The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Are YOU a mouth breather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14037)

LabRat 04-30-2007 11:56 AM

Are YOU a mouth breather?

1 Attachment(s)
I was googling for something when I came across this, a very interesting book.

A Handbook of Health By WOODS HUTCHINSON, A. M., M. D.
Copyright: 1911
Sometime Professor of Anatomy, University of Iowa; Professor of Comparative Pathology and Methods of Science Teaching, University of Buffalo; Lecturer, London Medical Graduates' College and University of London; and State Health Officer of Oregon. Author of "Preventable Diseases," "Conquest of Consumption," "Instinct and Health," etc.

Quote:

(pp. 257)Adenoids. If colds are neglected and allowed to run on, the inflammation spreads through the nose back into the upper part of the throat, or pharynx. Here it attacks a spongy group of glands, like a third tonsil, which swells up until it almost blocks up the nose and makes you breathe {257}through your mouth. These swollen glands are called adenoids, and cause not only mouth-breathing, but deafness, loss of appetite, indigestion, headache, and a stupid, tired condition; so that children that are mouth-breathers are often two or more grades behind in school, poor students, and even stunted and undersized. You can often tell them at sight by their open mouths and vacant, stupid look. A very simple and harmless scraping operation will remove these adenoids entirely, and what a wonderful improvement the mouth-breather will make! He will often catch up two grades, and gain two inches in height and ten pounds in weight within a year."
Italics, mine

Bwa ha ha ha !!!

elSicomoro 04-30-2007 01:56 PM

I can't breathe through my nose. And I might have vacant stupid looks...yikes!

lumberjim 04-30-2007 02:04 PM

sycamore called me a mouth breather once........once.

elSicomoro 04-30-2007 02:07 PM

No...I called you a mouthbreather, not a mouth breather.

steambender 04-30-2007 03:05 PM

a particularly notable sub-species is the droopy-lipped mouth breather, frequently encountered during transactions at fast food emporiums...

rkzenrage 04-30-2007 10:51 PM

My wife uses that insult when she is VERY angry.

Cloud 05-01-2007 12:26 AM

mouth breathing at night acCELLARates dental decay.

It's true--look it up!

ravenranter 05-01-2007 03:09 AM

I hear mouth breathing all of the time: I hear it behind me in movie theaters, I hear it behind me in the checkout lines, I hear it on the answering machine (before my mum decides to leave a message two minutes later). Sometimes I hear it at night, when I'm alone, watching television. I'll think to myself "What is that?":eek: I'll mute the sound...and sure, it's the cat, snoring with his mouth half-open.

Aliantha 05-01-2007 06:45 AM

After reading this I think I've figured out what's wrong with the kid from across the street...

TheMercenary 05-01-2007 10:45 PM

They may need a UPPP... Of course most mouth breathers are neck-fat people. "Horrific snoring" is another sign. And then of course there is the extreme example of the person with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and or Morbid Obesity.

xoxoxoBruce 05-02-2007 05:26 AM

The three in the picture don't look "neck fat".

Dude111 10-07-2020 01:48 AM

I am a mouth breather and have been for years........

Interesting reading about the nose from the link above......... (And everything else on the page which I still have yet to read)

jaminhealth 10-07-2020 01:55 PM

No and am very aware of this...I believe the GrapeSeed Extract has kept me so clear with circulation that I breath nicely thru my nose.....

xoxoxoBruce 10-08-2020 03:21 AM

But you have no proof that grape seed does a fucking thing except drain your wallet.