The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Faux News Blames the Dems, or Foley's Follies (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11932)

Hippikos 10-04-2006 04:04 AM

Faux News Blames the Dems, or Foley's Follies

Former Congressman Foley turned overnight into a Democrat is as soon as this child protector turned into a child predator. Lucky business?

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/3/Foley_dem.jpg

Flint 10-04-2006 08:24 AM

When will the liberal freedom-haters stop attacking the fine Fox network with these libelous allegations?! Have the terrorists won?!

Griff 10-04-2006 08:38 AM

C'mon it was an honest mistake, he looks like a Dem in that picture. :)

Spexxvet 10-04-2006 08:40 AM

Goddamn liberal media bias!

Pangloss62 10-04-2006 08:57 AM

D

You don't really think that people would just see that (D-FL) and just assume it was correct, do you? :neutral:

Americans are some of the most savvy, well-read, well-informed, and dedicated voters in the world!

BigV 10-04-2006 09:51 AM

:lol: *wipes tear from eye* You're kidding me, right? You didn't just pshop that in there, right? Slick job, too, I like how you evoked the curvature of the screen in the straight edges of the "D". They didn't really do that did they?

OF COURSE the regular viewers of FauxNews will believe the caption. Innocent mistake or slimeball dirty trick? They report, we decide.

I've made my decision.

Happy Monkey 10-04-2006 10:18 AM

It's real.

BigV 10-04-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
It's real.

Yeah, I know it's "real"ly on the screen, "real"ly broadcast that way. Do you care to answer my last question?

Happy Monkey 10-04-2006 11:44 AM

I think it's a tasteless "joke". Like the taunting messages on the FOXNews building during the Republican Convention in NYC.

Elspode 10-04-2006 02:40 PM

I think they're all worried about their BS jobs when the Republitheocracy Bandwagon finally runs off the cliff in flames and explodes on the jagged rocks below. People are starting to see the end of the party coming, and they don't want to just get their coats and leave quietly; instead, they're milling about looking to steal some of the silverware and the Q's off of the computer keyboards. :worried:

Flint 10-04-2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
...the Q's off of the computer keyboards.

No worries here. They just need to get 1337er.

Elspode 10-04-2006 05:01 PM

I just noticed how round dude's mouth is. I think that's a pretty sound indictment. :cool:

I think it is just such a shame when a good, solid Republican is led astray by the Godless Liberals and their child molesting ways. How did the Democrats infiltrate the Republican Party so easily with their pedophilic spy?

headsplice 10-04-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
I just noticed how round dude's mouth is. I think that's a pretty sound indictment. :cool:

I think it is just such a shame when a good, solid Republican is led astray by the Godless Liberals and their child molesting ways. How did the Democrats infiltrate the Republican Party so easily with their pedophilic spy?

Because he fit right in?

tw 10-04-2006 06:27 PM

I thought he blamed alcohol for his discretions. Why did he do that? Alcohol did not do anything. It is innocent. Why would he drag alcohol into his fiasco? Leave alcohol alone. Alcohol did not make those advances.

I hate it when the innocent get blamed.

Happy Monkey 10-04-2006 06:33 PM

He blamed alcohol, gayness, and Catholic clergy. But he is not making excuses.

But he'll be OK after 30 days in rehab.

tw 10-04-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
He blamed alcohol, gayness, and Catholic clergy. But he is not making excuses.

But he'll be OK after 30 days in rehab.

Oh the technical miracles that modern politics can perform these days. Clearly we are the world's leaders in all sciences - that Fox News studies.

richlevy 10-04-2006 08:15 PM

Yes, the misidentification of Foley as a Democrat and not a Republican was real.
It was just mentioned on Countdown and now Huffington's site.

Quote:

It's just a misplaced letter, but what a misplaced letter: Swapping a "D" for an "R" last night, Fox News and "The O'Reilly Factor" labeled disgraced pedophile Congressman Mark Foley, longtime Republican, as a Democrat. Courtesy of TVNewser, here's a clip; apparently it happened a number of times over the course of the broadcast, though they deleted the reference for the rerun (which, let's face it, still gets plenty of viewers). As O'Reilly railed against Foley and his actions — entirely appropriately, and as he has done previously — the visual message to his viewers was that the perpetrator of these heinous crimes against children was a Democrat. This comes at a time when Republicans are desperately fighting the perception that they permissively allowed Foley to go about his business (and his "business") on the hill, and that they are no longer the party of upright moral values.

Elspode 10-04-2006 10:14 PM

All he has to do is accept Jesus as his personal savior, and he can run for President.

Spexxvet 10-05-2006 08:37 AM

It's just typical right-wing conservative sleaze.

Undertoad 10-05-2006 08:47 AM

Josh Marshall finds the Associated Press doing the same thing

...and several newspapers carry the information verbatim!

http://cellar.org/2006/AP_FoleyDemocrat.gif

The fix is in! It's systematic right-wing brainwashing propagandizing in all media at all levels!

Or it could just be simple mistakes.

Flint 10-05-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
The fix is in! It's systematic right-wing brainwashing propagandizing in all media at all levels!

Reality is a little more nuanced than that. "Black and White" statements raise a "Red Flag"

Spexxvet 10-05-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

...Or it could just be simple mistakes.

