The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Resetting my mindset about some dwellers. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24935)

morethanpretty 04-17-2011 09:32 PM

Resetting my mindset about some dwellers.

I just want to apologize for my former not-so-good-opinion about certain posters. I probably judged too harshly and with very little to no real evidence that they were dumb/mean/ridiculous. I'm not sure if I should name names, that might make things worse.

I hope to start fresh and try to read their posts without my personal bias about them getting in the way.

That is all.

Flint 04-17-2011 10:02 PM

Nobody liked me when I joined here, but I didn't let it hurt my feelings. I think Elspode was the only person who even said "give him a chance" before many others starting calling to ban me outright. This is all true, you can look it up. It is what I refer to as "in the past" ...

lookout123 04-17-2011 10:24 PM

I'm still waiting for you to be banned.

footfootfoot 04-17-2011 10:29 PM

I accept your apology and take back all that shit I said about you.

sexobon 04-17-2011 10:38 PM

She's just after the make-up sex.

morethanpretty 04-17-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 723801)
Nobody liked me when I joined here, but I didn't let it hurt my feelings. I think Elspode was the only person who even said "give him a chance" before many others starting calling to ban me outright. This is all true, you can look it up. It is what I refer to as "in the past" ...

Hmm, thats harsh. :( I honestly don't see why, but that may be because I see everything you post in a humorous light. That might be wrong on my part. I'm not saying you're silly and I don't take you seriously...I just don't take you too seriously.

morethanpretty 04-17-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 723813)
She's just after the make-up sex.

I know you're making a joke, but my goal is kinda selfish. I think my not-so-nice opinions hurt me worse than any of the people they are directed at. I'm the one who gets angry/upset when I read their posts. Its my problem, not theirs. I am doing this more to make myself feel better, I guess. Although, I also hope it helps others.

Flint 04-17-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 723814)
I honestly don't see why, but that may be because I see everything you post in a humorous light.

It was my fault. I arrived as a part of a two-person strikeforce whose M.O. was to create massive amounts of consternation. Not with any bad intentions, mind you. Just for amusement's sake. I came from a board where we liked to get the posts firing off more quickly as folks jumped on the manuafctured controversy bandwagon.

I wasn't surprised at the reaction (it was what I hoped for) but I was surpised at what at the quality and richness of content in this community. So I stuck around for five years and running.

In short, I chilled out a little, in order to make a better fit. I've never actually admitted that until just now.

monster 04-17-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 723818)
In short, I chilled out a little, in order to make a better fit. I've never actually admitted that until just now.

Whereas I came from a nice board and went the other way

#thismomentbroughttoyoubychoosethedarkside.org

Flint 04-17-2011 10:57 PM

Fuck a nice board.

monster 04-17-2011 11:27 PM

won't I get splinters?

morethanpretty 04-18-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 723820)
Fuck a nice board.

Yeah, why have a nice board when you have a board of trolls?

monster 04-18-2011 12:25 AM

maybe he didn't mean it that way....maybe nice-board posters are easy?

Spexxvet 04-18-2011 08:09 AM

The sexist pig spelled broad wrong.:cool:

Flint 04-18-2011 09:23 AM

"Nice" is bullshit. I want HONEST. Why bother with anything less?

infinite monkey 04-18-2011 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 723882)

Cloud 04-18-2011 10:20 AM

nice and honest are not mutually exclusive. You didn't know?

infinite monkey 04-18-2011 10:21 AM

Neither are martyr and vacuous.

footfootfoot 04-18-2011 06:19 PM

ouch

Aliantha 04-18-2011 08:14 PM

mtp, I've decided to rethink my previously held opinions of you, mostly due to some of the observations you've made lately that I've been really impressed with, especially considering the personal challenges you're dealing with lately.

Let's be friends. ;)

Aliantha 04-18-2011 08:15 PM

Honesty doesn't have to be delivered in a nasty way. Nor does it need to be sugar coated.

Can't honesty just be honest without any hidden motives?

Aliantha 04-18-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 723909)
Neither are martyr and vacuous.

This makes you look so nasty shawnee. Why do you have to be like that? You're not a nasty person. Why act like one?

Nirvana 04-18-2011 08:38 PM

Is Cloud the only one allowed to be nasty?
Nasty a relative term that can have varying degrees...

Flint 04-18-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 724110)
Can't honesty just be honest without any hidden motives?

Who said it can't? In fact, the literal definition of the word "honest" precludes what you are suggesting. Ipso facto.

skysidhe 04-19-2011 01:45 AM

This is NOT the most hostile board this side of hell. Flint knows.

MTP is proof of that.

Flint 04-19-2011 09:58 AM

You're right, skysidhe. This IS a nice board. VERY nice.

Pico and ME 04-19-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 724109)
mtp, I've decided to rethink my previously held opinions of you, mostly due to some of the observations you've made lately that I've been really impressed with, especially considering the personal challenges you're dealing with lately.

Let's be friends. ;)

Ali, have you no idea how insulting this is?

footfootfoot 04-19-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 724119)
Who said it can't? In fact, the literal definition of the word "honest" precludes what you are suggesting. Ipso facto.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; you are a fact monger, Flint.

footfootfoot 04-19-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 724237)

I thought it was a joke.

