up in the charity shop.

The only bread I grew up slicing (kiddies didn't use the bread slicer!) was Italian bread. And that has a crust so thick it's like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I learned how to slice cheese. I learned how to butter fresh bread with real, cold butter (warm the butter up TBH) and to spread crackers without them cracking. BUT. Deli bread I buy, I always have to squash the air out of it to slice it. Squeeze and saw. Never the same once I've got at it.

Is this a lost art? Mum mourns the lost art of her parents' generation - carving a chicken so it lasts all week. Have my generation lost yet another art?

Shawnee123 10-30-2009 09:52 AM

It's all in the knife and the pressure. Working at the Country Club, we hand sliced the bread we took out with the salads. Chef loved me because I didn't squish it half to death when slicing. Once you get that first cut, the knife does all the work.

classicman 10-30-2009 10:00 AM

Sharp cerrated bread knife, I highly recommend a Wustof or a Henckels. PRoper tool for the job and all that. If your knife is dull . . . just go Italian and rip a hunk off.

Madman 10-30-2009 10:07 AM

302 posts before Dec 31, 2009.

...just felt like saying that.

Gee... I feel like a Cellar veteran. :)

monster 11-02-2009 04:39 PM

Thinkpad sounds like an artificially intelligent sanitary towel. Probably made in Tampa.

ZenGum 11-02-2009 06:59 PM

But what would a sanitary pad with AI be thinking?

Get me outta here?

DanaC 11-02-2009 07:01 PM

@ Sundae: needs to be a sharp serrated knife (as has been mentioned). The trick is to make the first cut and then 'saw' quite fast but without putting on too much pressure.

Shawnee123 11-03-2009 11:35 AM

Hey, I just saw your sig line, Sundae. :)

Now, what it T E H?