The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   British Telly (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26192)

wolf 10-30-2011 08:56 PM

British Telly

There are a bunch of individual threads targeting the telly, but I decided I wanted one place that I could find if I really needed to burble on about something ... and burble I must.

Being trapped in the apt by the first snowstorm of the season gave me an opportunity to catch up on some television shows that I'd been missing.

I've focused on two series from BBC America. I've gotten caught up to the episodes broadcast so far.

Bedlam ... upscale condos in a building that used to be a nuthouse, creepy things happen, and there's this guy who sees ghosts, sort of, who just got out of a nuthouse himself. Lots of secrets in the past and the present of the old nuthouse, it seems. I just finished watching episode 5.

Not as exciting as I'd hoped, but not terrible either. Kind of understated, which is what I expect of most British tv shows.

Whitechapel ... seems as if there's a trend of pulling the past into the present going on. This is just a modernizing of the characters like Sherlock ... but a newly minted Detective Inspector gets dumped on an established murder investigation unit. There are some amusing cultural clashes between the DI and the hardened veterans of the force, but the main action revolves around some slasher murders ... I don't think it spoils the plot too much to mention that there are some historical references in the crime spree. We've only got the first two episodes of this one over here. I'm assuming that this is a close-ended series?

Law and Order: UK ... almost word for word reshoots of American Law and Order epsiodes. Haven't you guys been getting ours over there? I understand redoing the series ... we've stolen enough of your concepts (The Office, Steptoe and Son, whatever All in the Family was over there), after all, but shouldn't you have your own plotlines? It is fun seeing some of my favorite old episodes with warrant cards and horsehair wigs, but come on!

HungLikeJesus 11-03-2011 07:07 PM

After years of being out of the TV loop, I've recently begun to watch some shows through Netflix. Can someone explain why British series (e.g. The IT Crowd, Coupling) seem to only have about six episodes in a season and US series have about 24?

Does a season = 1 year? Are the shows broadcast every week?

DanaC 11-03-2011 07:57 PM

They usually go out weekly, and they usually have a year between series.

Most of our television shows are comparatively short runs next to US tv. There are some long running staples (soaps and long running hospital and police dramas) but most are short.

Doctor Who, Merlin and a few others are considered here to be 'long' series, because they go to 12 or 13 episodes.

Often they mess around with the number of episodes as well. So, whereas Being Human got a first series of 6 episodes, then two subsequent series (in subsequent years :P) of 8 episodes each, Luther began with a first series of 6 and then returned for a second series of 4 episodes.

Most of the really great British dramas and dramedies are short. State of Play, Life on Mars, Holding On, The Thick of It, Being Human, all i think had 6 or 8 episode series.

HungLikeJesus 11-03-2011 08:29 PM

So a whole season is only 6 or 8 weeks, then you have to wait 10 months to see the next season? It seems like people would lose interest.

Rhianne 11-03-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 769969)
Can someone explain why British series (e.g. The IT Crowd, Coupling) seem to only have about six episodes in a season and US series have about 24?

Writing.

Most British series, be it comedy or drama, are written by a single or pair of writers, generally the creators, while American shows will enlist a whole team of writers which often reaches double figures.

monster 11-03-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 769999)
So a whole season is only 6 or 8 weeks, then you have to wait 10 months to see the next season? It seems like people would lose interest.

attention span. apparently cultural?

HungLikeJesus 11-03-2011 09:20 PM

Sorry, I had to scroll up to see what you were talking about.

Sundae 11-04-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 768329)
Bedlam ... upscale condos in a building that used to be a nuthouse, creepy things happen, and there's this guy who sees ghosts, sort of, who just got out of a nuthouse himself. Lots of secrets in the past and the present of the old nuthouse, it seems. I just finished watching episode 5.

Not as exciting as I'd hoped, but not terrible either. Kind of understated, which is what I expect of most British tv shows.

I was really looking forward to it... and was disappointed.
It wasn't dire, but it had nothing new to offfer. It had no real atmosphere and didn't deliver any finger-tingling moments.

It's what I've come to expect of new, untried horror novels and most films. The gems are few and far between, and it's usually like searching for diamonds in a manure heap. Occasionally exceptionally rewarding, but a lot of shit getting there.