Flint 04-19-2011 10:05 AM

Sorry...

Pico and ME 04-19-2011 10:56 AM

Ahhhh....maybe I should have tried to figure out the context first, but if someone had said to me - 'I've decided to rethink my previously held opinions of you', I would have been really put off.

Trilby 04-19-2011 01:02 PM

I always imagine that poster as coming from a place of incredible condescension, pico, and i, too, felt it was meant as an insult.

Some people are soooooo prissy.

Aliantha 04-19-2011 06:55 PM

It was a tongue in cheek statement, particularly the last sentence. Hence the wink.

That being said, I have noticed a change in MTP's attitude lately, and I find her easier to relate to because of it, so maybe I should have just said that instead huh?

If I offended you at all MTP, that was not my intention. Please accept my apology.

DanaC 04-19-2011 07:01 PM

I just assumed Ali was riffing on the thread title...

Aliantha 04-19-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 724274)
Ahhhh....maybe I should have tried to figure out the context first, but if someone had said to me - 'I've decided to rethink my previously held opinions of you', I would have been really put off.

You didn't notice that MTP used that exact phrase in her OP? Aside from my humourous intent, I was also suggesting that it's a two way street, and that I for one have noticed the change, even if no one else has. Possibly because I think that maybe I'm one of the people she was talking about.

Maybe not though. In any case, I am impressed that MTP could write something like this. It takes a lot of inner strength to let go of preconcieved notions and see someone for who they really are.

wolf 04-20-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 724236)

You afraid that Anthony is going to wish you into the cornfield or something?

morethanpretty 04-20-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 724545)
You didn't notice that MTP used that exact phrase in her OP? Aside from my humourous intent, I was also suggesting that it's a two way street, and that I for one have noticed the change, even if no one else has. Possibly because I think that maybe I'm one of the people she was talking about.

Maybe not though. In any case, I am impressed that MTP could write something like this. It takes a lot of inner strength to let go of preconcieved notions and see someone for who they really are.

I never thought for a second that there would not be people on this board with a bad opinion of me. I have been at odds with people at times, so that is bound to happen. I'm not trying to insist they get rid of those conceptions, I'm just letting y'all know I'm trying to get rid of mine.
I think people can be honest without being mean or personally attacking another person.
Thank you Ali for for rethinking your opinion of me.
Pico, thank you for taking a stand for me, you're right, Ali's comment could have been interpreted as insulting, but I'm not.

Flint 04-20-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 724236)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 724886)
You afraid that Anthony is going to wish you into the cornfield or something?

:::chortle:::

footfootfoot 04-20-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 723801)
Nobody liked me when I joined here, but I didn't let it hurt my feelings. I think Elspode was the only person who even said "give him a chance"...

"OK Flint, what's the Capitol of New York?"
"N"
"Give Flint another chance, give Flint another chance"
"OK Flint, What is 5 + 5?"
"7"
"OK Flint, how do you spell troll?"
"T-R-O-L-L"

Aliantha 04-20-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 724888)
I never thought for a second that there would not be people on this board with a bad opinion of me. I have been at odds with people at times, so that is bound to happen. I'm not trying to insist they get rid of those conceptions, I'm just letting y'all know I'm trying to get rid of mine.
I think people can be honest without being mean or personally attacking another person.
Thank you Ali for for rethinking your opinion of me.
Pico, thank you for taking a stand for me, you're right, Ali's comment could have been interpreted as insulting, but I'm not.

Yeah, I've looked at it again, and it could have been insulting, so I'm glad you didn't take it that way, because I certainly didn't want it to seem that way.

Maybe it's the way my sense of humour works or something else, but it seems that some people don't get it. I'm sorry for that. I'll try to just be serious instead...although, the same poster has accused me of taking myself too seriously and so I started trying to lighten up a bit, but that poster is still not happy. I guess that means that some people are just never going to be happy, so they can go fuck themselves, and I'll just be me. :)

TheMercenary 04-20-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 725040)
I guess that means that some people are just never going to be happy, so they can go fuck themselves, and I'll just be me. :)

:thumb:

skysidhe 04-20-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 723882)

BECAUSE.....of this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 724109)

Let's be friends. ;)

You did offer friendship. In light of the good, it is easy to assume, no harm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 724237)

YOU is such a funny word

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 724545)
In any case, I am impressed that MTP could write something like this. It takes a lot of inner strength to let go of preconcieved notions and see someone for who they really are.

This was a very cool thing to say.

Using the word YOU instead of casting a wider net doesn't diminish the other very awesome supportive things you said.

I am sure mtp understood it to be a oversight, besides, one persons faux pas is another persons humor.

morethanpretty 04-20-2011 09:18 PM

I'm sure, just like Ali, Pico meant no harm either in her comment. Pico did apologize for maybe jumping the gun a bit. Although I can see why she saw things the way she did. I already said I understood.

Pico and ME 04-20-2011 10:59 PM

Thank you mtp.

morethanpretty 04-20-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 725145)
Thank you mtp.

No problem.

Aliantha 04-21-2011 01:26 AM

I wasn't offended by what you said Pico. I certainly wasn't refering to you in the post afterwards either. In fact, as a poster I think you're pretty cool although we've had very little interaction. Maybe I should do something to change that. :)

Let's be friends? ;)