The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sin City (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7996)

mrnoodle 03-24-2005 02:37 PM

Sin City

I can't wait for this movie to come out next week. Has anyone read the comic from which it's derived? I hear the theatrical version is supposed to be a faithful interpretation, which NEVER happens with these.

Happy Monkey 03-24-2005 02:46 PM

It can happen when the author of the comic is the director of the movie. :)

I haven't read the comic, but I have read Miller's Dark Night series, and the man has some skills, and the movie looks amazing.

cowhead 03-24-2005 04:29 PM

I read a few of them 'back in the day' as it were, damn grim comic.. I'm hoping for the best on this one. (unlike what they did to batman...)

Clodfobble 03-26-2005 03:47 PM

My husband has read the comic, and also read previews of the movie's production and faithfulness online--and he is simply giddy with anticipation. I imagine it will be really good.

Happy Monkey 04-04-2005 09:43 AM

With the glaring exception of Brittany Murphy, and to a lesser extent Michael Madsen, the movie was awesome. Probably the best looking film I've seen, and an engrossing story from start to finish. Mickey Rourke was excellent, and Bruce Willis and Clive Owen were good.

Hopefully this will convice Hollywood that they don't need to Hollywoodize a story when making a movie.

Yeah, right. But I can always hope.

chainsaw 04-04-2005 11:51 AM

Movie was awesome. Total "eye-candy" even though it was very violent. I dug it. Sort of reminded me of Dick Tracy. A little.

wolf 04-05-2005 09:20 PM

If you like comic books, go see this movie.

If you like chicks, go see this movie.

If you like compelling antiheroes, go see this movie.

If you like guns, go see this movie.

If you like chicks with guns, go see this movie.

If you like compelling antiheroes with chicks and guns, go see this movie.

Pretty much no matter what you like, go see this movie.

I need to go see this movie again, so does the forksfriend I saw it with. Would there be interest in a GTG? Either at the theatre closest to Exton (East Whiteland?)

grazzers 04-06-2005 07:47 AM

Wow, if you guys like this movie, it's good enough for me. It doesnt come out here for a little while yet though, which is a shame. Seen trailers, looks great!

Cirocco 04-06-2005 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw it. Amazing. Matinee so only 10 people in the theater. Chicks, smoking, guns, sex, and some serious fighting. Not to mention all the stars. Amazing flick, out looking for the Graphical Novel. There was a reference to the classification of the genre I had never heard before.

The story of how Robert Rodriguez came to shoot this film, and all the crap that happened during the pitching of the production.

Robert wanted to give Frank Miller (the creator of Sin City) a co-directors credit for the movie. Rodriguez is affiliated with The Directors Guild of America, who is the union for directors, directors of photography, and so on. The Guild said he could not do so, as Frank Miller was not "a member", and that if Rodriguez was to give this credit to a non guild member, they would interrupt the shooting and the distribution of the film.

Rodriguez relinquished his membership to the guild, created Troublemaker Studios, and shot the entire thing himself on digital video, in his studio.

So keep in mind this film is ALL VIDEO, and shot for probably 1/10 of the price that Hollywood would have spent.

A look at things to come. Hear a loud sucking sound from the west coast.....?

wolf 04-06-2005 10:44 AM

I don't read press about movies ... which segment is Quentin Tarrantino the "guest director" for?

Oh, and I ordered Graphic Novels 1-4 from Amazon last night.

jaguar 04-06-2005 12:34 PM

Trailers have had me drooling for ages. For some fucked up reason they're not releasing it here till June so I'll end up watching a rip of the DVD first. And they wonder why piracy is going up....

wolf 04-06-2005 12:42 PM

It's only what, a six hour flight? Come on over, in case we can actually get a bunch of people together to see it ...

Beestie 04-06-2005 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirocco
Rodriguez ... shot the entire thing himself on digital video, in his studio.

And each frame was edited by hand (digitally but by a person).

Nightsong 04-06-2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
With the glaring exception of Brittany Murphy, and to a lesser extent Michael Madsen, the movie was awesome. Probably the best looking film I've seen, and an engrossing story from start to finish. Mickey Rourke was excellent, and Bruce Willis and Clive Owen were good.

Hopefully this will convice Hollywood that they don't need to Hollywoodize a story when making a movie.

Yeah, right. But I can always hope.

All the actors did very well. That said the reason I quote HM is because A) Brittany Murphy can barely be considered an actor. BUT at least she was poperly cast. The table to table meat at a dance club. As my wife but it" She plays a slut, isn't that type casting?" Dont get me wrong. I dont dis like her but she just doesnt appeal to me.
I LOVED this movie. I also applaud the director for telling the union what they can do with them self. These same kinda whoremongers are the ones that would not allow Prince Hussien of Jordan a speaking cameo on st:voyager since he was a forgien national.

THe move was made for like a quarter of the modern movie cost and nearly recovered its costs in the first weekend.

Beestie 04-06-2005 01:27 PM

The Passion of the Christ, Sin City... is this a trend? No, not that kind of trend :-) but towards producers and directors doing their own thing with their own money leaving the studios out in the cold.

Gotta wonder what the studios are thinking about this.