The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What show are you buzzing on at the moment? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29049)

DanaC 05-27-2013 04:38 AM

What show are you buzzing on at the moment?

At any one time I may be into several shows, but there's usually one that gets right under my skin. Sometimes it's a deep hourly episode drama, other times a light 20 minute comedy, but there's usually one show that I find edging my thoughts during the day, and can't wait to get back to come nighttime. This is especially true of shows with a back catalogue...

So, right now the show I'm really buzzing on is: Community.

Wow. What a stunning little sit-com. Clever and affectionate and witty. Everyone in it is awesome. Love it.

The first series was great. But I'm now a couple of eps into series 2 and it's even better. The format is just so open and free for them to play with almost any theme or story.

wanderer 05-27-2013 06:18 AM

"American Horror Story"....purchased it on Amazon couple of days back. Wanted some good creepy stuff and damn, I was in for treat.

Its sad that cinematography and direction are messed up for most of the 'horror' flicks these days. And don't get me even started on the production values. AHS does quite a decent job overcoming these fundamental flaws. Not extra-ordinarily special, but yes, extremely watchable and bang for buck.

Lamplighter 05-27-2013 08:37 AM

"Call the Midwife" on PBS is the best series I've been hooked on
in a very long time... even better than "The Onedin Line"

Perry Winkle 05-27-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderer (Post 866139)
Its sad that cinematography and direction are messed up for most of the 'horror' flicks these days.

(I think I managed to avoid spoilers, unless you haven't seen 30 year old movies and were just waiting for the right time.)

What about writing?

Watching Star Trek: Into Darkness sparked my wife and I on to rewatching Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home. The writing in those was so. much. better.

Dialogue was great. Emotional, witty and fun. Stories were lush, with some chains of causation paying off only after 3 movies (Kirk's journey from Admiral back to Captain, where we all know he belongs).

The new series is very enjoyable, but doesn't have the depth. Lots of echos to the original movies and that's about it. Into Darkness did pretty well echoing Khan at a pre-Khan canon-relative time.

To me, if the bulk of your foreshadowing pays off in 45 minutes you are cheating the story. Cheesy little back-references do not make a deep story.

I noticed similar issues with Fast & Furious 6, but the prior art in the franchise doesn't lead to high expectations. Full of "we repeated a line that was funny/meaningful in a previous movie, aren't we clever?" One instance of which was accompanied by a wink almost directly into the fourth wall. Which in itself can be fine, but either have the confidence to camp it up or don't.

wanderer 05-28-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

(I think I managed to avoid spoilers, unless you haven't seen 30 year old movies and were just waiting for the right time.)
You did avoid them. Cause primarily that was the stuff I was comparing these new entries against. I mean I can still go back to those Evil Dead movies and get a genuine creep show (and they recently did a re-make which is a pathetic gore fest. Period)

Quote:

What about writing?
Well I will say I missed out on raving about writing :D
Louder noises, costlier sets and expensive artists with a group of money holders don't need writing either. It doesn't sell anymore. No more quality, people.

And I even didn't try to watch to new Star-Trek. It might be watchable but I know it will end up ruining the value I had for the series. Naah, no more sci-fi with actual depth or story. More bang-bang there. (What a cynical being I am!)
Did Watch "Fast & Furious 6". And my only reaction was what!? Its mean to be entertaining with all that make-believe action. But come on, there is a limit! I better go back to that Chuck Norris stuff. At least it was hilarious enough.

DanaC 06-03-2013 07:29 PM

ha! Looking for Community clips (at 01:30 ....ffs...what is wrong with me??) and stumbled onto this fun little analysis of Community as a postmodern masterpiece :P

DanaC 06-04-2013 03:46 PM

Ohhhh man. Season 3 is totes amazeballs! Some of the best comedy I've seen in the last ten years.

Happy Monkey 06-04-2013 04:31 PM

Just this weekend, I finished watching it on Hulu. Big fan.

Undertoad 06-04-2013 06:09 PM

Norm Macdonald Live! Live Mondays on YouTube.

wanderer 06-05-2013 06:24 AM

Samurai Jack!
Got all four seasons from a friend. Beat that :D

DanaC 04-17-2015 12:43 PM

Right now, I am buzzing on waaaay too many shows.

