The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Avatars? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5357)

Troubleshooter 03-19-2004 10:12 AM

Someone mention in "What I like best about the Cellar" the idea of Avatars.

How hard would that be to implement?

Cam 03-19-2004 10:14 AM

I don't think it's the difficulty that keeps UT from implementing it, it's that they get rather annoying. I personally like the lack of avatars, keeps the eyes on the writing not the little flapping bird on the left.

elSicomoro 03-19-2004 10:16 AM

I used to not like avatars, but being on a board that uses them (as well as using them on my own board), I find that if they're kept small and aren't animated, they're cool to have.

Undertoad 03-19-2004 10:30 AM

Implementing them = selecting one radio button

I strongly feel that they suck ass.

- They take attention away from the text - the important part of a forum and especially this one

- They discourage newbies and lurkers from posting, and when such people post their posts are taken less seriously

- They encourage a more closed cliquey nature to the community

- If any single avatar is crap, the entire board is crappier by nature

- They cause up to an additional 100k of image loading per page and up to an additional 1 meg of bandwidth required per reader (not user) per day (including search engine spidering)

- They make you hate some people on the basis of something other than what they say; granted, that's our general tendency as humans, but still, let's not encourage it

Troubleshooter 03-19-2004 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
Implementing them = selecting one radio button

- They take attention away from the text - the important part of a forum and especially this one

- They discourage newbies and lurkers from posting, and when such people post their posts are taken less seriously

- They encourage a more closed cliquey nature to the community

- If any single avatar is crap, the entire board is crappier by nature

- They cause up to an additional 100k of image loading per page and up to an additional 1 meg of bandwidth required per reader (not user) per day (including search engine spidering)

- They make you hate some people on the basis of something other than what they say; granted, that's our general tendency as humans, but still, let's not encourage it

So what are you trying to say? :)

While I don't disagree with the possibilites of most of your points, I know how much of an issue bandwidth is.

Griff 03-19-2004 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad

Agreed. One thing I like about the cellar is that the newbies come in and are judged on content.

Troubleshooter 03-19-2004 10:44 AM

So y'all are saying that you don't trust the judgement of the Cellarites enough to expect them to get past a lacking or a suck-ass avatar to get to the true poster within?

elSicomoro 03-19-2004 10:53 AM

Given this bunch of people, no.

Troubleshooter 03-19-2004 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
Given this bunch of people, no.
No you don't trust their judgement?

or

No you're not saying that?

hot_pastrami 03-19-2004 12:54 PM

Avatars are too often distracting, obnoxious, and wince-inducing. And like UT said, they change perceptions... an avatar tends to promote preconceived notions about the intelligence level and personality of it's owner, often to negative effect.

For instance, imagine if the Cellar did start supporting avatars, and some of the people you've considered to be intelligent, well-rounded, and witty put up Pokemon avatars. Could you ever respect them again?

Telefunken 03-19-2004 12:58 PM

The lack of avatars is what makes this board so refreshing. I think I told the story of being on another superficial board where there was a competition of who had the coolest avatar. Like other elements of that community, it promoted a "high school lunchroom" enviroment.

elSicomoro 03-19-2004 01:05 PM

You're not referring to the other board we post to, are you?

elSicomoro 03-19-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Troubleshooter
No you don't trust their judgement?

or

No you're not saying that?

I was being a shithead. I think most people here could look past a crappy avatar.

Having said that, the only rationale I agree with for not having them is the bandwidth issue. Fair enough, since we don't pay for it.

Undertoad 03-19-2004 01:32 PM

The bandwidth on my side is one thing, the bandwidth on modem users' side is another thing!

Torrere 03-19-2004 03:22 PM

I really, really don't like avatars -- but at least they aren't as bad as banner-sized images in people's signatures.

Slartibartfast 03-19-2004 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
_

xoxoxoBruce 03-19-2004 05:33 PM

Well, we could restrict the use of avatars to the people that contribute $1million or more to UT's retirement fund.;)

SteveDallas 03-19-2004 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hot_pastrami
For instance, imagine if the Cellar did start supporting avatars, and some of the people you've considered to be intelligent, well-rounded, and witty put up Pokemon avatars. Could you ever respect them again?
"I don't have low self-esteem . . . I have low esteem for everyone else."
--Daria Morgendorffer

Telefunken 03-19-2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

You're not referring to the other board we post to, are you?
No. The mythical SJ that people there refer to. I will PM the URL and you can troll the crap out of them.

zippyt 03-19-2004 07:21 PM

The bandwidth on my side is one thing, the bandwidth on modem users' side is another thing!

Avatars , Schmavatars , we don't meed no stinking Avatars !!!!

elSicomoro 03-19-2004 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Telefunken
No. The mythical SJ that people there refer to. I will PM the URL and you can troll the crap out of them.
Hey, while we're at it...I know what FC is, and now I know what SJ is. Isn't there another one that the LD folks refer to? Something red?

