The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   6/14/2006: Traditional Chinese medicine (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11015)

Undertoad 06-14-2006 11:22 AM

6/14/2006: Traditional Chinese medicine

http://cellar.org/2006/cures.jpg

Another xoB WaPo image has this woman in Jinan, China receiving what the caption calls "traditional Chinese medical treatment. That's a walnut on her eye and "dry moxa leaves" in her ear. Why? Seems to be part of acupuncture:

Quote:

Acupuncture is often conducted in combination with Moxibustion. Moxibustion is the process where moxa sticks, made of dry moxa leaves (Artemisia vulgaris) is ignited and held about an inch above the patients’s skin over specific acupuncture points. Moxa is available in a loose form that can be used for making moxa cones. Alternatively, moxa is packed and rolled in a long stick like a large cigar, about 15-20 cm long and about 1-2 cm in diameter. The purpose of this process is to warm the qi and blood in the channels. Moxibustion is most commonly used when there is the requirement to expel cold and damp or to tonify the qi and blood. A single treatment of moxibustion usually lasts 10-15 minutes.
Another source makes it sort of an herbal Bengai lotion, with real heating and vapor action:
Quote:

Moxa refers to leaves of Artemisia argyii, a type of mugwort, that is used in the classial Chinese medicine practice of moxibustion (burning of moxa). In the characteristic ancient style of moxibustion, the leaves would be molded into a cone shape and placed on the skin or on some herb material (such as a slice of fresh ginger) resting on the skin. Then, it would be burned to produce a strong local heating, with vapors from the burning moxa penetrating the skin and contributing to a stimulation of circulation.
Wimpy Westerners, not wanting their skin to be burned, have changed this treatment:
Quote:

In modern times, this type of "direct moxa" treatment, where the moxa cones are burned while resting on the skin, have largely been replaced by a variety of indirect moxa methods, especially for Western patients who don't want to risk burning their skin as part of the treatment (in China, forming a blister at the moxibustion site had been considered a good sign of effective application of moxibustion).
A nice cigar burn would certainly increase and stimulate the patient's circulation.

Ibby 06-14-2006 11:33 AM

Chinese medicine will never stop amusing and interesting me.

One traditional chinese procedure is to use extremely powerful suction cups / vacuums on your skin, leaving GIANT round bruises.

Happy Monkey 06-14-2006 11:34 AM

Acuhickey?

Trilby 06-14-2006 11:56 AM

Quick! TEll Annoydsas and KImberly!! Quick-quick! They will SOOOOO totally want to get in on this!

Griff 06-14-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram
One traditional chinese procedure is to use extremely powerful suction cups / vacuums on your skin, leaving GIANT round bruises.

I've seen the results on the back of a child. I wonder how it would have played out if his teacher didn't know where they came from...?

Elspode 06-14-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Mrs Elspode owns a set of these, actually. I don't think she's used them on anyone yet, but give her time.

wolf 06-14-2006 01:16 PM

Mrs. Elspode is neither Chinese, nor traditional. I would be very, very concerned.

Owl 06-14-2006 01:45 PM

Cupping...it works...

Quote:

Hey there! :) Yep it's called cupping and it works--well for my gf's asthma, anyway (no, not by me--by (don't laugh) Dr. Kong...)

and yes bruises/marks that look much like the Salt-sucker monster from that one Star Trek :3_eyes:

Ibby 06-14-2006 01:59 PM

I've seen a bunch of people around MY school with those bruises.

wolf 06-14-2006 02:01 PM

If you were in Cleveland, that would be a surprising statement, Ibram.

Ibby 06-14-2006 02:05 PM

Well I do go to the Taipei American School, though about 90% of the school is Asian...

seakdivers 06-14-2006 02:24 PM

Welcome to the Cellar Owl!

xoxoxoBruce 06-14-2006 02:26 PM

The guy in the background looks like he has an ice bag on his head.....must have hemorrhoids.:rolleyes:

Wecome to the Cellar Owl, are you in the Far East?

barefoot serpent 06-14-2006 02:41 PM

The ancient healing art of cupping may have multiple origins.

http://www.japanesehealingarts.com/j.../p_cupping.jpg

xoxoxoBruce 06-14-2006 02:54 PM

I have a cup in DoDads. :D