The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Books You're Ignoring (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19505)

Trilby 02-10-2009 04:31 PM

Books You're Ignoring

Anything by ANY Russian and/or Polish (that's you, Joseph Conrad) author.

ANY Sci-Fi of ANY stripe.

Jane Austen (Emma can really just go ---- herself)

Tiki 02-10-2009 04:48 PM

Oh god.

I am a compulsive book purchaser, and as a result I have somewhere between 50 and 70 books on/near my bedside tables, all of which got there because I was "about to" read them.

lumberjim 02-10-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 532958)
ANY Sci-Fi of ANY stripe.

If you don't read Ender's Game, we can't be friends anymore.

Trilby 02-10-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 532974)

well, shoot. OK.. I'll read it. It better not suck.

Shawnee123 02-10-2009 06:14 PM

I've managed to avoid anything to do with little kids running around in otherworlds.

Twilight, or any of its derivatives, ignored.

I've been bad about reading lately, though, and have 4 books waiting...

This darn internet.

lumberjim 02-10-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 532987)

jinx even liked it. and she HATES sci fi

Griff 02-10-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 532990)
I've managed to avoid anything to do with little kids running around in otherworlds.

Get a copy of Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
Actually it isn't kids...

I'm sure there is something I'm ignoring... must be doing a good job.

Beestie 02-10-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 532974)

I just finished it a few weeks ago. OK, I'm a little behind on my reading.

I highly recommend it.

I also found a very short Ender series book and read it last year - it was spectacularly good. Oh - A War Of Gifts.

The guy just knows how to write.

Clodfobble 02-10-2009 06:51 PM

I have a Julian May book called "Perseus Spur" that I started back before the baby was born and haven't touched since. At this point, I'm intentionally ignoring it until I forget the last few details I can remember, and then I can just start at the beginning again.

glatt 02-10-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 532992)
jinx even liked it. and she HATES sci fi

my wife was the same way with Ender's Game.

That book is fantastic.

lumberjim 02-10-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 532995)
Get a copy of Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
Actually it isn't kids...

excellent book....and he narrates it himself on audio book. (he won audible.com's award for best author/narrator) also liked American Gods and Anansi Boys by him

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie (Post 532998)

I also found a very short Ender series book and read it last year - it was spectacularly good. Oh - A War Of Gifts.

The guy just knows how to write.

yep...quick but good. I'll read anything by Orson Scott Card

SteveDallas 02-10-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 532958)
Emma can really just go ---- herself

Yeah, I have some videos of that if you want to see. (Or, I dunno, maybe she was using a stage name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 532987)

There's a paperback edition floating around that has a preface by Card. I recommend you try to get hold of it if you can--or maybe the preface is posted somewhere separately.

Most of Card's other stuff that I've read I considered boring, creepy, or both.

What books am I ignoring? I'll have to think about. (For me "ignoring" goes beyond "they're lying around and I'm not reading them." It has to be something I'm willfully not reading that I feel I ought to.)

Chocolatl 02-10-2009 08:32 PM

I have willfully ignored Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for about the past ten years. Many people have told me that I MUST read the series because I will LOVE the books. The minute someone tells me I MUST read a book, listen to a song, or watch a movie, it's pretty much guaranteed I will have nothing to do with it for at least a year.

Aliantha 02-10-2009 08:33 PM

Just be kind to the mice in the mean time. ;)

Juniper 02-10-2009 09:17 PM

I have a certain book that I WISH I could ignore.

Unfortunately, we're having a test on it next week.

Probably the only books that I refuse to read, without even considering them, are those fluffy series romances. Not that I don't enjoy a good romance novel, but those are almost always so poorly written I just cringe.

Clodfobble 02-10-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolatl
I have willfully ignored Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for about the past ten years. Many people have told me that I MUST read the series because I will LOVE the books. The minute someone tells me I MUST read a book, listen to a song, or watch a movie, it's pretty much guaranteed I will have nothing to do with it for at least a year.

Ah yes, this is exactly like my relationship with the book Dune. I openly refuse to read it at this point.

For what it's worth, I don't think you should read HGTTG. I firmly believe it's one of those books you have to read when you're a teenager, or the window of appreciation is gone forever.

Aliantha 02-10-2009 10:18 PM

I read Dune years ago (when I was a teenager). I don't think I could do it again...and that perfume Dune just ruined the whole concept of the word for me.

