The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sept 18, 2010: Hosni Jumps Ahead (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23585)

xoxoxoBruce 09-18-2010 12:06 AM

Sept 18, 2010: Hosni Jumps Ahead

This is a picture of the major players at the Mid-East Peace talks, taken at the White House.
Egypt’s president, Hosni Mubarak, is on your left.

http://cellar.org/2010/Hosni1.jpg

But when the picture was published in Al Ahram, owned by the Egyptian government, Hosni Mubarak has jumped ahead.

http://cellar.org/2010/hosni2.jpg

The jig is up...
Quote:

As The Lede explained on Thursday, an Egyptian blogger had noticed and publicized the fact that the newspaper had manipulated a news photograph in a way that seemed to flatter Mr. Mubarak without informing readers that the image was not real.
But, but, but...
Quote:

Ossama Saraya, the editor of Al Ahram, Egypt’s oldest daily, argued in an editorial that the altered photograph “was meant to be expressive,” of what he called, “the precise political position of President Mubarak” in the quest for peace in the Middle East, the independent Egyptian newspaper Al Masry Al Youm reported. The editor defended the image as an expression of Mr. Mubarak’s “unique role in leading” the talks.
No harm, no foul, just a silly embarrassment, methinks. :)

link

zippyt 09-18-2010 12:10 AM

I Call HAGGIS !!!

Its Shoped , Thus its SHIT !!!!

Lamplighter 09-18-2010 01:48 AM

Not necessarily shopped.
Except for Netanyahu, the arm positions of each man has changed.
They could have simply changed positions between two pics.

xoxoxoBruce 09-18-2010 02:20 AM

Did you read the fucking link?
Did you read the op?

Lamplighter 09-18-2010 09:32 AM

No, I didn't know I was supposed to. :smack:
Again, I'll try to do better next time. :sniff:

Adak 09-18-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 683129)
I Call HAGGIS !!! Thus its SHIT !!!!

My sentiments EXACTLY on Haggis! :eek::mad:HAGGIS :mad::eek:

Politicians are always great posers - but poor comics. Their jokes are always "on us". :(

Diaphone Jim 09-18-2010 12:10 PM

Bruce, temper! Tsk, tsk.
I think it is obvious that a photograph was modified (is Photoshop the only way?) to place Mubarak in a more attactive light.
It just wasn't the top photo that was changed, but another one a step away.

Cloud 09-18-2010 12:22 PM

this is a horrible parody of a "free" press.

the arm positions aren't the same, because everyone has been reversed. look at the angle of the ties.

Flint 09-18-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 683237)
the arm positions aren't the same, because everyone has been reversed. look at the angle of the ties.

You need to hone your "looking" skills. There is one due with a "reversed" looking tie. Look at his legs.

Cloud 09-18-2010 12:29 PM

that's what it looks like to me; several of the guys are definitely reversed

Flint 09-18-2010 12:31 PM

Are we looking at the same thing ???

Cloud 09-18-2010 12:41 PM

perhaps not; unimportant, really anyhow

Flint 09-18-2010 12:45 PM

I demand several more posts on this specific subject! You go next.

spudcon 09-18-2010 03:39 PM

several more posts on this specific subject!:p:

xoxoxoBruce 09-18-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 683235)
Bruce, temper! Tsk, tsk.
I think it is obvious that a photograph was modified (is Photoshop the only way?) to place Mubarak in a more attactive light.
It just wasn't the top photo that was changed, but another one a step away.

Tsk tsk my ass, "shopped" means altered photograph, by any method.
In both the original post, and the link, Al Ahram clearly, succinctly, irrevocably, stated the photograph had been altered by them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 683237)
this is a horrible parody of a "free" press.

Al Ahram is owned by the Egyptian government.

Gravdigr 09-18-2010 04:36 PM

sigh :neutral:

Cloud 09-18-2010 08:48 PM

yes, I realize it's a state-owned and controlled publication. And to Flint:

LOOK!

(Flint looks around. Cloud gooses Flint and dances away!)

Flint 09-18-2010 10:54 PM

I let you do that on purpose.

Cloud 09-18-2010 11:09 PM

<fun!>

and you're right, btw

SPUCK 09-19-2010 02:31 AM

I think this should never have come up. I think our Prez was being a callous a-hole, a clueless noob, or an egotistical dork, in the first picture.

The entire negotiations are about people working together to solve very tough issues. Him parading along like the "leader" with a bunch of servants following along was a very poor way to reinforce the entire "working together" aspect. It was bound to cause exactly these types of petty distractions. :(

xoxoxoBruce 09-19-2010 08:57 AM

You don't herd cats, you have to lead them.

Undertoad 09-19-2010 09:18 AM

Spuck, it's actually orchestrated to be that way! They figure out who will walk where so there won't be any confusion if Mubarak walks first.

spudcon 09-19-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUCK (Post 683338)
I think this should never have come up. I think our Prez was being a callous a-hole, a clueless noob, or an egotistical dork, in the first picture.

