The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Motorcycle owners (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13668)

TheMercenary 03-25-2007 12:20 PM

Motorcycle owners

Anyone out there ride? What do you ride? When? How often?

skysidhe 03-25-2007 08:50 PM

I used to! It was a little on/off road dirt bike. Sorry that's all I got.

Ibby 03-25-2007 09:12 PM

My dream bike?

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/st...ple%20rain.jpg

TheMercenary 03-25-2007 09:13 PM

Very cool guys. I just got back into it after no riding for 20 years or so. It is great fun. I was just wondering if anyone else was riding.

xoxoxoBruce 03-25-2007 09:28 PM

Nope, not going back to it.....too damn dangerous these days, between piss poor roads and inattentive drivers. :headshake

TheMercenary 03-25-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 326439)
inattentive drivers. :headshake

Ain't that the truth!

Beestie 03-25-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 326439)
Nope, not going back to it.....too damn dangerous these days

I want a bike so bad - I rode in High School - but they are suicide. I hear so many stories. Just one thing I have to learn to do without.

Perry Winkle 03-26-2007 12:00 AM

After I finish my bike ride, buying and learning to ride a motorcycle is next on my agenda. I'm thinking something big and loud with an upright riding position would be appropriate.

BrianR 03-26-2007 12:13 AM

I ride as well. I am between bikes at the moment but I plan on buying another bike, probably a Shadow or something like that. I'm a metric cruiser man, although I would not turn up my nose at a Harley if I were to win one in a contest. I cannot afford to buy one just yet.

Brian

tw 03-26-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant (Post 326473)
I'm thinking something big and loud with an upright riding position would be appropriate.

English, western, or side-saddle?

Perry Winkle 03-26-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 326487)
English, western, or side-saddle?

bare-back :P

Clodfobble 03-26-2007 10:48 AM

My dad rode in high school and college, then one day completely by coincidence he was on campus and witnessed an accident between a car and another motorcycle rider. He watched the guy's legs get cut off, right there in front of him. Sold his bike that day and hasn't ridden one since.

Of course it's possible this story was embellished to encourage his children never to ride a motorcycle.

TheMercenary 03-26-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR (Post 326475)
I ride as well. I am between bikes at the moment but I plan on buying another bike, probably a Shadow or something like that. I'm a metric cruiser man, although I would not turn up my nose at a Harley if I were to win one in a contest. I cannot afford to buy one just yet.

Brian

Mine: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Galler...ry=630&Media=1

xoxoxoBruce 03-27-2007 08:49 PM

Very nice.

Bullitt 03-27-2007 09:11 PM

I'm toying with the idea of getting a bike this summer, suggestions for a solid learner that won't puss out on me?
I want something with steel, not those ugly street bikes that look like wasps from the front.

TheMercenary 03-27-2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt (Post 327155)
I'm toying with the idea of getting a bike this summer, suggestions for a solid learner that won't puss out on me?
I want something with steel, not those ugly street bikes that look like wasps from the front.

1. Take the Motorcycle Safety course given my your state DMV before you buy.

2. join this site to learn stuff, esp in the newbies section and saftey sections. motorcyle-usa.com

Bullitt 03-28-2007 07:28 AM

Thanks! :thumb:

loTEK911 03-28-2007 09:32 AM

Now here's a thread near an dear to me! My old man rides. A Kawasaki Concorse. Sport-tour. Does a 2 to 3 week trip every summer. Been trying to get a bike for years so i can ride wit him. Heh! Even took th riding coures 4 years ago! Well, finally got my baby last spring. A 2003 kawasaki zr7. yellow an black sport-standard. spent all last summer toolin round relearnin how to ride. I love it! It's like zen! Meditation! You spend so much attention making sure nobody kills you, you ave no space for life's bullshit! clearest my mind has been in years! Be out on two wheels nxt week weather permitting. Can't wait!

TheMercenary 03-28-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loTEK911 (Post 327304)
Now here's a thread near an dear to me! My old man rides. A Kawasaki Concorse. Sport-tour. Does a 2 to 3 week trip every summer. Been trying to get a bike for years so i can ride wit him. Heh! Even took th riding coures 4 years ago! Well, finally got my baby last spring. A 2003 kawasaki zr7. yellow an black sport-standard. spent all last summer toolin round relearnin how to ride. I love it! It's like zen! Meditation! You spend so much attention making sure nobody kills you, you ave no space for life's bullshit! clearest my mind has been in years! Be out on two wheels nxt week weather permitting. Can't wait!

hey come on over to motorcycle-usa.com, it is a great community and I have learned so much here. The mother site is really a bike test place. It is where I learned about mine before I bought it. There are some really experienced people here. At the the top of the threads, General, Newbies, Safety, and Daily Driver are some awsome links to info that every rider should read. Good luck, hope to see you there, ride safe.:blunt:

loTEK911 03-29-2007 06:21 AM

Address copied. I'll check it out. Ty! Love to ride. don't wanna die doin it! Too many pretty girls in this world I ain't met!:D All knowledge is good!

brentrobe 04-02-2007 06:01 AM

I ride a 05' Harley Fatboy. Nothing's better!

