The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What is art? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31651)

BigV 11-01-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1025274)
snip--

IDK

Now you do.

Gravdigr 11-02-2019 03:26 PM

No, I don't.

I now know what the pattern is called...

Gravdigr 11-17-2019 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is knot art.

Attachment 69074

Link, w/video

Griff 11-18-2019 06:06 AM

Is that a Maplethorpe?

xoxoxoBruce 11-18-2019 08:48 AM

I was amazed the way he glued the sections together using scotch tape. He'd obviously beveled the edges but never mentioned that.

Luce 11-18-2019 09:17 AM

What is art?

Something that does nothing but look pretty, and is somehow still worth money.

Like those Kardashian people.

Happy Monkey 11-18-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1041746)
I was amazed the way he glued the sections together using scotch tape. He'd obviously beveled the edges but never mentioned that.

Gorgeous. The edges were beveled from the start; that's why at 2:00 he used two chopsaws.

xoxoxoBruce 11-18-2019 03:41 PM

I thought it was because the angle had to be dead nuts and he had to do so many, but I sure you're right that's where he did it.

Undertoad 11-22-2019 11:59 PM

Science article: The World in Song - summarizes new findings about music.

Scientists find that, first, music is universal. It's used in every known human culture. Not only that, but, it's used in similar ways in different cultures. There are lullabies, love songs, healing songs, dance songs. Not only that, but all these types of songs have similar musical features. Some of which you'd figure (dance songs are faster) some you wouldn't (ritual healing songs are "less melodically variable" than dance songs).

Musics seem wildly different across cultures - across some remote cultures, you can barely identify it as music. But the approach they used (Bayesian analysis) was able to find relationships we can't easily find. So, science confirms it, music is deeply built into humanity - may even be something we evolved.

(now I'll quote from the article just for fun)
Quote:

Additionally, the authors found that the principle of tonality (building melodies from a small set of related notes, built upon a base tonic or "home" pitch) exists in all cultures. This suggests the existence of a universal cognitive bias to generate melodies based on categorical building blocks.
Not gonna lie, I understood the first sentence (and I'm proud) but not the second one.

xoxoxoBruce 11-23-2019 12:01 AM

Does it mean all toes tap?

Clodfobble 11-23-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
Not gonna lie, I understood the first sentence (and I'm proud) but not the second one.

Quote:

This suggests the existence of a universal cognitive bias to generate melodies based on categorical building blocks.
It just means humans instinctively prefer simple patterns. They went out of their way to use obtuse terminology because it makes them sound smarter. It's a stunningly common feature of (bad writing in) scientific papers--state the actual evidence, and then hit the reader over the head with what the evidence means in more general terms, except drag it out so it sounds like a brilliant conclusion rather than a derivative rehashing.

"Ketchup is available at 95% of American restaurants. This suggests people like ketchup. The widespread presence of tomato-based reductions demonstrates the successful incorporation of colonial agronomy techniques with modern ludic promotional functionality."