The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hilarious names (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8711)

melidasaur 07-12-2005 05:55 PM

Hilarious names

Some people have such funny names... I know it's not their fault, its more of what were there parents thinking or a well-I-guess-it-would-be-okay-in their-country. Share some of these names - they have to be real people you've actually met or seen. No friends of a friend of a friend.

My two submissions - which really have a lot of 3rd grade playground toilet humor:

Gangli Wang
Willie Dong

lookout123 07-12-2005 06:00 PM

well, i really did go to school with:
-James Bond
-Raquel Welch
-Conan Doyle
-Sherman Tank

i really have met:
-Richard Head
-Richard Long
-Guy White (who was obviously black)

Radar 07-12-2005 06:10 PM

I know the following people:

Phuc Vu (pronounced Fuck You)
Long Dong
and Bob Neal.

lumberjim 07-12-2005 08:07 PM

Tom Smelstoys

Mr Nusspickle ( first name really doesnt matter, ddoes it?)

Bruce 9012 07-12-2005 09:21 PM

Terry Cloth
Knock& ping (twins)
no kidding !

Scopulus Argentarius 07-12-2005 09:23 PM

Merry Christmas
(No kidding)

melidasaur 07-12-2005 09:52 PM

Sunshine Cupp

lookout123 07-12-2005 10:23 PM

i also had a customer in the car biz = Richard Wadd. the general rule should be that only a very few last names can safely be tied with Richard.

Radar 07-12-2005 10:28 PM

Oh, I nearly forgot. I knew a girl named Brandy Wine.

Elspode 07-12-2005 11:10 PM

My mother attended high school with the brothers Pullen. Peter and Dick Pullen, to be exact. They were twins.

We also used to have a podiatrist listed in the KC phone book by the name of Dr. Charles Footlich (pronounce, presumably, footlick).

wolf 07-13-2005 01:26 AM

I went to high school with a guy named Karl Schmuck.

He's no longer listed on classmates.com, but he apparently changed his name at the earliest possible opportunity.

There was a kid in my elementary school named Parker Wiggins III. Young Master Wiggins was unfortunately plump. Double whammy. Poor guy. I occasionally wonder what happened to him.

We have a list of such names at work, and I was checking the secretary's computer tonight but couldn't find it. I hope that it's not lost ... it was our second most precious document, the first most precious being the "dead list" ... a catalog of dead patients, dates, and known cause of death. My favorite on that list is "4th victim of serial killer." Most of the others are pretty run of the mill ... OD, hanging, self-inflicted gunshot, etc.

staceyv 07-13-2005 01:29 AM

my best friend at age 6- Titi Lola Palmer

Griff 07-13-2005 06:08 AM

Eileen Wright

Queen of the Ryche 07-13-2005 08:54 AM

husband & wife: Hairy & Dimples Cheeks
Mary Moist, lives on Fantasy Lane in Palmdale. for reals.

Lady Sidhe 07-13-2005 09:00 AM

I went to summer camp once with a girl named Bunny. Really. Not a nickname. I can't remember her last name, but she'd been born on Easter, so her parents named her Bunny.

Lady Sidhe 07-13-2005 09:02 AM

There was a girl who worked for the same company I work for--I was going through the resumes when I saw her name and asked how it was pronounced. I was told that she was from Africa and that it was a traditional name.
The explanation of her name was actually pretty interesting.

Her name is spelled D'lle, and, believe it or not, is SILENT.

I wondered, if the name is silent, what's the point?
And then you have to wonder: when her mother called for her, what did she call out?

Trilby 07-13-2005 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Sidhe
... she'd been born on Easter, so her parents named her Bunny.

Awww! That is sooo cute! :apaw:

I've known a woman named Tequila Bender and a man with the unlikely name of Brilliance Royal. While Tequila more than lived up to her name, Brilliance, sadly, did not.

My sister used to work at Children's Hosp. of Phila. (CHOP) and she took care of a baby named Stevie Nicks Nagowski. This was in the early 80's.

Oh, and I've known a Rhiannon or two.

Lady Sidhe 07-13-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Awww! That is sooo cute! :apaw:

Yeah, but can you imagine say, a supreme court justice, or the president, being named BUNNY? I kinda felt sorry for her because people found it hard to take her seriously because of her name. I think they thought she was dingy...kinda like a Buffy-type.

As a nickname, it's cute. But as a given name, it's kinda mean.

This one isn't official, because I didn't know the people personally and so can't prove it, but a friend of mine had an artist friend whose last name was December. Aliasha (my friend, whose name I always thought was so pretty--it's traditional Scottish, and is pronounced Ah-lee-ah-shah) told me this woman named her kids October and November.

Trilby 07-13-2005 09:17 AM

Yeah, I've heard of-but can't vouch for-two kids supposedly known as Le'Monjello and Or'Angejello. It's an old hospital joke, not sure if it's true.