It's terrible. (sorry to those who like it, but it gives me a headache)

lumberjim 02-10-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 533039)

Most of Card's other stuff that I've read I considered boring, creepy, or both.

blasphemer!

infidel!

cock!

monster 02-10-2009 10:24 PM

Far too many to mention... I have a whiole stack out of the library that i just keep renewing. Literary fiction mostly, the stuff i should read, but paperback mass-market crap is so much easier.... I've been ignoring Ovenman by Jeff Parker for over a year, and now I'm finally reading it. it's good. a little weird, but good. I'm also ignoring The Weight of Nothing by Steve gillis. it's excellent, but hard work and so i just sort of stopped, a little over halfway through. I've had that out of the library for a couple of years now.

On the non-fiction front: Making a Michigan Will :o our guilty evil secret......

SteveDallas 02-10-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 533090)
blasphemer!

infidel!

cock!

Boring... creepy.. retreads...

DanaC 02-11-2009 10:09 AM

I've spent fifteen years, at least, studiously avoiding the Pilgrim's Progress, only to find it compulsory reading on my new history module.

Juniper 02-11-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 533089)
I read Dune years ago (when I was a teenager). I don't think I could do it again...and that perfume Dune just ruined the whole concept of the word for me.

It's terrible. (sorry to those who like it, but it gives me a headache)

Funny story. Kinda. :)

My SIL gave me that perfume as a gift at my bridal shower, which was also a bachelorette party. I was drunk and asked her if they made it out of giant worms. :greenface

She didn't see the humor.

Shawnee123 02-11-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 533300)

My SIL gave me that perfume as a gift at my bridal shower, which was also a bachelorette party. I was drunk and asked her if they made it out of giant worms. :greenface

lmao! giant worms...that is awesome!

Bullitt 02-11-2009 12:12 PM

I guess she didn't enjoy your spice Juniper.

I've been successfully avoiding "pop" books such as The Da Vinci Code, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Harry Potter. I don't care how "riveting" or "adventurous" or "suspenseful" you think the story is, I refuse to subject my mind to such pointless drivel that the majority population, whom I pessimistically view as idiots on a whole in literary fields, feed upon and discuss endlessly as if these books were the greatest things ever put on wood pulp. You want a good read that's actually relevant? Pick up Common Sense by Thomas Paine and just about anything by Thomas Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, and Winston Churchill.

wolf 02-11-2009 01:06 PM

I wish that I had ignored the Twilight series.

I have successfully ignored Gone with the Wind and any number of romance novels.

I have ignored the Wheel of Time series.

I tend to ignore the sorts of books that New York Times reviewers gush over.

I have ignored anything written by Salman Rushdie.

I have ignored most of what Oprah thinks people should read. I have made a few exceptions to this, and have regretted most of them. (Checking her list, I have read three, and have regretted two. Of the one I did not regret, I didn't know it was an Oprah Book at the time that I read it, actually possibly it had not been selected at that time.)

DanaC 02-11-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

I have ignored the Wheel of Time series.
*nods* yes, yes. This is one I have avoided for quite some time.

Quote:

I have ignored anything written by Salman Rushdie.
*nods again* and yes, again. My ex not-quite-father-in-law is a big Rushdie fan. I tried one. Can't recall the name. I just couldn't bond with the book in any way.

glatt 02-11-2009 01:24 PM

So far, I'm ignoring Anathem. Been sitting on the floor by my side of the bed since Christmas. Reading it seems like a daunting prospect.

wolf 02-11-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 533358)
So far, I'm ignoring Anathem. Been sitting on the floor by my side of the bed since Christmas. Reading it seems like a daunting prospect.

Daunting, but having passed through this particular gauntlet, I believe it is worth it. Perhaps I was lucky in have an e-book, as I never experienced how much the book weighed. I am slowly making my way through The Baroque Cycle, and realize I should probably reread Cryptonomicon.

I'm just digging how Stephenson can still be writing cyberpunk when he's setting his books in the 17th Century. YMMV, but I think it's totally fucking COOL.

wolf 02-11-2009 01:31 PM

A way to keep track of what you're ignoring.

If anyone would like to be my friend, pm me and we can swap account information.

dar512 02-11-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt (Post 533314)
I've been successfully avoiding "pop" books such as The Da Vinci Code, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Harry Potter.

I'd hardly lump the Narnia Series in with pop books. The original publication date for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was 1950. I'd also add that it is a well-crafted allegory of Christ's sacrifice.

I have a fondness for fantasy of this sort and reread the series from time to time. I can understand that you may not like it for its Christian message or you may not like it because it is essentially a children's book. But I wouldn't call it 'pop'.

Writing this post reminded me that I haven't read "The World of Pooh" since my kids were little.