Like, I had today off - no thesis revisions to do, no telesales, no nothin' - I can just veg out to the tv/stream and catch up on my current shows. It took me an hour just to decide what to watch. Too many awesome shows.

Trouble is, I end up totally obsessing over a show - especially if I find one with a big back catalogue ("no, you don't say, Dana. Really, we hadn't noticed"). So, I end up watching episodes back to back during whatever time I have available for tv at night - and all the other, current shows fall away for a bit.

Today I decided to come up for air, from my current tv obsession (Lost). But, like I say there are just too many shows: there's Person of Interest, Arrow, Elementary, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Banished, Last Week Tonight. I'm buzzing on all of them.

So, I went with Arrow. I kind of felt a little down on Arrow a few eps back - wasn't feeling the love for our ragtag little gang of masked crusaders. But, it's really kicked back into gear. I love the music and the fight scenes.

I'm glad Felicity is getting the chance to be brilliant, funny and geeky again - the weepy stuff was getting tired.

[eta] oh, yeah, and Walking Dead - I fell off it about 2 weeks from the end - really want to catch that up too.

But the island is calling to me...

Gravdigr 04-17-2015 04:24 PM

"Backstrom"

footfootfoot 04-17-2015 09:40 PM

Ya know what Dani? It's not just the three lagers talking, but I really love you. You are so funny with your enthusiasm for your shows. I just want to give you a big squeeze.

I definitely didn't do any Es...

Griff 04-18-2015 07:51 AM

Vikings

BigV 04-27-2015 01:05 PM

HunterXHunter now

just finished Kill la Kill.

Hunter has a bit of a build up, say, the first three or more episodes. Kill, on the other hand, "builds up" about as much as the travel needed for the trigger finger to get things off to a bang!

DanaC 04-27-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 926191)
Ya know what Dani? It's not just the three lagers talking, but I really love you. You are so funny with your enthusiasm for your shows. I just want to give you a big squeeze.

I definitely didn't do any Es...

Hehe. I missed this when you posted it.

Squeezes are good. E's are also, so I am told, good.

DanaC 04-27-2015 02:01 PM

I am six episodes from the end of Lost...

I'm already feeling that sense of imminent loss :P It's been a gloriously immersive experience - so much so that I am glad I didn't watch it at the time. It works very well as the kind of show to binge watch across a few weeks. I don't much care if the ending doesn't work so well - the 120 hours or so spent in the company of the crash survivors, the Dharma Initiative and the mysterious Others has been totally worth it.

Two best characters - Ben Linus and John Locke. Hands down. Awesome performances by both actors.

Gravdigr 04-27-2015 02:37 PM

I also liked Locke.

Gravdigr 04-29-2015 03:16 AM

Watched the first episode of "Wayward Pines" the other afternoon.

Quirky.

It doesn't actually begin til next month sometime, but, you can watch the entire first episode on Hulu rfn.

For free.

Gravdigr 05-25-2015 04:28 PM

"Californication"

Just finished season 1, and, I have to say, it's a lot better than I thought it would be. It's hard to binge watch around home though. Momdigr always seem to walk in on the dirtiest scene, or the foulest language. "Californication" is not a show to watch with Mom. Not for a guy, anyway.

It actually is pretty good. The dialog is very entertaining, and surprisingly intelligent, given the plethora of not safe for anywhere language. The first time I've heard the term 'vajanus' in a loooong time.

DanaC 05-25-2015 04:53 PM

I really liked that when it first came out. Dropped off it after the channel that was running it here didn't pick up the new season - I think that was the second season- and never went back to it when they did get it back.

I keep thinking I should revisit. Duchovny was excellent.

Griff 05-25-2015 06:28 PM

Just watched the first episode of Daredevil (Netflix). Very pleased.

wolf 06-11-2015 08:06 PM

Daredevil. Love me some cute superheroes.
The Moon Embracing the Sun. Korean Soap Opera. Amazing.
Residue. Two Game of Thrones actors that didn't share a scene in a sci-fi/supernatural mystery.
Hemlock Grove. Paranormal, bit at least the vampires don't sparkle. Author must have learned werewolf lore the same place I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Clodfobble 06-11-2015 09:12 PM

I wanted to like Daredevil, but I just couldn't get into it. Hemlock Grove has been on the backburner list for awhile though, might give that one a shot.

