The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Narcolepsy (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20881)

yourmeantome 08-20-2009 04:52 PM

Narcolepsy

Hey everyone I figured I would talk about Narcolepsy. I was just recently diagnosed with the condition and I am in the stage of treatment of getting my medication balanced. I will not lie I am a bit scared. Gun and Bullets don’t bother me, been shot at and blown up, but the idea of taking Provigil does.
So far I have had the common side effects, but there is one effect that is not really listed. I honestly feel like I am on flying my mind never stops working, in-fact most of the time I am working on my site that is when I hit the most creative spots when I am on the medication. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who has taken this, who can share their experiences with the medication or just Narcolepsy.

TheMercenary 08-20-2009 05:38 PM

I have taken it on and off for about 2 years. It works for me. Mine is related to taking it for work so I don't know if they way it effects me would be the same as for you. It does what it is suppose to do for me. But I do not and have not taken it every day on end, only when I need it.

ZenGum 08-21-2009 12:14 AM

He doesn't have narcolepsy, he's just gold bricking.

Get it? Fort Knox ... gold bricks ...

sorry.

Just (attempted) kidding YMTM, I believe you, no offense meant etc.

Narcolepsy could be a serious problem, especially if you are in the military. I am presuming you are - is that correct?

yourmeantome 08-21-2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 589107)
He doesn't have narcolepsy, he's just gold bricking.

Get it? Fort Knox ... gold bricks ...

sorry.

Just (attempted) kidding YMTM, I believe you, no offense meant etc.

Narcolepsy could be a serious problem, especially if you are in the military. I am presuming you are - is that correct?

HAHA do not worry no offense taken. It really is a serious problem, I can barely drive the trucks, and I cant stay awake on guard duty.

Sundae 08-21-2009 05:53 AM

I have claimed to have narcolepsy for years.
Not seriously, of course.
But I use it as a benchmark as to whether people have the same sense of humour as me...

I know it's a serious and debilitating condition in real life.
Hope you find more people to discuss this with.

Griff 08-21-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourmeantome (Post 589115)
... I cant stay awake on guard duty.

*calls Danny Ocean*

TheMercenary 08-21-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 589107)

No I don't. The med is prescribed for other uses.

Shawnee123 08-21-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum
No I don't. The med is prescribed for other uses

Huh?

xoxoxoBruce 08-21-2009 09:51 AM

Merc thought Zen's response to Mean, was for him.

Shawnee123 08-21-2009 09:52 AM

Well it still doesn't make sense. ;)

TheMercenary 08-21-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 589175)
Merc thought Zen's response to Mean, was for him.

Tru dat. How could I tell?

monster 08-21-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 589197)
Tru dat. How could I tell?

becasue he used his name before the question?

TheMercenary 08-21-2009 12:03 PM

that is what I get for skipping over YMTM as having any real meaning to the discussion. My bad.

monster 08-21-2009 12:51 PM

heehee I think Zen can't bring himself to type yourmeantome -it goes agaiant his grammar-nazi streak :lol:

Cicero 08-21-2009 07:58 PM

I started a sleep disorder thread some time back. Though I do not have narcolepsy I do have empathy for people suffering from sleep disorders because there are really few answers, as there is still little known about what causes some of these conditions. I am glad you have decided to take meds if they help in some way.

I remember reading that there are three types of narcolepsy- and some types are more extreme the others. What type are you? What is your side-effect? Do you feel high?

ZenGum 08-21-2009 09:00 PM

Well, I'm glad we sorted that out, cause Merc's post confused the heck out of me too.

I will adopt (I think it was Monster's) reading of Your Mean Tome. It works for me.

I had a student who missed tutes due to a form of narcolepsy, she didn't drop off suddenly, but could simply fail to wake up, sometimes for days. She would eventually wake, starving hungry, dehydrated, generally feeling shit.
Still, narcolepsy + guard duty = problem.

lumberjim 08-21-2009 11:38 PM

the most important thing about narcolepsy is

.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Agent-G 08-23-2009 05:59 PM

I grew up with a good friend of mine who had it. Everyone always thought he was some huge pothead because he had the look and he would nod off. He was dignosed earily, so it was something he always delt with. He used the medication when needed, which wasnt always. He tried to stay away from driving at night and knew when not to drive.

I think Hollywood blows the disease out of proportion. With the cases I have seen, it is more of a lethargic feeling then passing out all the time.

My friend did great on the medication, but didnt rely on it. He knew he had narcolepsy and he didnt let it inhibit him. I think that is the main thing.

yourmeantome 08-24-2009 01:49 PM

I won’t say I love the medication, because of the fact I do not fall asleep. I used to fall asleep in mid conversation, or as soon as the movie would start. It used to really annoy anyone I was dating at that time. I still drive at night, but I am more careful and always take ways where I can sleep safely, or get a hotel.

xoxoxoBruce 08-25-2009 02:13 AM

Oh sure... "Sorry Baby, I feel a Narcolepsy attack coming on, we have to get a motel room." What a line. :lol2:

yourmeantome 08-25-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 589928)
Oh sure... "Sorry Baby, I feel a Narcolepsy attack coming on, we have to get a motel room." What a line. :lol2:

Hey it works, even on the first dates!

Shawnee123 08-25-2009 09:03 AM

Ya know, I never understood the sex with corpses thing, but to each his own I guess.

yeah I'm kidding

yourmeantome 08-25-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 589969)
Ya know, I never understood the sex with corpses thing, but to each his own I guess.

yeah I'm kidding

Haha, Its really bad when you fall asleep durring it, I always just said my x was boring...

classicman 08-25-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 589969)

yeah I'm kidding

You mean you DO understand it??? :bolt:

Shawnee123 08-25-2009 03:24 PM

You been off takin' funny lessons, funny man? :lol:

yourmeantome 08-25-2009 10:37 PM

All I gotta say is HAHAHAHA