The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   (My) Cookies (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26107)

Lola Bunny 10-16-2011 10:29 PM

(My) Cookies

1 Attachment(s)
I decide to copy Sundae and create a thread about cookies. :D I'll be making cookies for my nephew's birthday, Christmas, and Teacher's Appreciation Week next May. I just found a wonderful blog page on cookies, so I got excited about making cookies. I just may start making more to practice my icing.

These are the cookie I did my practice run on. These two girls came in to look at my cookies. One of the girls said my cookies are pretty. I think she'll go far in life. Yeah, you know what they say about flattery, it will get you everywhere. Anyways, I gave her chocolates since she loves them. :lol: I think they look hideous, but my sister said they don't look so bad. She got me some finer tip icing for the outline, so I think the next try may look better. By the way, these are characters from Angry Birds. :p:

Sundae 10-17-2011 02:16 AM

OMG!
Totally Angry Birds!

My kids would love them.
Refine all you like for your own needs, but these are good enough to sell.
You have a very blessed nephew.

DanaC 10-17-2011 02:55 AM

Totally and instantly recognizable as Angry birds!

I agree with Sundae. They're good enough to sell.

bluecuracao 10-17-2011 03:02 AM

I'm not familiar with Angry Birds, but I would eat them. They look delicious!

monster 10-17-2011 07:06 AM

I love the beaks particularly

glatt 10-17-2011 07:09 AM

Well done! Those are excellent.

Clodfobble 10-17-2011 07:12 AM

I'm not even a fan of Angry Birds, but I immediately recognized them as such. Refine your line technique or whatever if you want, but the point absolutely gets across.

ZenGum 10-17-2011 07:18 AM

Dittos all the above. I'm only vaguely aware of AB but I recognise them immediately.

You're your own harshest critic. Except maybe for your sister.

infinite monkey 10-17-2011 07:22 AM

They look awesome, Lola!

Sundae 10-17-2011 11:16 AM

In fact I am thinking... steal, steal steal idea!
Hey, we could have an Angry Birds cookie-off.

'Cept I rarely enter anything I know I am going to lose so badly!

Lola Bunny 10-17-2011 06:07 PM

Thanks y'all! My sister bought me an icing tube with finer tip, but it was still too broad. I'm gonna have to go back out there to buy a squeeze bottle and a really fine decorating/writing tip. All my cookie cutters are back! Yay...I'm getting excited. :p: I've made the batter today, will bake the cookies tomorrow, and decorate them Thursday. :D

ZenGum: My harshest critic is actually my mom. Of my 40 yrs of life, she has only praised me 3, 4 times. Okay, I don't remember exactly, but I really only remembered like once or twice. But I'm sure she praised me more than that, right?

Sundae: Let's do it! Let's have an Angry Birds cookie-off. Or just a cookie contest. But only if you participate, hihi. :p:

Happy Monkey 10-17-2011 06:08 PM

Angry Birds.... You're supposed to throw them, right?

Lola Bunny 10-17-2011 06:12 PM

Monkey: Yes, hehe. I've gathered boxes to make a pretend wood structures and cut-out the Pig faces for the kids to throw balls(Angry Birds) at it. Now, if any kids throw my Angry Birds cookies, I will really become an Angry Bird. :mad2: ... :lol:

Undertoad 10-17-2011 06:38 PM

I would not toss your cookies.

DanaC 10-17-2011 06:39 PM

Is that what they're calling it these days?

Undertoad 10-17-2011 06:42 PM

by this definition

monster 10-17-2011 08:20 PM

Bunny, I gave up on all those special icing things ages ago. I put the frosting in a Ziplock bag, (snack size) seal it up and then cut the corner off with a sharp knife to create a nozzle honed to the task. if I don't know what size i want, I start small and work up. I know I never post pics, but I make quite a lot of special cake and draw/write with frosting fairly often. I use one bag for each color and just toss them when I'm done.

Chocolatl 10-17-2011 08:27 PM

I agree with monster. I feel like I've gone through every new fangled frosting bag in the world, and nothing works as well as a good ol' Ziploc. Sure you can't get ridged edges or anything, but if you just want a straight line it works really well.

monster 10-17-2011 09:40 PM

you can put shaped cones/icing nozzles in the corner of the bag if you want stars/flowers/whatever. if you just want texture, make the frosting thicker -you can do this with bags where you can't with some proper equipment systems.

Lola Bunny 10-19-2011 11:08 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll tell y'all how things go after I'm done with them. :D

Big Sarge 10-20-2011 07:20 PM

Wow girl. Those are so fantastic!! My oldest daughter had a fit when I showed her the pic. She is going to try to make some too!

Lola Bunny 10-23-2011 01:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Happily, the party was a succes, but I'm still so tired from it. It took both my sister and I three days to finish 60 something cookies. Actually, we still need to outline the eyes of the yellow Angry Birds. However, we ran out of time, and frankly, we were both too doggone tired.

footfootfoot 10-23-2011 02:00 PM

I'm not angry about ur birds.

Clodfobble 10-23-2011 02:26 PM

Lola, those are fantastic!

Sundae 10-23-2011 02:50 PM

Lola you and your sister are very gifted.
I can now see why you were disappointed with the first batch.
Those are so good you better hope the copyright people don't get wind of them.

monster 10-23-2011 03:16 PM

Those are amazing. you should find a bakery to sell them, for sure!

limey 10-23-2011 03:31 PM

Lola! FanTAStic cookies!

classicman 10-23-2011 05:15 PM

Sell them! You've both got talent and an opportunity.

Aliantha 10-23-2011 06:06 PM

Freaking awesome lola! I just want a cookie now!

Lola Bunny 10-29-2011 08:19 AM

I just realized that I have rudely not thanked everyone for your kind comments. Thanks y'all! :D

Gravdigr 10-29-2011 12:57 PM

Ya done good!!

Gravdigr 10-29-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 764501)
I would not toss your cookies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 764503)
Is that what they're calling it these days?

I am so holding back the salad reference. Oops.

jimhelm 10-29-2011 01:05 PM

wow, lola, those are phenomenal. exquisite, fine detailed, professional looking. I bet you never want to see an icing tube again. that must have taken hours.

Sundae 10-29-2011 01:06 PM

I learned the phrase "toss your cookies" from Stephen King.
From a book, not personal conversation.

He stopped calling years ago.

wolf 10-29-2011 04:27 PM

Lola, Those are phenomenal cookies.

Your biggest problem, I think, will be keeping the kids from using rubberbands to slingshot the bird cookies at the pig cookies.

Sundae, you are making excellent progress in learning to speak 'Merkin.

Gravdigr 10-31-2011 12:01 PM

Tossing cookies = Blowing Groceries, just for variety.

Lola Bunny 11-01-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 767891)
wow, lola, those are phenomenal. exquisite, fine detailed, professional looking. I bet you never want to see an icing tube again. that must have taken hours.

That took hours and hours and hours and HOURS. :3_eyes: I've put all those tubes away. Hopefully by Christmas, I'll forget how tiring and long it was to make them cookies. :p:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 767965)
Lola, Those are phenomenal cookies.

Your biggest problem, I think, will be keeping the kids from using rubberbands to slingshot the bird cookies at the pig cookies.

Thanks, Wolf. Both kids and adults bagged some in the party favor bags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 768504)
Tossing cookies = Blowing Groceries, just for variety.

Learned something new. :D

Lola Bunny 11-29-2011 10:56 PM

Hello everyone! It's Christmas cookies time, hehe. Anyways, I've narrowed down to 3 recipes. I thought I'd try something new this year. Would you guys like these cookies? Or if there's something else you think might be better, please suggest! I prefer something simple because I'm making a load to give away. I saw a recipe for 7 Layer cookies. Looks absolutely wonderful and would love to try it but so time-consuming. :neutral: Anyways, here are the cookies' names and recipes.

(I'm gonna put each recipe in its own post.)

Lola Bunny 11-29-2011 10:58 PM

I like making spritz for Christmas. Simple, fast, and easy to eat. This year, I chose a recipe that calls for cinnamon and orange zest. Does that sound good to y'all?

INGREDIENTS:
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups butter
2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange zest

DIRECTIONS:
You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (72). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (36).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and egg yolk; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla and orange zest. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Fill a cookie press or pastry bag with dough, and form cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the cookies are golden brown on the peaks and on the bottoms. Remove from cookie sheets at once to cool on wire racks.

Lola Bunny 11-29-2011 11:01 PM

The second cookie is called Sara's Santa's Whiskers. The cookie looks colorful. :D It seems simple to make and it's different.

3/4 cup (6 ounces) flaked sweetened coconut
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla or rum extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 ounces red candied cherries, coarsely chopped
3 ounces green candied cherries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (4 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans

Special equipment: 2 large baking sheets; wax paper

Arrange two approximately 12- by 12-inch square pieces of wax paper on a work surface and spread half the flaked coconut in the middle of each.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla or rum extract and beat until fully incorporated. With the mixer on low, add the flour in 3 batches, followed by the red and green cherries and the pecans, and stir until just combined, about 2 minutes. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a 10-inch-long log, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Transfer each log to a sheet of wax paper and roll to coat them in the coconut. Once the logs are completely covered in coconut, roll the wax paper around each log, cover in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and a second rack in the lower third then preheat to 375°F.
Slice each log crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick cookies and arrange on baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between cookies. Bake, switching the baking sheets between the upper and lower racks about halfway through baking, until light golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Continue baking cookies on cooled baking sheets. DO AHEAD: The cookies can be baked ahead and stored, in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 3 days.

Lola Bunny 11-29-2011 11:03 PM

Now, this third cookie is, well...., I just wanted to make something that appears healthy. :D :lol: And I want to use cranberries. :p: Is this okay as Xmas cookies?

Triple-Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries

2 ounces milk chocolate or white chocolate, chopped (for drizzling)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and oats and stir until blended. Stir in all chocolate chips and cranberries.
Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are light brown, about 16 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.
Stir chopped milk chocolate in top of double boiler until melted and smooth. Using small spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over cookies in zigzag pattern. Let stand until milk chocolate sets, about 1 hour. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

Lola Bunny 11-29-2011 11:05 PM

Oh, I just remembered there's another one I wanted to make. It's called "Almond Joy" Macaroons. I found it in a magazine so I guess I'll scan it and post it tomorrow. Seems simple and different.

xoxoxoBruce 11-30-2011 01:05 AM

Yum. :D

Aliantha 11-30-2011 01:31 AM

Can we choose all of the above?

limey 11-30-2011 04:04 AM

wss^

Lola Bunny 12-02-2011 11:06 AM

I usually make three types of cookies. Just making sure these three sounds good. :D Thanks y'all!

Lola Bunny 12-02-2011 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the recipe for "Almond Joy" Macaroon. I'm iffy with this recipe because of the pineapple. Think y'all would like this?

zippyt 12-02-2011 01:43 PM

I like pinapple , but i think i would pass on it here , these should be All about the Almond and the Macaroonish goody they sit on , Oh and do EXTRA dark Chock !!!!

xoxoxoBruce 12-02-2011 03:38 PM

I stole your cookie recipes, love a shot of your buns, too. ;)

Sundae 12-02-2011 03:50 PM

Almond Joy Macaroons should be renamed Yucky Yuk Things.
Well, maybe not that bad. I'd only eat one because I'm not mad keen on coconut and dislike almonds. The plus side of that is I might avoid strychnine poisoning one day.

zippyt 12-02-2011 04:11 PM

More for me then !!!!

Lola Bunny 12-03-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 777225)
I like pinapple , but i think i would pass on it here , these should be All about the Almond and the Macaroonish goody they sit on , Oh and do EXTRA dark Chock !!!!

Thanks, Zip. I think I'll skip on this recipe since I'm iffy with it in the first place. I'll just stick with the three I already have now. That is enough work...whew!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 777268)
I stole your cookie recipes, love a shot of your buns, too. ;)

Be careful of what you wish for. ;)

Lola Bunny 12-16-2011 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chirstmas cookies I made for my nephew's teachers and to give to my friends. :) I was super busy and tired so I forgot to take a picture until they've all gone into containers. :p:

Lola Bunny 12-16-2011 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have lots of leftover oat meal and cranberries, so I decided to make the following recipe. However, I added 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 pecans.

Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies

Total Time: 32 min.Prep20 min. Cook12 min.
Yield: 5 dozen Oatmeal Cranberry Cook

Ingredients
• 1 cup unsalted butter
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
• 3 cups rolled oats
• 1 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)

Direction

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture and stir until well blended. Add dried cranberries. Drop by teaspoonful onto parchment covered baking sheet. Bake about 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool.

xoxoxoBruce 12-17-2011 12:07 AM

:yum: .

Clodfobble 12-17-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

1/4 teaspoon cardamon
You know what blows my mind? It's cardamom, (not picking on you Lola, any copy-and-paster is absolved of responsibility, :)) and awhile back on Top Chef Just Desserts not one but two of the pastry chefs kept saying "cardamon" in interviews. How can you be a professional chef and not know the correct name of a common spice?

Those cookies do look really good though, Lola. :yum:

monster 12-17-2011 11:02 PM

chefs need to be good at math not language....

Trilby 12-18-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 781079)
chefs need to be good at math not language....

chefs need to shut UP and get out those pots and pans!

Mama's hungry!

;)

Lola Bunny 12-18-2011 12:54 PM

To be honest, I don't even know that spice, and I don't use it either. I omitted it and added an extra 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. :p:

I ate a few and gave the rest away. I have a week left to lose down another inch to win a bet.

Anyways, I have to put away the mixer (darn heavy thang) and stop making cookies for a while. My mom is getting a bit upset that I keep on baking and giving everything away, hehehe.

Clodfobble 12-18-2011 01:42 PM

It's a savory spice, used a lot in Indian cooking. Very pungent. Can come as whole brown seeds, or ground up. Cinnamon probably tasted much better. :)