The entire negotiations are about people working together to solve very tough issues. Him parading along like the "leader" with a bunch of servants following along was a very poor way to reinforce the entire "working together" aspect. It was bound to cause exactly these types of petty distractions. :(

Yes.

Juniper 09-20-2010 12:58 AM

This is far from being a new phenomenon. Been going on for decades.

classicman 09-20-2010 07:54 AM

Oh, its ok then. To me its another subtle way the media shapes the information we get.

Spexxvet 09-20-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 683432)
Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 683463)
Oh, its ok then. To me its another subtle way the media shapes the information we get.

I'm sure that the state department sets it up that way, not Obama or the media. As the leader of the host country, Obama should lead the way. But really, it's Bush's fault.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hite_House.jpg
http://cdn.wn.com/pd/1d/6a/8fd9a4896...1e4_grande.jpg
http://www.nato.int/pictures/2004/040329/b040329j.jpg
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200801/r215529_837253.jpg

Elspode 09-20-2010 05:55 PM

The subconscious perception is that the person in front is more important than everyone else...after all, *they* aren't first. That's going to be pretty unacceptable in many countries.

spudcon 09-20-2010 08:33 PM

Actually, who cares? They all look like a bag of crooks anyway. Damn politicians.

Pico and ME 09-20-2010 10:31 PM

lol...that was funny

Happy Monkey 09-21-2010 11:58 AM

Doesn't host country always go first?

I can't see everyone walking abreast. It would look like a chorus line.

classicman 09-21-2010 12:37 PM

Is this even worth discussing? really?

Spexxvet 09-21-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 683843)
Is this even worth discussing? really?

ask

Quote:

Coign 09-21-2010 01:22 PM

Ah good. We got the "Blame Bush" argument in there. I was afraid that would get missed. :rolleyes:

Do you really think the Republican and Democrat party is different? How has Obama given us "Hope and Change"? By spending us out of debt? Has he done anything better than Bush?

Gah, vote 'em all out. We need a clean sweep in all of Washington. Just make sure you are voting for someone who has a record of fixing things. People voted for Obama because he preached change without looking at his history and we ended up with another political puppet that made things worse.

Pico and ME 09-21-2010 01:28 PM

Damn, relax a little.

He just put Bush in there as counter example to show that all presidents do it.

sheesh

(Course the way Spud backpedaled was priceless.)

classicman 09-21-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 683891)
(Course the way Spud backpedaled was priceless.)

Yeh kinda like how every democrat is backpedaling on the healthcare reform they voted for :thumbsup:

They are all crooks unlike some who still hope their party isn't and that maybe things will change.

Pico and ME 09-21-2010 02:44 PM

This isnt the word association thread.

classicman 09-21-2010 02:50 PM

You're right - those words really don't associate with reality.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Have a blessed day.

Spexxvet 09-21-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 683914)
Yeh kinda like how every democrat is backpedaling on the healthcare reform they voted for :thumbsup:

:facepalm:

classicman 09-21-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

lol...that was funny
I agree

spudcon 09-21-2010 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way,
From your first cigarette, to your last dying day."

spudcon 09-21-2010 08:04 PM

P.S. I wasn't back pedalling. I still say Yes. A very partisan statement for all you Obama sycophants out there.

Pete Zicato 09-21-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 684010)
P.S. I wasn't back pedalling. I still say Yes. A very partisan statement for all you Obama sycophants out there.

Ok. You made me look up 'sycophant'.

And now I'll add that this is exactly the sort of inflammatory language that turns me off of the current crop of Republicans and Republican supporters. It used to be that Republicans were pro-small-government. I could buy into that. Now they're just anti-just-about-everything-except-big-business. And they're really into hate and anger. That's not for me.

spudcon 09-22-2010 07:33 AM

Sycophant isn't inflamatory if you ain't one. Having said that, anyone who defends a conservative or a republican is bound to be called hateful, intolerant. bigoted, homophobic, or in bed with big business. Here in the cellar I've been called worse. That's what happens when you don't follow the tolerant politically correct crowd. Try saying something good about Sarah Palin running for President, and watch the hate and scorn pour down on you.

Spexxvet 09-22-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 684066)
Having said that, anyone who defends a conservative or a republican is bound to be called hateful, intolerant. bigoted, homophobic, or in bed with big business.

With all due respect, isn't that what conservatives are. You, yourself, say
Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 684066)
when you don't follow the tolerant politically correct crowd.

Aren't conservatives apposed to DADT and same gender marriage? Don't you support a person's right to refuse to treat minorities the same as s/he treats whites? Don't you endorse subjugating workers and trashing the environment in the name of expanded profits?

classicman 09-22-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 684070)
With all due respect, isn't that what conservatives are. You, yourself, say

Aren't conservatives apposed to DADT and same gender marriage? Don't you support a person's right to refuse to treat minorities the same as s/he treats whites? Don't you endorse subjugating workers and trashing the environment in the name of expanded profits?