Having it as a TV format was brave, but it just wasn't good enough (IMO) to cut it.
Things which could have been improved: the story; the dialogue; the acting.
I wasn't all that fond of Crooked House, but it beat that Bedlam into a meringue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 768329)
Whitechapel ... seems as if there's a trend of pulling the past into the present going on. This is just a modernizing of the characters like Sherlock ... but a newly minted Detective Inspector gets dumped on an established murder investigation unit... I'm assuming that this is a close-ended series?

Yep it's a genre now. But Rupert Penry-Jones and Phil Davis gave it a little more weight. And of course Steve Pemberton was in it, with his peculiar animalistic appeal. There is another series. Not sure if it will be the last.

I liked the way it was shot. It's certainly not supposed to be realistic, so it does exist in its own slightly off-beat world.

Law & Order UK - no idea.
I wasn't aware we'd imported any series - as you say it is usually the other way round.
My only suggestion is that they had a similar series approved but it was too close to the American TV programme for it not to raise eyebrows. So they bought it in, and will develop it along British lines. From previous experience of television this is feasible, just highly uncommon in this country where the development of programmes comes from a smaller source and there is advance knowledge of American programmes in the pipeline..

DanaC 11-04-2011 02:09 PM

It's been going for a little while now that show. I've never really got into it. Despite having Freema Agyeman and Apollo from BSG :P

I suspect it was an attractive franchise to plug into because of its flexibility. And because sometimes it's interesting to look at the same basic story but transplanted to a different culture. That and the Law and Order name tag is a guaranteed audience who'll give it a try.

Sundae: if you haven't already, and you get a chance, check The Fades out.

Ep 1 is brilliant (I thought), showing a lovely friendship between the two 17 year old lads at the centre of it and setting the pieces in place. A few definate make ya jump moments.

Ep 2 is good, and I enjoyed it, but began to wonder if the mythos they were building was going to work, and if the series would have enough legs to make it through. But was still into it enough to go for ep 3.

Ep3 is the game changer. Things start to build, the mythos starts to gain some darker substance, and the ending had me on the edge of my seat in disbelief.

Ep4, 5 and 6: really solid, dark and funny, some genuinely chilling moments, and also moments of lyricism.

I just i wish there were more than 6 episodes!

I am so impressed with t-leaf. That boy can really act. He can turn on a dime between humour and pathos. He, and the lad who plays Paul (the central character) are absolutely brilliant young actors.

And it's really well-written, I think. Some scenes of family life and friends interacting, that are just so brilliantly observed. The relationship between Paul and his mum for instance, is really well-written and acted.

And I have barely touched on the details of the mythos. Which starts out interesting, then threatens to become a little trite then takes an unexpected left turn into intriguing and disturbing again :P

Some elements of it remind me of Being Human. Other elements more of Misfits. And something else too. Something retro, I think. Not sure.

So hope theymake another series. They sure left the door open.

Sundae 11-04-2011 02:12 PM

I started it and really liked it.
Then it just faded away (hah)
Not because of the eps, I just lost impetus.
I probably had a new book.
It's on the list again now, knowing I have lots to catch up on.

DanaC 11-04-2011 02:19 PM

Ha! faded away. Very good.

Given the presence of the rather attractive lust interest from Miranda, there wasn't much chance of my fading away from this one :p

DanaC 11-04-2011 02:22 PM

Oh, talking of misfits, the current issue of SFX is doing a big Misfits series 3 special.

Scriveyn 11-04-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 770164)
Whitechapel ...

Yep it's a genre now. But Rupert Penry-Jones and Phil Davis gave it a little more weight. And of course Steve Pemberton was in it, with his peculiar animalistic appeal. There is another series. Not sure if it will be the last.

I remember seeing at least one episode (or most of it) and I tried to find more of the series later, but couldn't remember series' title, nor locate the time or broadcaster. - Seemed strange at first, but liked it after a bit.
So, with the title supplied by you I found the info on the ITV website. Seems it was only a three part series; no wonder I couldn't find more episodes :/

Will keep my eyes open to catch any further series.

Thanks, Sundae, for the hint

Sundae 11-04-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 770171)
Ha! faded away. Very good.

Can't get it from the Beeb, except with audio description and signing.
NO THANKS.

Have to go elsewhere.

ETA - You're welcome Scriv.
It doesn't have me whole-hearted approval, but it's worth whiling away some time with.

DanaC 11-04-2011 02:39 PM

http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/The-...n_1/episode_1/

I recommend the putlocker or megavideo streams.