Lady Sidhe 07-13-2005 09:49 AM

Well, there IS that Jazz (?) singer, old, old, jazz singer--he may be dead now--but his name was Nosmo King.

Yup. From the sign... No Smoking.

Happy Monkey 07-13-2005 09:51 AM

Gaelic names can be odd. I knew someone named Siobhan - pronounced Shavahn.

Lady Sidhe 07-13-2005 10:00 AM

I like unusual names...but I draw the line at naming my child after a no smoking sign. Sorry.
My daughter's middle names are Illyrica and Winter. She was born in December, and we actually had snow that year, plus it's a pretty name. Illyrica was the name of an ancient Greek city; I saw it in a book and thought it sounded musical. She has a normal first name, though. I know how other kids can be.

I really like gaelic names, as you can see by my nick. A pagan friend of mine used to joke that I looked like an elf, so I took the name Sidhe (even though technically, a Sidhe is Fey), and it's pronounced "Shee."

Clodfobble 07-13-2005 11:05 AM

My drama teacher as a kid was named Babs George.

Except "Babs" was a nickname--her real first name was "Bubetta."

wolf 07-13-2005 11:10 AM

I know brothers named Hunter and Forest (one R) Green. Their mother is Violet Green.

I can't quite place her in the box of 64.

mrnoodle 07-13-2005 11:21 AM

My brother-in-law had a teacher named Candy Cane (dunno if that was the spelling). I knew a Mercedes Benz.

Lady Sidhe 07-13-2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
My drama teacher as a kid was named Babs George.

Except "Babs" was a nickname--her real first name was "Bubetta."

ACK! Poor woman...

melidasaur 07-13-2005 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Sidhe
There was a girl who worked for the same company I work for--I was going through the resumes when I saw her name and asked how it was pronounced. I was told that she was from Africa and that it was a traditional name.
The explanation of her name was actually pretty interesting.

Her name is spelled D'lle, and, believe it or not, is SILENT.

I wondered, if the name is silent, what's the point?
And then you have to wonder: when her mother called for her, what did she call out?

So what did she go by?

Pie 07-13-2005 11:51 AM

I knew a Yoo Hoo. Cambodian?
My college roomate had a highschool teacher named Harry Dickie.

jinx 07-13-2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnoodle
My brother-in-law had a teacher named Candy Cane (dunno if that was the spelling).

I knew a RE agent named Candy Kane. Prudential.

Brett's Honey 07-13-2005 07:10 PM

In Oklahoma these names aren't really unusual since there are a lot of Indians here, but there are last names such as "Runs Like A Bear"....I know of a few others but I'm blank right now.......dammit now I'll think about it until I end up flipping through the phone book.......

Queen of the Ryche 07-13-2005 08:17 PM

one of my closest friends kids are Hunter, Gunnar, and Sage (a common CA desert plant). Yes, they re supporters of the 2nd amendment.

dar512 07-13-2005 08:34 PM

I worked with a guy a while ago who, after "Dances with Wolves" came out, his wife started calling him "Reclines with Remote".

As long as I'm reminiscing - there was another guy at the same place who was short, stocky, and had a dour disposition. He, of course, was known as Grumpy.

capnhowdy 07-13-2005 09:22 PM

Old friend: Gary Smelley
Business aquaintance: Dick Knots

Lady Sidhe 07-13-2005 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melidasaur
So what did she go by?

Her last name. At least that's what everyone at work called her. I can't remember her last name, though.

Undertoad 07-13-2005 09:31 PM

Katkeeper once bought a car from Dusty Rhoades.

xoxoxoBruce 07-13-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
I went to high school with a guy named Karl Schmuck.

My folks played cards with John and Harriet Schmuck most every Saturday night. :thumb:

Don't leave out the famous Dick Trickle.
Giving your kid more names than fits in a standard form is mean.

Silly 07-13-2005 10:07 PM

I went to school with a Harry Bush and I worked with a Jane who married Dick Organ.. Not Richard.. but Dick. And they of course have a large collection of Dick and Jane memorabilia.

xoxoxoBruce 07-13-2005 10:14 PM

That's better than a large organ collection. ;)

wolf 07-14-2005 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad

The pro wrestler?

Griff 07-14-2005 06:05 AM

Nah, the guy from ZZ Topp.

capnhowdy 07-14-2005 06:23 AM

There is also a tilesetter in my town(male) named Patty Williams.
I'd kill my parents.

wolf 07-14-2005 10:53 AM

I don't get why it's funny. Other than being an adult who keeps a childhood nickname.