P.S. - Howdy, wolf! Nice to see you around again...

Griff 06-12-2015 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 930848)
Daredevil. Love me some cute superheroes.
The Moon Embracing the Sun. Korean Soap Opera. Amazing.
Residue. Two Game of Thrones actors that didn't share a scene in a sci-fi/supernatural mystery.
Hemlock Grove. Paranormal, bit at least the vampires don't sparkle. Author must have learned werewolf lore the same place I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Residue noted. Hi Wolf!

fargon 06-12-2015 07:22 AM

Hi Wolf

DanaC 06-12-2015 08:12 AM

OMG it's the Wolf!

Hi Wolf :)

Gravdigr 06-12-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

You sending the Wolf? Sheeit, negro, that's all you had to say!
~Jules Pitt

Hiya, Wolf.

BigV 06-12-2015 01:24 PM

well played!

Hiya wolf!

Don't give up on the phone, we love hearing from you. :)

DanaC 06-12-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 930902)

You sending the Wolf? Sheeit, negro, that's all you had to say!

Best movie of all time.

DanaC 08-10-2015 01:24 PM

I've been geeking out on Comic-Con panels (and Paleyfest and various roundtable discussions etc) lately, and I'm really liking the Arrow panels, Stephen Amell's Q&A sessions in particular (once I start watching show panels I tend to go back and see each year's panel in sequence). So - it's prompted me to rewatch Arrow. I'm 3 eps into the rewatch - really enjoying it. I saw the pilot a couple of times, but the other episodes I've generally only seen the once. I'm still blown away by those early fight sequences. And the acting is better than I remember - I wasn't keen on Det. Lance first time around - there was something about his performance that seemed off-kilter to me. I thought he sounded like he was slightly over-egging the New York cop voice. Knowing he's actually English puts a different slant on it - I had assumed he was American. It's a pretty impressive accent in that case, even in the pilot. I also think that might be what was causing a slight sense of disconnect - like maybe the actor was having to be too conscious of how he was speaking rather than completely focusing on the emotional content of the scene. Either way he bedded down faster than I remember him doing.

Thea is still a work in progress. The lass does well enough and I feel a certain affection for her character - but the clenched jaw school of acting is a little annoying.

Some of the dialogue in the first few eps is a tad clunky. But it has a certain charm to it. Feels very comicbook - they've really got that sensibility across.

it 08-11-2015 05:40 AM

I am currently into Fringe - over the last couple of weeks or so I've binge watched most of it, currently in the last season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 867054)
ha! Looking for Community clips (at 01:30 ....ffs...what is wrong with me??) and stumbled onto this fun little analysis of Community as a postmodern masterpiece :P

PBS idea channel is probably one of the best channels on youtube - Welcome to the fold. It's also one of the very few areas where the comment section is actually high quality - I don't mean that sarcastically "relatively to youtube" - but actually high quality posts. Even the the occasional discussion derails and flamewars come with awesome thoughts and research references.

it 08-14-2015 09:09 PM

Just finished with Fringe... Beyond been a generally awesome show - for it's story archs and setting and characters and a dozen other things - I don't think I've ever watched a show where I related so intensely to so many of it's emotional elements on so many levels and the need for the very meanings found behind the characters personal narratives and journeys. It was intense.

I highly recommend it - takes some energy getting into but worth while.

DanaC 08-15-2015 03:14 AM

It's on my list of must-see shows - never got into it at the time, but have recently become slightly obsessed with JJ Abrams.

it 08-18-2015 07:30 AM

Extant.

That show is excellent, so... DON'T YOU FREAKING WATCH IT. the amount of suspense is brutal at times. I lost my chance... But you people can still do it. Wait until It's over and then watch the whole thing.

DanaC 08-21-2015 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 936427)
Extant.

That show is excellent, so... DON'T YOU FREAKING WATCH IT. the amount of suspense is brutal at times. I lost my chance... But you people can still do it. Wait until It's over and then watch the whole thing.

Noted, thanks :)

Not sure if buzzing is the right word - probably more fascinated by - but The Leftovers has really got under my skin now.

it 08-21-2015 02:34 PM

NP

Shows that I really am just buzzing about, because they aren't on the air yet and I am not exactly sure what buzzing means so I am just going to interpret it to mean a range of responses from hype to mild excitement...