Sundae 11-04-2011 02:42 PM

Don't worry, I'm cognisant with them all now, thanks to Torchwood:MD :)
Think I'll start them tomorrow though.

Muddy day today at school.
Knackered.

Scriveyn 01-07-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 770164)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Whitechapel ... seems as if there's a trend of pulling the past into the present going on. This is just a modernizing of the characters like Sherlock ... but a newly minted Detective Inspector gets dumped on an established murder investigation unit... I'm assuming that this is a close-ended series?

I liked the way it was shot. It's certainly not supposed to be realistic, so it does exist in its own slightly off-beat world.

Episodes 1-3 of series two are currently up on BBC ONE / THREE

A Scandal In Belgravia
The Hounds Of Baskerville
The Reichenbach Falls

I'll give it a try.

sullage 01-08-2012 10:53 AM

I've been watching Outnumbered. I don't have any kids, and I think it might be less funny to parents. I love watching a twenty minute scene about getting ready for school in the morning and at the end the characters are no closer to being ready to go.

Sundae 01-08-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sullage (Post 786010)
I've been watching Outnumbered. I don't have any kids, and I think it might be less funny to parents.

I wouldn't be so sure. It's a favourite in the staffroom, and I'm in a minority in that I don't have any children of my own (2 in 30?)

Also the stream of consciousness approach appeals to many parents brought up on "exploded" sitcoms.

infinite monkey 01-08-2012 11:34 AM

I thought this was a thread about Benny Hill. :(

Clodfobble 01-08-2012 03:37 PM

Stuff like that is usually very funny to parents, because it means that they're not alone, they're not bad parents for living in a maelstrom, and that things could always be worse. It's like how people with messy houses really like watching Hoarders. :)

Spexxvet 01-10-2012 08:16 AM

Watched the first episode of Survivors. Looks like it's worth watching more.

ZenGum 01-10-2012 06:41 PM

Why the heck is QI only 30 minutes? Surely those wits could carry on for three times that long each week (and they probably do) and I'd watch it.

DanaC 01-10-2012 07:27 PM

There's also the extended editions QI XL which are 50 minutes.

BigV 01-11-2012 05:18 PM

british television, not british radio. I have misremembered this story about the BBC's World Service program. They're going to carry advertising for the first time.

What is the relationship between BBC television and BBC radio?

Rhianne 01-11-2012 05:43 PM

They are as one - but don't tell the radio people that! I worked for both (but was never directly employed by either) for over twenty years.

Sundae 01-21-2012 05:47 AM

Anyone watching this series of Sherlock?
I've watched episode one so far and am making inroads into episode two.

Gatiss, Cumberbatch, Tovey, Freeman. British TV at its best.

DanaC 01-21-2012 05:53 AM

I watched the first one of the new series, Murder in Bohemia. Really enjoyed it.

I'd started watching it a few days prior, but after about 10 minutes I realised I was in entirely the wrong mood. wasn't hiting my buttons at all. Just thought Sherlock was a bit of a dick.

Went back to it and really got into it this time. Loved it.

I'd only seen one of the previous series. I'd caught the others in passing, but hadn't watched them. So, after I'd seen Murder in Bohemia, I went back and watched eps 1 and 2 of the first series. Am going to watch the third this weekend, then skip onto ep 2 of the current series.

Awesome, awesome prog. It's finally got me.

Clodfobble 01-21-2012 10:44 AM

We looooove it. Have watched all the first three episodes more than once. Really itching for the second season to get posted to Netflix.

BrianR 01-21-2012 10:57 AM

Mary is also addicted. She had me set up a UK proxy for her so she can watch the rest. I swore to her that I couldn't because I didn't really want to be fussed with it. :)

DanaC 01-21-2012 10:58 AM

I am particularly loving Martin Freeman's Dr Watson. They couldn't have cast this show better.

DanaC 01-21-2012 10:59 AM

You know they're all available to stream on tv-links.eu

Clodfobble 01-21-2012 11:23 AM

I went through a series of clicks, but ultimately it wanted me to download software, and I'm not ready for that level of commitment. :)

Ibby 01-21-2012 11:33 AM

AGH SERIES 2 EPISODE 3
ALL MY EMOTIONS
MOFFFFFFFFFF

Sundae 01-21-2012 02:04 PM

Only on episode 2.
Will wait to join you.