Not all conservatives - not at all.

You consistently confuse "republican" with "conservative"
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

Shawnee123 09-22-2010 09:47 AM

What's the point of calling yourself a conservative if you don't adhere to conservative values?

If it doesn't walk like a duck and doesn't quack like a duck, then it's not a duck.

I'm going to start calling myself conservative. I'm against the death penalty, I'm for rights for women, rights for minorities, I think our health care system needs reformed. I'm pro-choice. I'm agnostic. I'm a hippy.

BUT I'm a conservative, dammit.

Maybe you need another word, or fall off the fence.

Spexxvet 09-22-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 684113)
Not all conservatives - not at all.

You consistently confuse "republican" with "conservative"
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9774/repubconserv.png

Shawnee123 09-22-2010 09:50 AM

:lol2:

classicman 09-22-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 684122)
conservative values?

Please define some of them for me.

Shawnee123 09-22-2010 11:26 AM

*shrugs*

You're Mr Conservative, you tell me.

Or are you a moderate today? I can't remember the schedule.

Regardless, I hear a lot from republicans about conservative values and my very favorite "it doesn't even freaking mean anything" word regurgitation about things being 'unamerican.' There was a lot of 'unamerican' being thrown around about the mosque debate.

WTF is 'unamerican'? I need a definition for that one! Disamerican? Nonamerican? Inamerican?

I need the official unabridged Rush dictionary. The entry for 'unamerican' probably follows 'ampersand.'

:lol:

HungLikeJesus 09-22-2010 12:15 PM

I've always wondered, what are conservatives conserving?

classicman 09-22-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 684122)
What's the point of calling yourself a conservative if you don't adhere to conservative values?

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman
Please define some of them for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 684165)
*shrugs* :lol:

Good discourse.

Shawnee123 09-22-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 684181)
I've always wondered, what are conservatives conserving?

Brain power.

Shawnee123 09-22-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 684186)
Good discourse.

[groucho]you should see my intercourse[/groucho] :lol2:

Who me? No, it was him? I never said that. Who said that.

Thanks, though. When you add in the rest of the post the discourse says "you tell me: it's your party who bitches about people not adhering to conservative american values." You. Tell. Me. You say you're a conservative (like I said, I'm confused as to what you're leaning to on any particular day) yet you tell spexx that all conservatives are not all conservative. What in the heck do you mean?

You're either conservative or not. Maybe you're a liberalomodoconservatavo, but if you are just say so. Don't hide behind your conservative curtain then say you're not conservative.

I listed those things that make me a conservative (oh, in case you didn't get the joke, I really listed the things I think make me a liberal.) So let's hear what YOU believe in that you think makes you conservative. There are no wrong or right answers. What do YOU think makes YOU conservative?

The fence, doesn't it chafe?

HungLikeJesus 09-22-2010 12:37 PM

I think the problem is that most of us don't really fit in one category.

I don't think there is a fence.

classicman 09-22-2010 12:37 PM

I don't belong to either party, I'm an independent.
Hence all your immature arrogant comments, as usual, don't apply.

You made the accusation, now back it up.

classicman 09-22-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 684190)
I think the problem is that most of us don't really fit in one category.

I don't think there is a fence.

Oh I disagree - I'm on the fence on many issues, if not most.

There are too many sheep who attach a label to themselves and say this is what I believe because I am a (insert choice here)
They confuse terminology like conservative and republican or liberal and democrat. All they can do is regurgitate that which they are told.
Sad really, because many of them, from both parties, are actually rather intelligent people with an apparent blind spot.

Shawnee123 09-22-2010 12:47 PM

So I'm asking you, the expert, what about you makes you conservative? You can't answer the question. You're looking for the right thing to say, but you don't know. My comment came from your party, the king of regurgitation: conservative american values. I don't know what they are, but I bet I don't have them. So what are they? You purport to know of them. You use conservatism when it's convenient, when it backs up whatever you have a problem with at the time, then you turn your back on it when you're faced with defining the truth about conservatism, and the truth about who you are. Be honest. Be who you are. Give me an honest statement about what makes you conservative, or whatever you're backing today. Believe me, I'm not the biggest sheep around here, not by a long shot.

YOU HAVE A UNIQUE CHANCE TO, ONCE AND FOR ALL, TELL US WHAT IT IS YOU REALLY STAND FOR. If I'm wrong, you're not conservative, tell me now and let's end it, once and for all.

btw "sheep" and "immature, arrogant comments" sounds like insult to me.

You're not insulting me, are you? I'll cry and get you banned.

classicman 09-22-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 684195)
I don't know what they are

Gee was it really so hard to admit that?

Quote:

So I'm asking you, the expert
I'm not an expert, never claimed to be.
Quote:

"Immature, arrogant comments" sounds like insult to me.
Just returning the favor.
Quote:

You're not insulting me, are you? I'll cry and get you banned.
Go for it.

Shawnee123 09-22-2010 12:53 PM

Typical.

Business as usual for the c-man.