The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Random Thoughts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29481)

DanaC 06-16-2015 07:52 PM

I was checking out a list of top indie films for last year at Indiewire, and came across this film synopsis.

http://www.indiewire.com/film/goodbye-to-language

Quote:

Synopsis: The idea is simple: A married woman and a single man meet. They love, they argue, fists fly. A dog strays between town and country. The seasons pass. The man and woman meet again. The dog finds itself between them. The other is in one, the one is in the other and they are three. The former husband shatters everything. A second film begins: the same as the first, and yet not. From the human race we pass to metaphor. This ends in barking and a baby's cries. In the meantime, we will have seen people talking of the demise of the dollar, of truth in mathematics and of the death of a robin.
I expect it will come as a surprise to nobody that it is a French film :p

it 06-16-2015 10:01 PM

I was late to the party and wasn't' able to generate the youtube discussion I hoped for in one of the very few youtube channels that actually have compelling discussions more often then troll wars, so... I might as well put this here and see what happens:

Perhaps We both advertise our connection to the childhood and doing so out of nostalgia, not directly as a desire to relive the object from our childhood but as a desire to relive the means for social esteem from our childhood, thus the need to socially advertise, simply because the means of esteem in our childhood are a lot more easily accessible to us then the means for esteem as adults, with every piece of media we ever seen accessible at any moment as the carrot, but economically depressive times with huge unemployment as the stick.

Or maybe it is nothing but accessibility? My inner cynic would offer a much simpler explanation, pointing at data mining, pirating and streaming as more obvious sources: In the past the only real way for producers to know what is popular was sales of mostly recently released media, and most of the accessible media was the most recently released media.
In a world where you are able to access nearly every piece of media ever created, there is a good chance what you'll access might not be the most recent one, and there's a good chance that someone is selling a publisher a file in which you are a line on a spread sheet where you together with other people can let some analyst in a company meeting say "Hey, look how many people are still into ninja turtles", and the reason we are watching those is simply because in a few clicks away, we can, and we are more likely to look for something we know of because.. We know of it.

Would we still do it without the stick? Would we still be spending that time bindging on old media if more of us got to do more fulfilling jobs were more likely to start families at younger ages and so on? Maybe not, maybe in gaining more esteem in the present our ideas of our positive experiences would be more grounded in the present. But I would speculate that the answer is... Yes, yes we would. Because even with less free time you'd still be able to choose among a much larger spectrum of media from different times and the most recent would still not necessarily be the best choice available.

And maybe that's alright - What if instead of thinking of it as recycled material from the past, think of it as people going to a museum to re-experience art pieces of the past, a very advanced museum that is able to get a [Statistically significant] reading of us as an audience and retouch the old pieces with changing preferences and sensibilities... Because it knows it can make a lot of money. Production motives aside, this suggests to me a more long term memory of cultural icons, which is significantly richer better then the world where we all simply followed the latest releases of whatever was thrown at us.

BigV 06-22-2015 09:51 PM

I'm a little tired. I was at work this morning at 830, after limited sleep. Thank you Twil for calling and waking me and giving me a chance to get to work on time, after wearing out the snooze button on my alarm.

Now I'm home. I watered the flowers. I've fed myself (NY strip steak, sauteed mushrooms and onions, caesar salad with mushrooms and carrots, no corn tonight, and a reaaallly big G&T. Really big. Last night I put the leftovers of the previous XL G/T, about 16 oz, in the freezer. It was solid tonight, the perfect icecube for a genuinely big G/T. Also, some leftover garlic naan and potato/pesto naan.) Fucking Nom.

AAAannnnyhow.

just hanging out with y'all now. I have on my "list" a trip to the beach/buff to take a sunseting picture of (near) the solstice. But that was a pretty big drink. I have an hour, so... we'll see.

Meantime, I'm just indulging myself in your posts from the last day or so. Thanks guys!

monster 06-27-2015 08:57 PM

Is it worth the IVF and everything to have triplets to name Gerry, Ronnie and Mo?

