The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Brown rice, white rice (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25555)

limey 07-25-2011 06:43 AM

Brown rice, white rice

I like brown rice, Mr Limey likes white rice. Is there any way to prepare a dinner involving rice for us both without using two pans for the rice?
I know you inventive Dwellars will come up with something. It may even be practicable!

ZenGum 07-25-2011 07:01 AM

Eat dinner under a brown lightbulb. The white rice will look brown.

DanaC 07-25-2011 07:04 AM

Do you have a microwave? Individual bags of rice, problem solved :p Alternatively, boil in the bag in a pan of water. Uncle Ben's boil in the bag rice is bloody lovely.

Gravdigr 07-25-2011 07:22 AM

Have either of you tried wild rice?

infinite monkey 07-25-2011 07:24 AM

Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice is the bomb! Yeah, I'm no help but I needed to say it. ;)

jimhelm 07-25-2011 08:16 AM

switch to quinoa? is good

Spexxvet 07-25-2011 08:42 AM

Don't be ricist!

Cook the brown rice and white rice in one pot, then separate the grains after cooking.

ZenGum 07-25-2011 08:50 AM

Grow rice which is brown on one side and white on the other. Arrange the grains on your plate according to preference.

Undertoad 07-25-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

both without using two pans?
"2 cups, 1 pan"

Put 3 cups of water in the pan. Bring the water to boiling. Put the boil-bag with brown rice in the pan. When the bag is done, remove it, and measure out 2 cups of the still-boiling water. Put that water back in the pan and add a cup of white rice and cook it normally.

infinite monkey 07-25-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 746498)
Don't be ricist!

Cook the brown rice and white rice in one pot, then separate the grains after cooking.

That smacks of forced busting. Trying to get rid of separate but equal cooking pots, but you'll note that was BROWN vs. the Board of Ricification.

ZenGum 07-25-2011 09:04 AM

Gouge his eyes out and tell him it's white. He'll know it's not, but he'll know not to argue.

limey 07-25-2011 09:18 AM

Sorry, I should have said "boil-in-the-bag" is not an option (I don't think. I'll have to try to do a cost/benefit analysis of extra power on heating two pans vs cost of boil in bag sort ... hmmm. Meanwhile I have quite a large bag of white rice to feed him in the meanwhile!)
I know you'd have some great answers! Keep 'em coming!
And yes, wild rice is fab, but Mr L doesn't think so.
In fact at the local farmers' market today I noticed that I am drawn to the unusual veg (purple spuds), but Mr L no likeee. Perhaps I should just blindfold him.

Pico and ME 07-25-2011 09:23 AM

Make up a big batch of the white and freeze it in individual serving sizes - like freezer bags, that you could then microwave when you want it.

OR.

Maybe there is such a thing as a mesh bag that you could cook his white rice in the same pot as the brown (obviously increase the amount of water), then just take out the white rice when its done since it cooks faster than the brown rice.

glatt 07-25-2011 09:25 AM

Make your own boil in bag rice with some cheese cloth. Make a pouch filled with brown and a pouch filled with white, and boil.

I've never done this, but it should work. You might even be able to reuse the cheesecloth.

Trilby 07-25-2011 10:39 AM

compromise and use Basmati!

Spexxvet 07-25-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 746533)
compromise and use Basmati!

MMmm Basmati.... Kinda smells like popcorn when it's cooking.

Pete Zicato 07-25-2011 11:49 AM

Alternate and learn to tolerate each other's choices?

glatt 07-25-2011 12:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

BigV 07-26-2011 05:28 PM

glatt is a genius.

piercehawkeye45 07-27-2011 12:37 PM

Buy two of these:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

They are $20 each and you can cook consistently good rice with around 30 seconds of preparation.

Pete Zicato 07-27-2011 03:07 PM

Do they work equally well with long-grain, short-grain, and brown rice?

infinite monkey 07-27-2011 03:27 PM

More importantly, do they work equally well with these kinds of rice:

Wild Rice
Forbidden rice
Prosequisa 4
Prosequisa 5
Prosequisa 10
Juma 57
Juma 58
Juma 66
Juma 67
Idiaf 1
Yocahú CFX-18
Cristal 100
Toño Brea
Inglés Corto
Inglés Largo
Domsiah
Binam
Hasani
Salari
Ambarboo
Sang Tarom
Hasan Sarai
Arborio
Ariete
Baldo
Carnaroli
Lido
Originario
Padano
Ribe
Roma
Sant'Andrea
Thaibonnet
Venere
Vialone Nano
Koshihikari
Hitomebore
Hinohikari
Kinuhikari
Nihonbare
Sasanishiki
Kirara397
Hoshinoyume
Domannaka
Akitakomachi
Haenuki
Hanaechizen
Akebono
Asahi
Pokhareli
Jire Masino
Mansooli
Sticky Rice
Agulha Rice
Carolino Rice
Basmati
Ambemohar
Dubraj rice
Aizon Rice
Champaa Rice
Clearfield Rice
Hasan serai
Gobindo Bhog
Atop
HMT Rice
Thimmasamundaram Mollakolukulu
Jay Shrirama Rice
Joha rice
Rosematta rice
Navara rice
Raja Hansa rice
Molakolukulu
Patna rice
Pusa Rice
Idly Rice -
Sona Masuri
Ranjit Rice
Katta sambar
Hansraj
Jyothi
Annapoornna
Poreiton chakhau
Rajalele
Peta
Temanggung black rice
Dinorado
Ifugao Rice
Maharlika
Milagrosa pino
Segadis Milagrosa
Kalinayan
Sinandomeng
IR-841
IR-64
Angelika
Azucena
Malagkit
Wagwag
Samba
Sri Lankan Red Rice
Keeri Samba
Supiri Samba
Supiri Nadu
Nadu Rice
Badhabath
Bomba Rice.Bahia
Bomba
Calasparra
Senia
Jasmine rice
White rice
White Glutinous rice
Black Glutinous rice
Red Cargo rice
Brown rice
Akitakomachi rice
California New Variety rice
Calmochi rice
Calrose rice
Wehani rice
Pecan rice
Popcorn rice

Pete Zicato 07-27-2011 03:36 PM

I think you missed one.