Telefunken 03-19-2004 07:32 PM

Quote:

Hey, while we're at it...I know what FC is, and now I know what SJ is. Isn't there another one that the LD folks refer to? Something red?

Red Board = FC

Slartibartfast 03-19-2004 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Well, we could restrict the use of avatars to the people that contribute $1million or more to UT's retirement fund.;)
Sounds good to me, but for $1,000,000 he's going to also have to allow banner sigs :)

Troubleshooter 03-19-2004 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
For a million dollars I better get a little more than an avatar and permission to have a sig pic. :eek:

Slartibartfast 03-19-2004 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Troubleshooter

For a million dollars I better get a little more than an avatar and permission to have a sig pic. :eek:

That's right, what am I thinking! He's also going to have to toss in a free Cellar T-shirt. Need to get your money's worth.

xoxoxoBruce 03-19-2004 08:44 PM

How about a garage full of slightly used electronic gizmos?:)

lumberjim 03-19-2004 08:46 PM

Quote:

The mythical SJ that people there refer to. I will PM the URL
Quote:

Hey, while we're at it...I know what FC is, and now I know what SJ is. Isn't there another one that the LD folks refer to?
Quote:

Red Board = FC
WTF?

Telefunken 03-19-2004 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim

WTF?

Here, Jim, look at this if you dare:

http://bbs.fuckedcompany.com

Afterwards you'll appreciate The Cellar even more.

lumberjim 03-19-2004 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ugly board.

i was commenting on you two speaking in code, that's all. I DID find one interseting thing there:

elSicomoro 03-19-2004 11:14 PM

Quote:

WTF?
MYOB :)

Elspode 03-19-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

I DID find one interseting thing there:
Looks like a maniacal snake playing Yahtzee.

wolf 03-20-2004 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Telefunken

Here, Jim, look at this if you dare:

http://bbs.fuckedcompany.com

Afterwards you'll appreciate The Cellar even more.

I found the discussion regarding sex on the holodeck to be quite interesting.

ladysycamore 03-22-2004 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hot_pastrami
Avatars are too often distracting, obnoxious, and wince-inducing. And like UT said, they change perceptions... an avatar tends to promote preconceived notions about the intelligence level and personality of it's owner, often to negative effect.

Seriously??? Avatars are *that* influential? *shakes head* I've always found avatars to be funny, quite honestly, because most of them are really "tongue-in-cheek". Actually, I would find it refreshing to see a funny avatar from someone that I had found to be too serious and think, "Wow, I didn't know that they liked that!", and hold them in higher regard.

Not that an avatar should alter perceptions either way...they're just pictures.

xoxoxoBruce 03-22-2004 09:22 PM

Quote:

Actually, I would find it refreshing to see a funny avatar from someone that I had found to be too serious and think, "Wow, I didn't know that they liked that!", and hold them in higher regard.
Quote:

Not that an avatar should alter perceptions either way...they're just pictures.
Uh,...choose one.:confused:

elSicomoro 03-22-2004 09:23 PM

Reread it, dummy. :)

xoxoxoBruce 03-22-2004 09:39 PM

I did,...several times.:p

elSicomoro 03-22-2004 09:52 PM

I see what you mean, Bruce...my apologies. I understood it one way at first, but she's actually contradicting herself.

mrnoodle 03-25-2004 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a lovely self portrait. when can i make it my avatar?

lumberjim 03-25-2004 04:56 PM

get a haircut, hippie

ladysycamore 03-26-2004 10:02 AM

Quote:

I see what you mean, Bruce...my apologies. I understood it one way at first, but she's actually contradicting herself.
I supposed I did, but I didn't *quite* mean it as to say that I would completely judge a person by a mere graphic, but perhaps see them in a slightly different light...

oh fuck it. I don't know how else to explain it...:mad:

Beestie 03-26-2004 10:18 AM

Avatars are fun for about three days then they become (and remain) goofy and annoying, imho.

Troubleshooter 03-26-2004 10:25 AM

A thought just occured to me and I don't want to waste it...

Avatars are clearly out, but what about an image on the profile page?

Happy Monkey 03-26-2004 10:28 AM

That could be interesting.

Troubleshooter 03-26-2004 10:32 AM

It solves both the bandwidth issue as well as the fear of prejudice and predisposition issue.

Beestie 03-26-2004 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ladysycamore
oh fuck it. I don't know how else to explain it...:mad:

God, if only I had a nickel every time I felt like that.

mrnoodle 03-26-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

get a haircut, hippie
I did, in fact about 3 hours after that pic.

ThreadHijackMan 03-26-2004 02:59 PM

So..............................

xoxoxoBruce 03-27-2004 02:10 PM

So, avatars won't make the Cellar better, just tackier.:blunt:

jaguar 03-28-2004 12:38 PM

I'm with bruce