DanaC 06-28-2015 05:28 AM

Why else would you go through all of that?

xoxoxoBruce 06-28-2015 09:05 AM

Just grab triplets from the SPCA. ;)

monster 06-28-2015 11:19 AM

Scotland's Pretend Celts Association?

xoxoxoBruce 06-28-2015 11:27 AM

Yeah, those animals too. :haha:

xoxoxoBruce 07-05-2015 05:19 PM

Today, July 5th, Earth At Aphelion Day. At approximately 4 p.m., Earth will be at the furthest point from the sun in its orbit —the aphelion—at a distance of about 94,510,000 miles. So run around naked, how could it burn you from that far away. :blush:

Lamplighter 07-05-2015 07:59 PM

Pics, or it didn't happen.

xoxoxoBruce 07-13-2015 02:46 PM

Instructions for my new sunglasses, I could read the page labeled EN.
I could not read the pages labeled SL, PL, BG, RO, IT, FR, ES, GR, DK, FI, RU, DE, PT, HL, SE, ET, CN, SK, CZ, H, LT, TR, or LV.
If the Stewarts had done a better job we wouldn’t need all these pages. http://cellar.org/2015/willy_nilly.gif

Gravdigr 07-14-2015 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 52516

One other Mayberry marriage comes to mind. The guy who ran the fix-it shop (Hank, or, Henry, maybe Emmett) was featured in an episode where the wife wanted him to retire.

Anybody know if they ever addressed what happened to Opie's mother? I've missed that, I think.

Wiki:

Quote:

Opie's mother is mentioned only once in the series. In "Wedding Bells for Aunt Bee", Andy tells Opie he had a love for the boy's mother similar to the love Aunt Bee feels for her beau. Other than this one mention, Opie's mother is non-existent on the show. There are no photographs of her in the house, or other souvenirs, and no one mentions a grave. She apparently has no relatives in Mayberry such as parents or siblings as Opie never mentions grandparents or aunts and uncles except those on his paternal side. In the backdoor pilot episode from The Danny Thomas Show, viewers learn Andy lost Opie's mother when the boy was "the least little speck of a baby."

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

In the pilot episode it is mentioned that Opies mother died when he was "just the least speck of a baby". We learned Barney was the best man at the wedding and Andy was very much in love with his wife. We never learn her name or much more history. We also know Barney is Opies godfather. Some have specualted that maybe she died during Opies birth but their was never proof of that info in the series.
link

Undertoad 07-14-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 933498)
Instructions for my new sunglasses

1. open glasses
2. place on face, with side arms over the tops of ears
3. push onto face until bridge sits securely on nose
4. for safety, remove glasses when conditions become dark

1. vidrios abiertos
2. lugar en la cara, con los brazos laterales sobre las copas de los oídos
3. empuje en la cara hasta que el puente se sienta segura en la nariz
4. para la seguridad, quite las gafas cuando las condiciones se vuelven oscuras

1. verres ouvertes
2. placer sur le visage, les bras secondaires sur les sommets des oreilles
3. Appuyez sur le visage jusqu'à ce que le pont soit solidement placée sur le nez
4. pour la sécurité, retirer les verres lorsque les conditions deviennent sombres

1.打开眼镜
2.将脸,侧臂在耳朵顶部
3.按压于脸部,直到桥安全地坐在鼻子上
4.安全,摘掉眼镜时的条件变得黑暗

sexobon 07-14-2015 08:35 PM

faux polyglot savant

Gravdigr 07-19-2015 04:02 PM

Every time I see a Broderick Crawford western, I wonder how they would explain a cowboy in the Olde West having such a thick modern Brooklyn accent.

it 08-13-2015 09:22 PM

So, to say usually I am not a fan of Keynesian economics is a huge understatement...

But I've been noticing some of the shifts in investments and innovation over the years, and thinking about the bloom and burst economical impact on the world, and I am wondering if technological progress the way we know it isn't in some way one of them.

while for a long period innovation was focused on ubiquitous technologies and extending their reach utility and infrastructure, over the last few years you see increasingly more innovation in the realms of toys for the wealthy... Space tourism, smart houses, household robotics, self-driving cars.

I can't help but wonder, has this happened before? Weren't fat oversized computers becoming corporate and institutional mainstreams at a time of general economic depression during the 70s? Didn't the explosion of automobiles happen straight after the big american depressions at the turn of last century?

Maybe this is how it's done - a period in which we make the big investments to overcome the central challenges to what we could achieve, and a period in which we pick the low hanging fruits and squeeze the juice out of it - exploring what we can do with it and making it ubiquitous to society at large.

If this is true, maybe the modern day combination of welfare and government intervention deserves some credit - maybe what we need is not to stop doing this but to find ways to prevent it from causing unnecessary suffering.

Gravdigr 08-16-2015 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53004

Gravdigr 08-28-2015 12:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53185

Attachment 53186

Attachment 53187

Gravdigr 09-05-2015 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53261

Attachment 53262

it 09-10-2015 12:03 PM

So when is that line exactly where people who are otherwise progressive find out that society has marched on and they are now more conservative then otherwise?