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert... Because:
- I never watched the late show without getting bored
- I never watched the colbert report and got bored
I want to watch it fight over my mental stimuli.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah... Because:
- It's the daily show
- Trevor Noah is hilarious
'nough said.

The Expanse... Because:
Quote:

Reporting on the pilot screening, io9* '​s Lauren Davis declared herself "blown away" by The Expanse, appreciating its "incredible sense of scale" and its "deeply thought out future world that reflects on our present one, with high production values and characters who speak and act like real people". Max Nicholson of IGN characterized the pilot as a "grim and dramatic", and a "very dense hour of television", with the terminology and large cast sometimes difficult to follow for viewers unfamiliar with the novels, but highlighted the pilot's "gorgeous" visuals and effects reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica, Dune and Firefly.
Dark Matter and Killjoys aren't really doing it for me, I haven't had a good space opera in awhile, and the trailer to this thing - despite clearly having some strong high production values and visual effects - pays nearly no attention to them and tries to condense plot point after plot point instead, which in my mind makes it feel like it might be more of a sci-fi Game Of Thrones.

DanaC 08-21-2015 02:40 PM

The Expanse looks intriguing. I'll definitely give that a go.

re: buzzing - yeah, pretty much. It also carries drug connotations.

it 08-21-2015 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 936699)
The Expanse looks intriguing. I'll definitely give that a go.

Actually now that I think of it...

- They are both based on book series that are still been written.
- They are driven by intrigue and large scale politics.
- GoT is very low-fantasy, TE is pretty hard sci-fi (so.. Both low fantasy).

I know that syFy doesn't do sex and violence like HBO does, but if we can still have enough main characters dying...

DanaC 08-21-2015 03:21 PM

So = just watched ep 8 of Leftovers. I really wavered the first few eps, but since the midpoint of the series, it's been killing it. I found it really hard to connect with the characters for the first couple of eps, and a patchy connection up mid season, but I'm really invested in their individual stories now.

Spoilers in white:

The reveal, over the last couple of episodes, of just how unhinged Garvey has been really impressed me. I watched the scene where Patti is urging him to finish what he started and kill her. When he took out the knife, I was holding my breath, willing him not to do it, just to let her go. I had no idea which way it would fall.

Sundae 08-21-2015 03:59 PM

NO SPOILERS.
Or I'll set creepy dolls on you...

Just wondered if it was worth pre-ordering series 5 of The Walking Dead DVD?
I became minorly [majorly] obsessed with it when I had 4 series to watch. And extras. Seemed like it would stretch on forever.
But I gobbled up a lot of it in the nuthouse, so have been left with a long wait for series 5 DVD. Sold my 1-4 boxset in times of hardship.

Is good? Is okay? Has lost some momentum?

Deliberately have NOT read any reviews because you can't sic creepy dolls on random reviewers on Amazon and suchlike.
Also, I'm on probation after I killed a reviewer regarding Jon Snow. I only got a suspended sentence as the Judge agreed there were mitigating circumstances.

it 08-21-2015 08:43 PM

But maybe....

DanaC 08-23-2015 04:33 PM

Wow. I just finished The Leftovers. Really glad I stuck with it. Fantastic back half. And now I want to rewatch the first half of the series, knowing what I know about the characters.

DanaC 09-10-2015 02:12 PM

Ok - I am three episodes into Sense8 and am totally buzzing om this show. It is a wild ride.

DanaC 09-11-2015 02:17 PM

Just watched episode 4 - it's a long time since a priogramme has kept me so on the edge of my seat. There are sequences that are downright exhilarating - and then it'll flip it and I am close to tears.

So impressed. I really like the way they're delivering the story. It's a nice balance between their individual stories and the meta narrative - and the way they switch about between the different points of view and visual styles is great. Also, whoever does the musical and sound direction deserves an award, because it is beautifully done.

it 09-12-2015 09:36 PM

In continuation of the this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 936698)
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert... Because:
- I never watched the late show without getting bored
- I never watched the colbert report and got bored
I want to watch it fight over my mental stimuli.

So far I am finding it relatively enjoyable, probably because it's still more about his gig then the celebs' his interviewing.

