The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Funny/Embarrassing things they say (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7842)

BigV 07-18-2007 11:52 AM

SonofV has been increasingly proud of his muscles. "Look at that!" as he pumps up his bicep. So, in fun, we were arm wrestling the other night, and he was gamely battling to a draw. I raised my eyes up and over his shoulder and said "Hey, look at that!" When he turned his head to look, I pressed his arm down to the bed. Upon realizing he'd been tricked, he said "No fair! My arm was gullible!" :P

theotherguy 07-18-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 365126)
Aww!

I think he just really doesn't want to disappoint you. By the fact that he didn't deny jumping on the bed, I would say you are doing a good job. Sounds like it was difficult for him to tell the truth, but he still felt compelled to do so, even though he might have thought he would disappoint you.

I have to admit (I might be biased), but he really is a great kid. He listen well, has his own opinions, and loves humor. He started getting sarcasm at an early age. We knew we were in trouble then.

monster 07-18-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 365327)
Wow. Your kid probably weighs what, 35 pounds? And he fell from the bed to the floor upstairs, and you didn't hear the thump? I want to live in your house. We can hear them wiggling their toes in their shoes in this house.

We have a hanging pan rack in the ceiling right beneath the "hitting floor" point for the bunkbeds in the boys bedroom. They still seem surprised that we know they're out of bed......

theotherguy 07-19-2007 09:23 AM

special parent super powers

smurfalicious 07-19-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 365012)
!!

Is she ok?

yes, she's fine, thanks for asking. It's hot here, our blood is thin and tends to look worse than it is, I suppose.

smurfalicious 07-19-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 365366)
I broke my collar bone around that age too. My mom was trying the "we'll sit here all night until you eat that" tactic at dinner. I fell asleep and fell out of my chair and <snap>. It was totally worth it...

lol, I've tried that with my daughter, and she does the same thing... though without the broken collarbone. Now, I give her 20 minutes to eat, and what she doesn't finish gets served up for breakfast - cold.

I never said I wasn't a mean mama.

kerosene 07-19-2007 10:17 AM

I gotta try that, smurf...20 minutes and then it is in the fridge until breakfast. Wow. Pickiness is a pet peave for me.

kerosene 07-19-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theotherguy (Post 365391)
I have to admit (I might be biased), but he really is a great kid. He listen well, has his own opinions, and loves humor. He started getting sarcasm at an early age. We knew we were in trouble then.

Sounds like a good kid. Sounds like good parents.

smurfalicious 07-19-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 365648)
I gotta try that, smurf...20 minutes and then it is in the fridge until breakfast. Wow. Pickiness is a pet peave for me.

So far, it's the only that thing that has worked. Letting her go hungry didn't work - she just whined because she was hungry later. Making her eat everything didn't work because she either tried to make herself vomit, or would fall asleep at the table and still not have eaten.

And it gets super frustrating to constantly get on her case during dinner, which is the only time all day long we are all together with 100% attention on each other. So far, ti's working out quite well. Only had to enact the cold-dinner-for-breakfast twice in the last 6 months.

Mom-1
Girl-0

kerosene 07-19-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfalicious (Post 365656)
So far, it's the only that thing that has worked. Letting her go hungry didn't work - she just whined because she was hungry later. Making her eat everything didn't work because she either tried to make herself vomit, or would fall asleep at the table and still not have eaten.

Heh...extremely familiar. "I'll starve if I have to."

Clodfobble 07-19-2007 11:39 AM

"Well, it'll be interesting to find out for sure how many ribs you have, then."

:)

glatt 07-19-2007 11:54 AM

Our son can be a picky eater. We make him try everything on his plate, but he doesn't have to finish it. If he doesn't want to eat it, that's fine. He just won't be eating anything else until breakfast. He goes to bed hungry several times a week. His choice. No confrontation. No power struggle. No fuss.

We only have healthy foods for breakfast and he always eats a big breakfast after going to bed hungry.

jinx 07-19-2007 12:11 PM

I'm not responsible for what my kids eat - just what I make available to them. I don't let them order huge entrees that I know they won't finish at restaurants... but I never make them eat anything.

Shawnee123 07-19-2007 12:12 PM

Isn't it possible that some kids aren't "picky?" Can't our taste buds differ, and for some there is a real reason they don't want to eat it (as in they might puke?) Hardly seems worth broken collarbones or reverse peristalsis. But then again, if they only want yummies and have never tried something maybe you should make them try?

You parents have a tough job!

theotherguy 07-19-2007 12:17 PM

Mine just plain will not eat. Not picky. Just will not eat much more than goldfish crackers, a few apple bits, and, well, that is mostly it right now. I can sometimes get him to eat half of a pop-tart. Healthy. Thank God for vitamins and minerals in Carnation Instant Breakfast.