The idea that this could be a mistake is just plain bombastic! This is Karl Rove pressuring media outlets to knuckle under to the Flint shadow government. :p The conspiracy is linked to big oil, which is lowering prices in an attempt to raise W's approval rating before the elections.:worried:

Hippikos 10-05-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Josh Marshall finds the Associated Press doing the same thing

...and several newspapers carry the information verbatim!

Ueber-Spinmeister Rove must behind it all. If you keep on showing it, people might believe it at the end...

How long will it take until the Pigboat Veterans for Truth will be showing up telling it's all the fault of the pages?

BigV 10-05-2006 10:18 AM

Yep, it's the Dems fault. And fmr Prez Clinton is working his hoodooo from the bench. :lol:

Hastert blames Democrats for widening scandal surrounding Foley

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Hastert
"The people who want to see this thing blow up are ABC News and a lot of Democratic operatives, people funded by George Soros."

He went on to suggest that operatives aligned with former President Bill Clinton knew about the allegations and were perhaps behind the disclosures in the closing weeks before the Nov. 7 midterm elections, but he offered no hard proof.

"All I know is what I hear and what I see," the speaker said. "I saw Bill Clinton's adviser, Richard Morris, was saying these guys knew about this all along. If somebody had this info, when they had it, we could have dealt with it then."

Spexxvet 10-05-2006 10:24 AM

I wish those Democrats would stop politicizing gay pedophilia. It's hard work former Rep Foley (R-FL) is doing.....hard work....

Flint 10-05-2006 10:24 AM

I just knew it was really CLINTON behind this all along!

Happy Monkey 10-05-2006 11:10 AM

Dick Morris hasn't been a Democrat in years.

Flint 10-05-2006 11:14 AM

Happy Monkey hates freedom.

Shawnee123 10-05-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
Happy Monkey hates freedom.

And if you're planning to stay in this country, you better start hating it too. :rolleyes:

Flint 10-05-2006 11:52 AM

What's that? I thought I heard a human being talking, but all I see is an unlawful enemy combatant.

Shawnee123 10-05-2006 11:55 AM

:bolt:

Elspode 10-05-2006 02:32 PM

Hey, it isn't like the guy got a heterosexual blow job in the Oval Office or anything. Lay off. Just a little harmless gay pedophilic fun.

Spexxvet 10-05-2006 02:33 PM

Yeah. It's not like those pages are old enough to vote, or anything...

Elspode 10-05-2006 02:36 PM

I think what you meant to say was, "It's not like those little Senate Pages have enough money to contribute to a political campaign or anything".

One vote is worthless. You have to buy them by the truckload.

BigV 10-05-2006 04:46 PM

Wait, wait, wait, waitaminit. Now it's his "responsibility".

Hastert takes responsibility, but won't step down
Quote:

House Speaker Dennis Hastert took responsibility Thursday for the growing page scandal but said he has done nothing wrong and is not a detriment to Republicans' efforts to keep control of Congress in the Nov. 7 election.

"The buck stops here," Hastert said at a press conference outside his office in Batavia, adding that he will let the numerous investigations determine whether anyone-including any of his aides-did anything wrong.
Hey, is it just me or does the new vogue "apology" and taking "responsibility" strike you as, well, hollow, to be charitable. With qualifiers like: "take[s] responsibility...but did nothing wrong". WTF?! Even the Pope does it. Sheesh.

Happy Monkey 10-05-2006 05:07 PM

:rolleyes:

Well that's OK, then. If the person responsible did nothing wrong, then nothing wrong was done! There's nothing to see here. Move along...

richlevy 10-05-2006 09:34 PM

Hastert wraps himself in the fag, er, flag

From here.

Quote:

More Foley Fallout

Editorial | Dennis Hastert, defender of the free world

If people criticize House Republican leaders for ignoring a possible child predator in their ranks, then the terrorists win?
That was the argument put forward Tuesday by Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R., Ill.) on the Rush Limbaugh radio show. Hastert said the furor over disgraced former Rep. Mark Foley (R., Fla.) is fueled by reckless partisans who would embolden America's enemies.
The speaker said: "What we've tried to do as the Republican Party is make a better economy, protect this country against terrorism - and we've worked at it ever since 9/11, worked with the president on it - and there are some people that try to tear us down. We are the insulation to protect this country, and if they get to me it looks like they could affect our election as well."
Translation: This burly former wrestling coach with a blind spot for Internet predators on his leadership team is the only guy who stands between America and the jihadists.
As an example of wrapping yourself in the flag, it doesn't get much more pathetic or self-serving. Hastert's remark about "our election" bespeaks an arrogance of entitlement that Republicans vowed to eliminate in 1994 in their Contract with America.

Griff 10-06-2006 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
Wait, wait, wait, waitaminit. Now it's his "responsibility".

Reminds me of Janet Reno and the Roasted Nuts.

Flint 10-06-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
Have the terrorists won?!

Jatt 10-06-2006 02:54 PM

Check out this clip of Congressman Tom Reynold's press conference on the whole Foley scandle. It's such an amazingly masterful political move that it's stunning:

Reynolds has Foley press conference surrounded by kids

I love how he refuses to send away his "supporters" when the journalists ask him to get the kids to leave. They can't even ask questions about the TOPIC OF THE CONFERENCE.

BigV 10-06-2006 05:12 PM

A little spin I heard from Hastert:

"We didn't know ... until Friday. Then the Republicans did something, and now he's (Foley) out of office." As if the Republicans removed him from office, in their defense of Truth, Justice and the American Way. It was really artful compared to the apoplectic hysterics from him earlier in the week.

Cracked me up.