Scriveyn 01-21-2012 03:09 PM

I liked the first out of the three: fast moving, complex and decent plot. - Parts 2 + 3 didn't live up to that on any of those counts. :2cents:
Love Mrs. Hudson :D

Sundae 01-22-2012 06:42 AM

Ep 3. Just seen Mark Gatiss's husband as Moriarty's Defence Barrister.
He's a good actor so I can't complain.

BrianR 01-22-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 789677)
You know they're all available to stream on tv-links.eu

Oh yay. Another monthly subscription. I already pay for Netflix and Hulu Plus. Any more and I might as well get a dish. 120 channels for $34.95 a month. Free installation. I wonder what a second and third box would run me?

DanaC 01-22-2012 10:22 AM

Umm...it's just a portal site. There's no fee.

infinite monkey 01-22-2012 06:17 PM

OH.

Sundae 01-23-2012 12:47 PM

Damn, I thought I worked out what we were all missing (according to Stephen Moffat).
I heard Sherlock get a text message before he started laughing.

On rewatching, no text alert.
And I suppose I should have realised that he wouldn't have the old standard SMS Nokia text notice.

It must have been my Mum's phone going off downstairs!

Back to the drawing board.
I've never been any good at this type of puzzle.
Usually what I think of as a clue turns out to be a plot hole.
Like how long it takes to get a headstone erected (3-6 months).

SPOILERS!
One thing out of character for Sherlock, apart from the emotion in his voice and choosing to make a phone call instead of sending a text is his distress at Moriarty's death. Moriarty was a villian and Sherlock is a pragmatist. He's seen corpses before. Moriarty was trying to kill him. So what is he sniffing into his sleeve for?

BrianR 01-24-2012 09:03 AM

Sundae, you didn't read the books. That's the trouble with telly. No one reads anymore!

Moriarty was an intellect equal to Sherlock's own, by his own reckoning. He was likely mourning for the loss of the challenge.

Spoiler!

Moriarty never quite dies.

Sundae 01-24-2012 10:23 AM

I've read all of the Sherlock Holmes books and stories!
I still don't think Sherlock would blub at Moriarty's death. YMMV.

Scriveyn 02-08-2012 01:16 PM

Tonight on BBC FOUR: Diana Rigg in the Mrs. Bradley Mysteries. Think I'll give this a try if my DVR doesn't play up.

Sundae 02-08-2012 01:31 PM

Watching series three of Whitechapel online.
Second ep.
I still like it, but I think some of the world out of time aspect is missing.
Locations and peripheral life are more resoundingly modern.

Pemby has lost a lot of weight!
Makes him look older. Although he is playing a man older than his true age in this anyway.

Ibby 02-19-2012 10:02 PM

Halfway through series 2 of Luther. SO enamored. I love it. Idris Elba is one of the best actors working in Britain OR Hollywood today. Between this and The Wire, I would TOTALLY support his ascendance to The Doctor (I've heard his name tossed around as a potential 12th Doctor (and potential 11th, and 10th...).

DanaC 02-20-2012 04:44 AM

Luther was great!

First series was stronger than the second imo, but second was still great fun.

Idris Elba is awesome. So is Paul McGann, even though he wasn't in as much as I'd have liked ;p

I think he'd make a great Doctor, but he's probably too well known. My guess is that they'll go for a less well known actor when Smith leaves.

Chris Ecclestone was well known and respected as an actor, but that was needed for a relaunch(gave the draw factor) and David Tennant was kind of known but not massively.

Matt Smith had been in a couple of things but was more or less new to tv.

Now the series is doing well, they'll want to have actors who are less well known than the role.

glatt 02-20-2012 05:15 AM

I've been watching Downton Abbey. It's a really addictive soap opera. Seems like everyone I know is watching it. But unlike most trashy soaps, this one is different, you see, because they wear period dress and have accents. It's an intellectual's soap.

Ibby 02-20-2012 11:38 PM

Halfway through the first episode of the British (original) Shameless, which's been picked up by Showtime starring William H. Macy in the states. and then SUDDENLY PEMBERTON.

Ibby 02-20-2012 11:44 PM

But I just found out today that Psychoville isn't coming back. Maybe because LoG is returning...? too much to hope for I guess.

Sundae 02-21-2012 04:50 AM

Damn - you know more than me.
I can't see a new TLoG series in the near future though - they are all too committed to successful separate projects.

