The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dec 1, 2009: Curtain Door (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21527)

xoxoxoBruce 12-01-2009 12:35 AM

Dec 1, 2009: Curtain Door

Not some college kid with an old shower curtain nailed over the doorway, or a slum shack with a curtain for a door. In this case, curtain door is a figure of speech, a technical description, because if you can afford this door, you ain't living in a slum, baby.;)

http://cellar.org/2009/door.jpg

Neatorama points to the Emerging Architecture site, showing this prize winning door.
Quote:

The door alone to this diamond merchant’s residence in Surat, India, was judged enough to make it one of the four prize winners this year.
At 5.2m (17ft) high and 1.7m (5.6ft) wide, the door is comprised of 40 sections of 254mm (10inch) thick Burma teak. Each section is carved so that the door integrates 160 pulleys, 80 ball bearings, a wire-rope and a counter weight hidden within the single pivot.
I don't understand how 40 pieces, 10 inches thick, adds up to 17 feet, but that's what is says?

Quote:

Stacked one above the other in the closed position, each plank can then rotate by a simple push causing the door to reconfigure into a sinusoidal curve.
If the cops break his door down, it'll cost more to fix than his lawyer will. :haha:

SPUCK 12-01-2009 04:55 AM

Screwy looking house.

Aliantha 12-01-2009 05:22 AM

Maybe it's the thickness of the door? That'd be my guess.

Sheldonrs 12-01-2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 613850)
...If the cops break his door down, it'll cost more to fix than his lawyer will. :haha:

How much does it cost to get a lawyer fixed? And why do you know this?

:D

glatt 12-01-2009 07:41 AM

It's a cool looking door, but doesn't look very weather tight. I can see light shining through the gaps on the sides, even where it's closed. It must be interior. The weather would come right through.

newtimer 12-01-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 613850)
I don't understand how 40 pieces, 10 inches thick, adds up to 17 feet, but that's what is says?

Notice the beams are rectangular, not square. The thickness of each piece, hence the door, is 10". The height of each piece is about 5".

Or maybe it's some kind of metric feet. Stinkin' commies.

Pie 12-01-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 613892)
It's a cool looking door, but doesn't look very weather tight. I can see light shining through the gaps on the sides, even where it's closed. It must be interior. The weather would come right through.

A lot of architecture in India is rather open. The climate favors breezes and central courtyards, open to the wind and rain.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klaus-Peter Gast
The courtyards also take up an old Indian architectural motif whereby the courtyard provides light and air for the rooms directly in this hot climate, and people are able to spend time outside or inside according to the time of day. The courtyard is also the classical symbol of something shared, a place where people meet, spend time with each other and live together. This aspect is emphasised in the courtyard for the general public, which is placed immediately inside the entrance and constructed in the form of a Kund, a large area of stone steps. Here people spend their waiting time together almost as if in a state of communal meditation. A waiting area that would be completely inconceivable in Western culture functions as a “think tank” here, with the ambience of waiting stimulating communal reflection.

glatt 12-01-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 613907)
A lot of architecture in India is rather open. The climate favors breezes and central courtyards, open to the wind and rain.

Good point. I didn't notice where it was.

monster 12-01-2009 10:30 AM

It's beautiful, but rather drowned by the big ugly walls. It's a cinderella curtain door.

SamIam 12-01-2009 01:10 PM

The site above also links to a series of extraordinary Nat'l Geographic pictures. http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...internati.html

glatt 12-01-2009 01:42 PM

Nice link.

kerosene 12-01-2009 05:11 PM

It looks beautiful but I still can't get my brain around how it is suppose to close.

ZenGum 12-01-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 613889)
How much does it cost to get a lawyer fixed? And why do you know this?

:D

... because we don't want them to breed.

monster 12-01-2009 09:11 PM

har har

xoxoxoBruce 12-02-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 614002)
It looks beautiful but I still can't get my brain around how it is suppose to close.

Case, looking from the top, it would open like a fan or deck of cards. It stays attached at the top, and each piece of wood swings open a little further than the one above it.