My mother tends to think of herself as quite liberal, and yet once in awhile when talking to her she'll blur something out like "computer graphics can't be art" or "Television isn't part of culture" (To be clear, she's from South Africa, and their baby boomers didn't grow up with television because trade embargo's and stuff).

Gravdigr 09-11-2015 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53347

Gravdigr 09-15-2015 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53382

Attachment 53383

Zathris 09-15-2015 03:01 PM

I hate automated phone systems!

monster 09-15-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris (Post 939107)
I hate automated phone systems!

Your post is very important to us. Please continue to wait and read our awesome posts until the next person who gives a fuck becomes bored enough to reply.

Zathris 09-15-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 939130)
Your post is very important to us. Please continue to wait and read our awesome posts until the next person who gives a fuck becomes bored enough to reply.

LO frakkin' L

monster 09-15-2015 09:48 PM

Please read carefully as our options have changed.

For the Newb quiz, press up against Lumberjim
To make a donation, visit the tip jar and press Pay on your Paypal link
For sympathy about your finger, please fuck off.
For all other things, keep reading until something tickles your fancy.

BigV 09-16-2015 12:06 PM

+1

Gravdigr 09-16-2015 03:23 PM

Ditto.

Zathris 09-16-2015 06:56 PM

Soup.

Gravdigr 10-09-2015 06:21 AM

Sleep. Fuck it, who needs it.

infinite monkey 10-17-2015 05:02 AM

Jezus, can anyone else talk?

Gravdigr 10-18-2015 01:16 AM

What'sthatnow?

infinite monkey 10-18-2015 09:08 AM

Heh, just a random thought.

Gravdigr 10-18-2015 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53770

DanaC 12-05-2015 06:59 AM

I really love the German language. Always have. It's my favourite foreign language - I love its quirkiness, it's poetry and the way it feels to speak. I was watching this video about awesome German words that have no direct equivalent in English and which capture or express complex and specific feelings. I've heard it said many times that German is particularly well-qualified for capturing these difficult to express concepts and emotions. The same is often said of French - where a singlre word can capture whole something that English can't express.

I think there's a high degree of bollox to that. But I do not French to argue it in any kind of informed way :P I think the hang up on single words being able to express these complex and poetic concepts is missing the point when it comes to English - what we have isa language of ridiculous flexibility in expression and structure. You can play around with word order and meaning in staggering ways in English and still be coherent in a way that would collapse a sentence in many other languages. That it might take several words to say what another language could express in one doesn't make it less able to express that concept. For instance: Luftschloss = sky castle = unrealistic dream. That can be expressed in English - castles in the sky - and we all know what that means. Zeitgeist = time ghost = spirit of the time

But anyway - my point- inasmuch as I have one is that the video of awesome German words is pretty cool. But the only reason they are able to express these complex things in a single word is that they essentially just crush several words or a sentence together and call it a single word :P Which, it has to be said, is one of the things I love about German.

busterb 12-05-2015 07:35 AM

there is a word, in German which means to screw something up. to fix things that don't need fixing. I spent 2 1/2 years in Germany. And could talk and read a newspaper.

Spexxvet 12-05-2015 08:15 AM

The US should stop producing oil. Then, when the rest of the world has run dry, we be the only source, bitches. Because he who controls the spice oil, controls the world.:p:

DanaC 12-05-2015 08:16 AM

I'd have loved to spend some time in Germany when I was in my late 20s and learning the language. I was pretty good at it, though I have forgotten 90% or more of what I learned. I took classes at the Goethe Institute in Manchester for a couple of years. Our tutor was awesome. I'd always loved the german language, but he brought in so much of the cultural side as well.

xoxoxoBruce 12-05-2015 12:42 PM

Brits have the untranslatable words, that mean something only to them, in that rhyming slang. :rolleyes:

DanaC 12-05-2015 12:56 PM

Every language has concepts that they capture with a word or short phrase that doesn't quite directly translate because of the layered nature of language and meaning. But setting aside the incredible differences between wholly unrelated language types, in which there are such deep cultural differences that we conceive the world in entirely different terms - such as cultures in which temporal relationships are not a part of language - there's generally a pretty close equivalent to get across the same feeling or concept most of the time,and I don't think any of the european languages are superior to others in their ability to capture and express the sense of a thing.

xoxoxoBruce 12-05-2015 01:21 PM

When it comes to expressing sophisticated, suave, or romantic thoughts, foreign languages excel because they sound so... foreign. :lol2:

xoxoxoBruce 12-08-2015 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 888804)
Whenever Twil's lost, helpless and confused in bed, I always advise her to seize the pen. The story's never the same, but it almost *always* comes to a happy ending.