Don't most rice cooking requirements fall into the three categories above?

infinite monkey 07-27-2011 04:35 PM

Probably. I was just messing around with a list of rices. There are so many! Who knew? :)

zippyt 07-27-2011 04:50 PM

Or you can just tell Mr Limey to stop whining and eat what he gets served !!! :)

piercehawkeye45 07-27-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 746953)
Do they work equally well with long-grain, short-grain, and brown rice?

From my personal use, it works well with long-grain, medium-grain, and brown rice. The only difference is the rice to water ratio needed to get the same consistency of rice. I have never tried short-grain but I'm sure it works just fine. My roommate sometimes cooks Cous Cous with it.

I have had one for a few years now and I have no problems with it.

infinite monkey 07-27-2011 04:57 PM

I really want a rice steamer. A purchase I keep forgetting about. I've numerous containers of rice in my cabinet but I never use it except for a few certain recipes.

limey 07-27-2011 05:07 PM

I knew you guys would have plenty of supremely inventive answers!
For practicality I'm favouring the low-tech, cheesecloth bag approach myself. I'm trying to use fewer utensils, DanaC, glatt and piercehaweye45, I'm afraid, and anyway, I already cook consistently good rice with arould 30 seconds of preparation :).
I've tried Zip's method, but frequently it just isn't worth the hassle. Likewise Pete, sometimes eating white rice is easier than persuading, y'know? And Jim - Quinoa?!?! The very name is wierd, I'll eat it, but I fear it's more persuasion for Mr L!!
Probably my favourite idea is ZenGum's, but arranging them on the plate? Can't we train them to lie down the right way up??
Gouging his eyes out would also probably create more problems than it would solve ...
Thank you all so much for helping me to see this in a different (brown?) light!

Spexxvet 07-27-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 746957)
More importantly, do they work equally well with these kinds of rice:

Yes, except for the Thimmasamundaram Mollakolukulu. Nothing works well with the Thimmasamundaram Mollakolukulu.

Stormieweather 07-27-2011 07:43 PM

In my house, whoever does the cooking gets to pick the ingredients. So if I cook, we eat brown rice. If he cooks, we eat white.

Simple...don't like what I cook? Make your own.

ZenGum 07-27-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Brown rice, white rice, spiders in the kitchen
Don't think twice 'bout whatever keeps you itchin'
Ice water, Flyswatter, gonna get you through
the day

monster 07-27-2011 08:29 PM

Shouldn't we be calling it african-american and irish-american rice?

Rhianne 07-27-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 746994)
Shouldn't we be calling it african-american and irish-american rice?

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the implied inferiority of the term 'short-grain' rice.

All rice has, or should have, an equal place on this planet no matter what it's colour or physical dimentions. Shame on you bigots and haters.

Spexxvet 07-28-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 746994)
irish-american rice?

I prefer caucazoid rice.;)

infinite monkey 07-28-2011 08:18 AM

As usual, we forget all about the Native American rice. Driven off their own land and now only available if you have a reservation.

Hmmph.

Clodfobble 07-28-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianne
Frankly, I'm more concerned about the implied inferiority of the term 'short-gain' rice.

Which is weird, because short-grain rice is way superior. Sushi rice is short-grain.

Trilby 07-29-2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 747152)
Which is weird, because short-grain rice is way superior.

Clodfobble is a ricist!

Jaydaan 07-31-2011 12:41 PM

Try frying the brown rice after its cooked. I put veggies in with mine, and the kids now prefer brown rice over the white rice. Its a completly different texture and taste. As I am sure you know :)
Or... try frying the white rice BEFORE it is cooked. Simply brown the dry rice with a splash of olive oil in the bottom of the pot you are going to cook it in. Then cook it normally. This gives it a different taste, closer to brown rice without the texture difference as much.

Pico and ME 07-31-2011 01:30 PM

I have a very tasty brown rice recipe. Saute chopped broccoli in olive oil until tender, then add cooked brown rice and sprinkle liberally with parmesan cheese - I like a LOT of cheese. Also, I cook the brown rice in beef broth and add several shakes of Maggi seasoning. You can make it really rich by adding some butter to the pan when you add the rice.

Urbane Guerrilla 08-01-2011 11:49 PM

Eh: risottos.

I like cooking quinoa with chicken stock. Makes it quite like a pilaf.

Sundae 08-02-2011 05:38 AM

I love quinoa!
I am happy to eat it with raw veggies.

Must put it on the shopping list.
Oh, except Mum & I are sharing evening meals and she don't like it.
Damn her and her grain and pulse prejudices!

I love the chew-factor of brown rice.
As with quinoa (although without the protein) I am happy to have it as the main ingredient.
I'm honestly not a fan of white rice. It could disappear into Room 101 and I would not miss it. I don't hate it, like bananas or peanut butter, but I would not choose to eat it.

Given my druthers I have a naan with curry and any bread option available with chilli.
And prawn crackers with Chinese.
Nom nom.

Dude111 07-19-2020 08:04 PM

White rice!!!!!

MMMM I have always loved white rice........ I dont (And havent ever) liked Brown......