Bullitt 02-11-2009 05:29 PM

Oh no I know it's been around awhile, I'm more back lashing against its resurgence amongst evangelical Christian circles like it's the best Christian-themed fiction written along with the Left Behind series. I go to an evangelical Christian university so I never hear the end of it.

freshnesschronic 02-11-2009 05:32 PM

I am not ever going to touch the Twilight series. College chicks dig it though, dunno why.

Bullitt 02-11-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 533440)
I am not ever going to touch the Twilight series. College chicks dig it though, dunno why.

Yeah I don't get that, I had never even heard of the series and then all of the sudden 3/4's of the girls at my school are way into it.

lumberjim 02-11-2009 05:49 PM

i'm re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire Series By George R R Martin

i have maybe 250 audio books at this point, and this is BY FAR the best series.

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m.../b/spb0228.jpg
Roy Dotrice is fantastic as a narrator.....but he only did the 1st 3. John Lee is OK, but....

Aliantha 02-11-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 533300)

To me it smells like it's made out of giant worm shit!

I'm sure some people must like it though. You can still buy it.

Cloud 02-11-2009 07:29 PM

the Twilight books

dar512 02-12-2009 09:20 AM

I'm not sure why everyone is dissing the Twilight books. I read them when the darlets were reading them. (before all the hoopla) They're light reading, but reasonably entertaining.

What? Everyone else is reading War and Peace?

dar512 02-12-2009 09:22 AM

By the bye, of the Ender books I've read, I like Speaker for the Dead the best.

dar512 02-12-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt (Post 533439)
Oh no I know it's been around awhile, I'm more back lashing against its resurgence amongst evangelical Christian circles like it's the best Christian-themed fiction written along with the Left Behind series. I go to an evangelical Christian university so I never hear the end of it.

Ah. I understand. I can't listen to most Eagles tunes anymore.

SteveDallas 02-12-2009 09:32 AM

I am ignoring Learning SQL by Alan Beaulieu. I should read it. Instead I'm going to ignore it and start looking up pieces of code when I need something I don't already know.

Trilby 02-12-2009 09:40 AM

I am ignoring Learning ASL (American Sign Language) because...well, I don't know why. I just am resisting.

Trilby 02-12-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 533639)

Not if it's by a Russian or a Pole I'm not.

SteveDallas 02-12-2009 09:59 AM

Ah! You mean War and Peace by Leeo Tollstö˙, the well-known Dutch author.[/Monty Python]

Tiki 02-12-2009 10:53 AM

I just ended my ignoring streak, finished "Little Bee" last night and started "Up for Renewal". I still need to finish "The Great Mortality", "Stiff", and "Beowulf".

Cicero 02-12-2009 11:43 AM

I am actively ignoring Carlos Castaneda's, "Art of Dreaming".

I was embarassed when I picked it up. Oddly....... I think it's kooky but maybe there is something to it....It's on iggy for now.

Beest 02-12-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 533086)
For what it's worth, I don't think you should read HGTTG. I firmly believe it's one of those books you have to read when you're a teenager, or the window of appreciation is gone forever.

I wonder if this is true of Enders Game, I read it in the last two years and didn't rate it very highly. The stuff with the brother and sister is interesting especially looking back at when it is was written, the Ender storyline was just OK.
I also put down Anansie Boys after about 20 pages.

I read The Satanic Verses to see what all the fuss was about, good book.

<For Dana, SG and maybe Limey in my head all I can hear is the Dad from Goodness gracious Me saying "Leo Tollstoy, Indian!">

jinx 02-12-2009 11:57 AM

You may be right Beest. I bought the series it for my son to read about a year ago, and reread it myself. I kept wondering if it was a watered-down version or something as it didn't seem nearly as good as I remembered.

Shawnee123 02-12-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 533639)
I'm not sure why everyone is dissing the Twilight books. I read them when the darlets were reading them. (before all the hoopla) They're light reading, but reasonably entertaining.

No, but I'm thinking of rereading Crime and Punishment. It's a great book.

:)

Any reading is good. I was the girl who never got into Wrinkles in Time, though highly recommended by friends.

Then again, I was highly entertained when reading The DaVinci Code.

I think for a lot of us it isn't so much the genre as it is the writing...so I might even take up some recommendations I've seen in this thread.

Cloud 02-12-2009 07:32 PM

any book that other people recommend to me

Kaliayev 02-14-2009 02:13 PM

I WAS ignoring Twilight, but after seeing the film, I decided they were too hilariously bad to leave alone any longer. I'm sure we used to hang people by the thumbs for writing this bad.

wolf 02-14-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 533443)
Roy Dotrice is fantastic as a narrator.

Now you're making me want to rewatch Space:1999!