Ibby 02-21-2012 12:35 PM

's tragic, though.
What's Reece up to these days? anything worth checking out? I haven't seen him pop up since Psychoville, whereas Pemby keeps showing up all over the place.

wolf 02-21-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 796578)
... So is Paul McGann, even though he wasn't in as much as I'd have liked ;p

I think he'd make a great Doctor, but he's probably too well known. My guess is that they'll go for a less well known actor when Smith leaves.

He was The Doctor already. With Eric Roberts as The Master, in a made for TV movie in 1996.

I don't think they would go back to an actor who has already done the role.

(or did you mean Idris Elba?)

Sundae 02-21-2012 12:52 PM

Reece's on stage!
In Betty Blue Eyes.
Musical based on Alan Bennett's A Private Function, in the part previously played by Michael Palin. Which hopefully sets to rest his fears that he will end up The League's Eric Idle :)

I just can't afford it right now. Didn't get to see him in The Producers either, although that was because we turned up on a day when he had strained a muscle. Saw the remarkably Tom Goodman-Hill as Peter Cook though. Swoon. But I've always loved a ginger.

Reece is probably in a lot of things you just don't get to see. Catterick, Spaced, Agatha Christie, Max & Paddy, TLC (which I can only find on YouTube in German?!) He does work a lot for the Beeb and they control their content TIGHTLY.

But yes, Pemby turns up a lot because he has a good eye for a script, so it gets repeated muchly. First series of Shameless, Blackpool (did you have this already? a singing David Tennant), Dr Who of course, Benidorm, Whitechapel et al.

ETA, not to denigrate the others!
I have a lovely semi-drunk convo with Dyson when dressed as a vampire.
I was so careful not to quote League lines - and especially not those from their excellent commentaries, that I may have been a bit stiff.

Gattiss is my real hero and I've only ever spoken to him via Q&A on stage.

Ibby 02-21-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 796844)
He was The Doctor already. With Eric Roberts as The Master, in a made for TV movie in 1996.

I don't think they would go back to an actor who has already done the role.

(or did you mean Idris Elba?)

I assume she meant Idris, though I was initially confused too.

Ibby 02-21-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 796845)
Reece is probably in a lot of things you just don't get to see. Catterick, Spaced, Agatha Christie, Max & Paddy, TLC (which I can only find on YouTube in German?!) He does work a lot for the Beeb and they control their content TIGHTLY.

You, my good lady, misunderestimate the powers of the interwebs. Now I've got a lovely list to start downloading!

Sundae 02-21-2012 02:16 PM

Some of those are worth seeing regardless.
Many in their entirety.

Some are best seen in clip form just for Reece.
Miss Marple is an Agatha Christie character (as I'm sure you know) so Reece is only in one episode.

Have you watched Funland?
Please tell me you haven't.
Just so I can introduce you to it.
I lent it to me sister and BIL as a sneaky joke. They wanted Blackpool because Tennant was in it. They got that, and Funland as something else they might enjoy.
Snicker.
Far too dark for them. Ho ho ho silly suburban types.

I got it back, assuming it had never been watched.
It appeared on their Christmas present list.
I underestimate other people sometimes.

I think I've prev mentioned all of the above (actors and series as opposed to relatives).
You know we'll always answer if you ask.

Sundae 02-25-2012 06:09 AM

An update on the League as I heard Shearsmith on the radio this morning.
He is in Alan Ayckbourn's Absent Friends. I'm tempted but of course it depends on getting the lowest price seat (£15) as I can't afford the Stalls right now. Still, I have binoculars these days :)

Steve is in She Stoops to Conquer at the National.
Love him more but haven't seen Reece on stage yet.

And the lovely Mark Gatiss is in The Recruiting Officer at the Donmar.
Sold out across the run.

Reece has a small role in Henry IV (parts I and II) coming up, he was approached by the producer of Betty Blue Eyes. This is a BBC endeavour.

He confirmed what you said (Ibs) that there would be no more Psychoville, but that he and Steve are working on something else. Yay.

Ibby 02-26-2012 12:05 PM

I'm sad to see psychoville go, especially so unresolved.

Sundae 02-26-2012 12:18 PM

Meh - they killed everyone off in wonderfully shocking ways (I did not see Tealeaf's death coming!) And David's story was a rare happy ending. Awwwwww.

I mourned the loss of the League deeply.
Although of course I was lucky enough to see them on tour after the third series.

Now I'm happy with them as individuals and am simply shivering with... anticipation for the next incarnation.