Recommended, five stars.

Wow, that's really kinky. :eek:

As long as I'm here, some sage advice...

infinite monkey 12-09-2015 12:30 PM

Are hashtags as a Cellar post add-on trending? Do these comments make it to Teh Tweeterz? Or are they just a new-fangled twist on the old way of pretending there is a smilie to accompany your post?

:ihatehashtagssmilie: <---- Like so?

Hey, if it's a 'thing' far be it from me to stop progress, but I do wonder if it has any outside relevance. Like if I hashtag a hashtag, do the twits see that on their feed?

@I don't understand twister #wtf does this thing do?

DanaC 12-09-2015 02:01 PM

As far as I know the only way the hashtag wuold be seen by anybody not already in the cellar would be if they searched for that hashtag on google and the cellar post came up.

I use them in jest on the Cellar - because I know they aren't actually going out as tweets, but they have a kind of rhythm and feel to them that I like. They just give a comment a different feel.

#twittersuckshashtagthecellarinsteadrowr

Zathris 12-09-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 947958)
@I don't understand twitter #wtf does this thing do?

Wuz that a #bazinga, or do you honestly not know...because this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 947961)
As far as I know the only way the hashtag wuold be seen by anybody not already in the cellar would be if they searched for that hashtag on google and the cellar post came up.

I use them in jest on the Cellar - because I know they aren't actually going out as tweets, but they have a kind of rhythm and feel to them that I like. They just give a comment a different feel.

#wellsaid

Incidentally, if anyone gives a damn, my Twitter profile is @ https://twitter.com/meeeesserjohn.

xoxoxoBruce 12-09-2015 03:58 PM

This ain't twitter, as far as I'm concerned those links are spam.

Zathris 12-09-2015 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 947976)
This ain't twitter, as far as I'm concerned those links are spam.

And yer not currently a mod, so why should I care.

Quote:

The Cellar: What It Is by Undertoad, owner/admin dude

First, the staff:

Owner/admin: Undertoad
Moderator: glatt
Moderator: limey
Moderators are elected, current term runs through 1/10/2016

xoxoxoBruce 12-09-2015 04:27 PM

You seem to think you're important or something? Why should I give a fuck whether you care or not, when I post my opinion on anything. :confused:

Zathris 12-09-2015 05:26 PM

I guess we wouldn't make very good Satanists then, huh? :D

Zathris 12-10-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris (Post 947989)
I guess we wouldn't make very good Satanists then, huh? :D

I retract this statement. I realize it makes no sense in this context, and I apologize for it.

And no, Bruce, I'm no more important than anybody else around here. I also realize I could have handled your comment about my Twitter links better.

DanaC 12-11-2015 11:38 AM

I just watched last night's episode of @Midnight, and for some reason during the guest intro one of the guests was dropping into an english accent, which she did very well, and Hardwicke needs little urging to play with his British accents, so it ended up with the entire panel just randonly talking British. Hardwicke and the guest who'd started did pretty good jobs of the accent, but more importantly they'd pretty much nailed the tone and slang as well. They were using words like mental and massive. But mainly a lot of swearing.

Made me laugh. It's funny to see how we are perceived, and it's clearly as people who swear constantly. But then, if the shoe fits....:p

Zathris 12-11-2015 12:09 PM

You get @midnight in England? :cool:

Zathris 12-11-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris (Post 948081)
I retract this statement. I realize it makes no sense in this context, and I apologize for it.

And no, Bruce, I'm no more important than anybody else around here. I also realize I could have handled your comment about my Twitter links better.

I get the feeling Bruce either doesn't believe me. or used that damn ignore feature.

BigV 12-11-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris (Post 948141)

Yes, practically every night.

DanaC 12-11-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris (Post 948141)

Not that I know of. I don't have Sky or cable tv though so there are a lot of channels I don't get - it might be on one of them.

I see it via streaming sites.

Quote:

I get the feeling Bruce either doesn't believe me. or used that damn ignore feature.
Or he hasn't been back through this thread since you posted.

Zathris 12-11-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 948146)
Not that I know of. I don't have Sky or cable tv though so there are a lot of channels I don't get - it might be on one of them.

I see it via streaming sites.

Got it.

DanaC 12-12-2015 07:30 AM

Something strange and frightening has just happened.

I just watched Thursday's Late, Late Show and Justin Bieber did a thing - and I quite liked him.

sexobon 12-12-2015 09:18 AM

Petit Stockholm syndrome.

BigV 12-12-2015 09:55 AM

he kissed a girl?