Kitsune 04-02-2007 08:41 AM

My dad used to ride, but stopped the day he was on his way home from the grocery store with a watermelon strapped to the back of his bike and got into an accident. As he was laying the bike down on the road, he turned in time to see the watermelon tumble off and explode under the tires of a passing semi. The bike was sold the next day.

It has been my dream to ride (touring bike -- drool), but dad always said that if I get a bike he'll kill me before it does. Seeing the drivers around here, I'd hold him to it -- there's no way it is sane to ride in town around here.

wolf 04-02-2007 10:27 AM

I am intimidated by motorcycles.

In fact, I am more intimidated by motorcycles than I am of heights and fire, but less intimidated than by Hillary Clinton being President.

xoxoxoBruce 04-02-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentrobe (Post 329552)
I ride a 05' Harley Fatboy. Nothing's better!

Ah, Sheldon would like to have a word with you.

Just kidding, welcome to the Cellar, bentrobe. :D

A friend just picked up this Fatboy in Daytona, less than 10k miles, for I think he said $14k.
His wife, who had sold her white with pink flames 883, declared she wanted one too, but he told her Harley doesn't make Fatgirls.

Glad he really likes the bike..... he's gonna be sleeping with it for awhile.

TheMercenary 04-02-2007 07:25 PM

Bruce, that is areally nice looking bike.

xoxoxoBruce 04-05-2007 09:48 PM

It was a step up. He'd been riding this one since he built it in 1973. Couple paint jobs (always flames) but no front brake till about 3 years ago.
We don't call him Kong for nothing.

loTEK911 04-13-2007 09:54 PM

Well, my baby's almost ready to ride! Had to replace the rear tire. Picked up a screw last fall. Just ave to remount the wheel, oil the drive chain, and give her a bath. Now it's gotta stop raining! Btw, thanks Merc, for the web site. Got some good advise for removing rust from the brake disks. Also got scolded for allowing the rust to happen, but there's a high horse asshat in every group. No worries!

tissy_uk 04-14-2007 04:22 AM

I always said that i would get my bike licence as a treat for passing my car test. Have since decided that cars are not for me. So just waiting for my little girl to grow up a bit, say 2 or 3 years then I'm going for it. My dad is a biker, but poor sos had 4 girls, not a single lad to follow in his footsteps so he gotta make do with me. I'm soo excited just thinking about getting a bike, it's what i've wanted for years

HungLikeJesus 04-14-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loTEK911 (Post 333748)
Well, my baby's almost ready to ride! Had to replace the rear tire. Picked up a screw last fall. Just ave to remount the wheel, oil the drive chain, and give her a bath. Now it's gotta stop raining! Btw, thanks Merc, for the web site. Got some good advise for removing rust from the brake disks. Also got scolded for allowing the rust to happen, but there's a high horse asshat in every group. No worries!

If you spray the break disk with WD40 it won't rust, plus you'll have instant ABS.:greenface

loTEK911 04-15-2007 08:44 AM

Heh! wd40 on a break disk? yeah. like i said. there is an asshat in every group.

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loTEK911 (Post 333917)
Heh! wd40 on a break disk? yeah. like i said. there is an asshat in every group.

loTEK911, either you have your smilies or your sense of humor disabled.

tissy_uk 04-15-2007 04:32 PM

http://images.net3media.com/funnyfre...anny_rider.jpg

loTEK911 04-17-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 333930)
loTEK911, either you have your smilies or your sense of humor disabled.

Not at all Sir! I was smiling when I typed that! Remember, you flipped first. It would be rude of me not to respond! And for the record, asshat is a term of endearment to me and mine. Thats what I call my roommate and best friend of 15 years. Particularly when he sez something kinda dumb. ;) Folk gotta realize not everybody is out em!

HungLikeJesus 04-18-2007 08:47 AM

I have a 1989 Honda Transalp and a 1990 Honda Hawk GT, which both have chain drive. I was riding the Transalp from Michigan to Nevada with friends who were all on BMWs (shaft drive, of course). I should have checked the wind direction when I sprayed my chain with WD40, because the GS parked next to me had anti-lock breaks for the next few days.