The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   I have a question for you strummers.... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15649)

DucksNuts 10-14-2007 07:55 PM

I have a question for you strummers....

It is acceptable? desirable? tacky? or what? to have that scratchy noise in between notes?

You know, when your fingers slide up and down the strings, you get that noise?

Whats the go there?

I know, I ask bimbo questions :)

lumberjim 10-14-2007 07:57 PM

i like it. makes it sound real. its just fingers sliding up or down the strings to the next spot.

elSicomoro 10-14-2007 08:00 PM

I'd say it's generally just part of playing guitar...you hear it in pretty much any genre. Doing so makes it easier to form the next chord or note, not to mention, it helps you keep hold of the neck.

Undertoad 10-14-2007 08:10 PM

If it's distracting to the song, it doesn't belong and the player should use a technique to avoid it.

Avoiding the noise is a large part of being a good bass player, since the winding on bass strings is larger and heavier. One way is to turn the treble down on the bass until the sound is just a bunch of mud. The other way is to use strings that haven't been changed in 20 years and eat greasy fried chicken just before every gig. James Jamerson, maybe the most important bass player in history, used that second technique.

Flint 10-14-2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

James Jamerson
aka "the hook" ... because he played with one finger

btw: I read "scratchy noise" as "scratchy nose in between notes"
...because I'm always fiddling about with one hand while holding it's stick under my arm and playing the time and accents with the other one.

SteveDallas 10-14-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 395125)
Avoiding the noise is a large part of being a good bass player, since the winding on bass strings is larger and heavier. One way is to turn the treble down on the bass until the sound is just a bunch of mud. The other way is to use strings that haven't been changed in 20 years and eat greasy fried chicken just before every gig. James Jamerson, maybe the most important bass player in history, used that second technique.

You didn't mention which method you prefer.

Flint 10-14-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 395161)
You didn't mention which method you prefer.

Oh good golly miss molly, the "things-you-mentioned-in-your-post" Police are here.

Undertoad 10-14-2007 09:56 PM

Oh I use the unmentioned third method... proper muting with good right-hand techniques. There's a "wandering thumb method" which seemed so sensible from the outset that I just learned to do it normally. My thumb is normally anchored on the string above where I'm plucking. That provides a mute for that string and a very strong hand position to get whatever sound I want, plucking soft or hard, fast or slow.

elSicomoro 10-14-2007 09:58 PM

Yeah...I bet you have an excellent right-hand technique.

Undertoad 10-14-2007 10:05 PM

Oh I'm the mother of all pluckers.

Flint 10-14-2007 10:10 PM

With my last band I always ordered a pizza for the guys before every gig.
Not to grease their strings with, but to make sure that nobody would be playing on an empty stomach.

btw: never washing the caked on spilled beer and accumulated dust etc. off, is also a great "EQ" for your cymbals.

Cicero 10-15-2007 12:47 PM

I must be more of a bimbo than you Clod, because I've said it before and I'll say it again...There is nothing I like better than a strong, authentic sounding male-vocalist, with dirty guitar. Strum, distort, tap, slide, whatever you want.....I prefer musicians that don't sound too manufactured, contrived to be just like x band or songwriter, and can appreciate the small imperfections as much as I can. Then again I like most music to be very "raw". I like cohesive, tight, music.....but there's nothing wrong with a little dirty guitar.

On that note, I will also take this opportunity to say:

Thurston (Sonic Youth)....I love you. Oh and my husband knows. So it's ok to call. He'll understand. We can still be friends.

:)

Clodfobble 10-15-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero
I must be more of a bimbo than you Clod,

Er, you mean Ducks? :)

lumberjim 10-15-2007 01:27 PM

lets not get into bimbo ranking here, ladies.

lumberjim 10-15-2007 01:27 PM

ok....let's