Articrono 07-14-2005 11:11 AM

My friend works data entry, and he comes across alot of names. Some of them he's given to me:

Steven Manly Smith
Elizabeth Goodbody
Anne Marie Surprise
Aneda Dollar
Thorn Bun Lay
Donald Madewell
James Manlove
Jeffrey D Funkhouser
Larry Leatherwood
Tyrone Stammers
Pat Nutt
Herbert C Bumgarner
Crystal Bonga
Marie Fast
Jerome A Flake
Linda Lovely

BigV 07-14-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad

I know Dusty Rhodes. Went to school with him. Have broken bread and countless beers with him. Not the ZZ Top guy.

Queen of the Ryche 07-14-2005 12:24 PM

the wrestler?

lookout123 07-14-2005 01:40 PM

Homer and Marge were my wife's grandparents. unfortunately they weren't simpsons.

Queen of the Ryche 07-14-2005 01:47 PM

How could I forget a friends parents, Richard and Bonnie Jean. They had personalized license plates, "DAD DICK" and "MOM BJ". The kids had them get them changed real quick-like.

Clodfobble 07-14-2005 05:21 PM

I was just reminded of a girl I knew in college... Honey Goodenough. It was pronounced just as if it were two words.

Guyute 07-14-2005 08:30 PM

From Grade 8 to Grade 12 (toughest 9 years of my life, har har), I had two classmates:

Michael Jackson, and
Tina Turner.

They were both white.

In my fraternity was an alumnus named Peter Parker.

footfootfoot 07-14-2005 08:36 PM

Working as a clerk in a photo lab, a customer came in and dropped off film.
"glossy or matt?"
"Name?"

Sara Grewcock.

I lost it. She was pissed, but seemed that I wasn't the first.

At another job w/ a mail order co. we kept a list of fun names, two I remember were Dutch Fluck and Linda Lustgarden.

I knew a Funkhouser

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2005 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Articrono
My friend works data entry, and he comes across alot of names. Some of them he's given to me:
~~snip~~

A guy from my High School class was working on a computer system for a hospital while a student at MIT. He made up a couple hundred normal sounding names to debug the software.
When they implemented it he couldn't believe the names of the real patients that went into it. Half of them sounded nonsensical. :)

Clodfobble 07-14-2005 10:13 PM

Damn, footfootfoot, you've reminded me of another.

An old coworker of mine was named Brandon Adcock. Which wasn't SO bad--except our work emails followed the standard pattern of first-initial-last-name, which made his email badcock.

He was a really shy, nice guy too. I always felt bad typing it.

melidasaur 07-14-2005 10:38 PM

Quote:

An old coworker of mine was named Brandon Adcock. Which wasn't SO bad--except our work emails followed the standard pattern of first-initial-last-name, which made his email badcock.

I got into the habit of calling some people by their email aliases... so I may have called Brandon badcock... but only if I knew he could take it. If he was nice, I probably wouldn't. I was lucky because my email alias was my first name.

footfootfoot 07-14-2005 10:56 PM

Badcock!

NO Biscuit!

A tangent: I had a bunch of bumper stickers that said "bad cop, no donut" I was not reckless enough to use them, but gave tehm to friends who were cops and they loved them.

The whole BAD XXXXX, NO biscuit thing has been stuck in my head for a while.

dar512 07-15-2005 12:11 AM

Reminds me of another one. I went to school with Renee Gorges (pronounced 'gorgeous'). She was too.

BrianR 07-15-2005 08:14 AM

I used to do medical research and phoning.

I once ran across a Dr Nutt. Occupation? Psychiatrist.

On a related note, I also once called a psychiatrist, normal name but had the most INTERESTING answering machine message...

It was his voice, calm and relaxed. He described a beautiful beach, blue ocean, calm breeze, with ocean sounds playing in the background. Then he said that he was on vacation and would return next week. From Aruba. I had to share that one with the other slaves. We all took turns calling that whenever we felt stressed.

I, of course, had to leave a message thanking him for the calming message and told him that I called whenever I felt too stressed out. This with the noisy background and the usual office hustle and bustle so he could hear THAT. Sometimes I'm ashamed of myself.

Brian

dar512 07-15-2005 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR
I used to do medical research and phoning.

I once ran across a Dr Nutt. Occupation? Psychiatrist.

So his clients, by definition, were Nutt-cases. Right?

glatt 07-15-2005 11:02 AM

I just had a thought. Do people with funny names get bummed out when they do Google vanity searches and see threads like this in the results?

Lady Sidhe 07-15-2005 12:11 PM

I went to a parochial school once, and our principal's name was Michael Jackson. He was white, too...incidentally, he hated MJ, and even suspended a couple of kids who talked about him (this was in 7th grade, when MJ was kinda popular). He went by Mike Jackson....

BigV 07-15-2005 12:35 PM

Quote:

That's a common naming convention, one I've used over the years. Deviation from the convention makes it less consistent and therefore less useful, however, once I made the executive decision to include the middle initial in Pamela Hart's email address.