Maybe.. Maybe that's it. That's how they hook you up. They got him to get the audience of people 24 to 36, and here I am 30, closed in from both directions with no room for escape. I am now... A talk show watcher :eek:

elSicomoro 09-13-2015 10:31 PM

I'm enjoying Blunt Talk, the new Starz show with Patrick Stewart. It's also nice to finally watch a show weekly as it happens...I'm doing this with the final season of The League on FXX.

Next week, The Doctor returns!

Griff 09-14-2015 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 938838)
In continuation of the this:

So far I am finding it relatively enjoyable, probably because it's still more about his gig then the celebs' his interviewing.

Maybe.. Maybe that's it. That's how they hook you up. They got him to get the audience of people 24 to 36, and here I am 30, closed in from both directions with no room for escape. I am now... A talk show watcher :eek:

He isn't as smarmy as Fallon and company. Fallon is super talented but he will never call someone on their bullshit and is a constant kiss ass. Colbere seems to react to people a little bit. There was just a little push back in the Bush interview, he openly admires Joe Biden, called Hillary on her nonsense... It is a fine line to walk but we'll see. I won't watch often but the tivo is set if he gets a significant interview.

Zathris 09-14-2015 05:05 PM

Here are mine. I don't "buzz" about these shows, they're just some of my favorites.

[Sidenote: I'm only listing shows currently in production, on break, or new episodes currently on air/cable, so,,,, no shows such as Castle, Fringe, Community, etc. Nor will I list any streaming shows (such as those on Netflix)]

ABC
  • Marvel: Agents Of S.H.I.E L.D.
  • The Muppets

ABC Family
  • Baby Daddy
  • Melissa & Joey
  • Young & Hungry

BBC America
  • Doctor Who
  • OrphanBlack
  • The Graham Norton Show

CBS
  • CSI: Cyber
  • Scorpion

Comedy Central
  • @midnight
  • Key & Peele
  • The Daily Show
  • The Nightly Show

CW
  • Who's Line Is It Anyway?
  • Penn & Teller: Fool Us

FOX
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine
  • Family Guy
  • The Simpsons

NBC
  • Supergirl

Science
  • Mythbusters

Syfy
  • Dark Matter
  • Defiance
  • Killjoys

TBS
  • Conan

TNT
  • Major Crimes
  • Murder In The First
  • Proof
  • Rizzoli & Isles

VH1 Classic
  • Rock Icons
  • That Metal Show

Happy Monkey 09-14-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris (Post 939024)
[Sidenote: I'm only listing shows currently in production, on break, or new episodes currently on air/cable, so,,,, no shows such as Castle, Fringe, Community, etc. Nor will I list any streaming shows (such as those on Netflix)]

Castle's not dead yet!
Community's probably dead, but even if it isn't, it's moved to streaming (or a movie).

Zathris 09-14-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 939030)
Castle's not dead yet!

Ok! Don't have a moose. The only two reasons I thought Castle was cancelled is cuz I've never seen any new episode previews, and TNT has been showing back-to-back re-runs ever since the shows I listed above went on break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Community's probably dead, but even if it isn't, it's moved to streaming (or a movie).

Meh. The last time I regularly watched anything on NBC was 2007 thru 2012.

BigV 09-16-2015 12:02 PM

that's a lot of tv.

Happy Monkey 09-16-2015 12:29 PM

Heh... my list's bigger (and overlaps quite a lot)...

DanaC 09-16-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 939217)

Can you imagine how difficult it is, what a supreme effort it takes for me not to make a smutty comment after that?

BigV 09-16-2015 02:06 PM

no, why don't you give us all an example to ... measure by.

Zathris 09-16-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 939210)
that's a lot of tv.

Yeah, well, what can I say. I'm an addict. And that list isn't even complete.

Gravdigr 09-16-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 939217)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 939226)
Can you imagine how difficult it is, what a supreme effort it takes for me not to make a smutty comment after that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 939233)
no, why don't you give us all an example to ... measure by.

You lot quit dicking around.

it 09-16-2015 03:36 PM

Suck my
http://i.imgur.com/0mBItua.jpg

P.S.
Mods: I know you want to touch it and do your thing, but come on... I am already Jewish.

fargon 09-16-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 939256)
Suck my

P.S.
Mods: I know you want to touch it and do your thing, but come on... I am already Jewish.

It's too small to read.

Gravdigr 09-16-2015 03:51 PM

Hah! :lol2: