The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The smarter you are, the harder this is (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5985)

hot_pastrami 06-04-2004 11:33 PM

The smarter you are, the harder this is

It is said that the smarter a person is, the more difficulty they have in solving this puzzle. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but it took me about 30 minutes. Dr. Richard Duke at the University of Michigan, who uses this puzzle as a demonstration in his gaming/simulation courses, took more than a year to figure it out initially. Some people solve it in mere seconds.

The page has all the information you need to solve the puzzle. Don't spoil the answer for everybody else if you figure it out. Have fun!

elSicomoro 06-04-2004 11:42 PM

Okay...so that took about 5 minutes for me to figure out...hmmm...

marichiko 06-05-2004 12:09 AM

OK, I must be an imbecile worthy of sterilizing (I told ya'll I had minor neurological damage!). I figured it out on the 3rd try and the first one didn't count cuz I just automatically put down the botanically correct number without looking at anything else.

Lady Sidhe 06-05-2004 12:18 AM

Damn, I must be brilliant...I can't seem to figure it out. This is annoying, but addictive. I'm not sure whether to thank you or not.... Every time I think I've figured it out and I get the number right, it ends up that the way I got the number right was wrong....

;)

Sidhe

lumberjim 06-05-2004 12:32 AM

21 minutes

marichiko 06-05-2004 12:37 AM

my cat got it right the first time (he likes to play with the keyboard while I type). Lady Sid's post made me realize that my earlier answer might have been dumb luck, and sure enough, it was. I guess there's hope for me after all. As to my cat, he's just a dumb animal, what else can Isay?

Nothing But Net 06-05-2004 12:53 AM

Took me about eight tries. And I ain't dumb.

Looks like an interesting test of left/right brain capability, coordination, and balance.

wolf 06-05-2004 01:35 AM

About 2 seconds. Most of it spent hunting for the numbers on the keyboard.

When I first was introduced to this puzzle (in 1977, I believe) it took me about 15 minutes.

DanaC 06-05-2004 06:50 AM

Well I cant figure it out

xoxoxoBruce 06-05-2004 06:52 AM

Third try.:)

DanaC 06-05-2004 07:08 AM

I seem to have a mental block with anything to do with numbers.....I suck

wolf 06-05-2004 10:44 AM

The :blunt: interferes with logical reasoning.

lumberjim 06-05-2004 11:06 AM

i beg to differ

smoothmoniker 06-05-2004 11:59 AM

arrrrrghhhhhh

-sm

jaguar 06-05-2004 12:30 PM

god that just about caused me to pop a blood vessel, 15 minutes and 3 pieces of paper covered in models. THe problem is you need to really step back and just mull on the name for a minute.

Coders etc I think have the most hell with this.

blue 06-05-2004 01:58 PM

That sucked, guess I'm not bright, got on the second try, about 10 seconds worth of work, and it wasn't even fun, and it sucked.

Why do I keep clicking on crap like this?

Torrere 06-05-2004 08:11 PM

I still don't have it.

All that I can say is that the number of petals is (as far as I've seen) always even.

smoothmoniker 06-05-2004 09:12 PM

grrrrrraaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhh

-sm

Tomas Rueda 06-05-2004 09:12 PM

it has taken me 20 min so far, but I stopped playing because of Internet costs. Best guess, It would take me about 1-2 years because, well, my IQ is 136 ( how is it that a circumstance like this makes you feel ashamed of how smart are you:mad: )

lookout123 06-05-2004 09:58 PM

ok, let me say that i don't believe the "smarter" you are the longer it takes, because the people i see finishing quickly (although i may disagree with them at times) are definitely not ranking low on the intellectual scale. for all of you that in the past have thought i was the world's biggest dumbass - point proven.

i've been going for 45 minutes and i am so f'ing pissed right now. i have never felt more stupid in my entire life. would someone please take pity on me and email me big picture that i am obviously missing.

lumberjim 06-05-2004 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tomas Rueda
it has taken me 20 min so far, but I stopped playing because of Internet costs. Best guess, It would take me about 1-2 years because, well, my IQ is 136 ( how is it that a circumstance like this makes you feel ashamed of how smart are you:mad: )
i don't know what to say. i don't believe it, i'm at a loss. oh well.

hot_pastrami 06-05-2004 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lookout123
ok, let me say that i don't believe the "smarter" you are the longer it takes, because the people i see finishing quickly (although i may disagree with them at times) are definitely not ranking low on the intellectual scale. for all of you that in the past have thought i was the world's biggest dumbass - point proven.
I don't really think that smarter people take more time to solve it... I think that a person who is more open-minded, creative, and/or not technically-minded will probably solve the puzzle faster. Once I figured out the answer, I realized that the programmer inside of me had been working against me... I was looking at it all wrong.

Quote:

Originally posted by lookout123
would someone please take pity on me and email me big picture that i am obviously missing.
If somebody tells you, it may end up making you feel even worse. It's very simple, it's just not immediately obvious to some people, depending on how your mind works.

blue 06-05-2004 11:11 PM

This still pisses me off...I punched in 2 and clicked, then figured it out......I'm probably the dumbest of the regulars here, and it wasn't fun, wasn't stimulating, the smarter you are crap is crap, and I came back to this thread...that's what really bunches my undies.

elSicomoro 06-05-2004 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blue
I'm probably the dumbest of the regulars here
I don't think so...not by a long shot.

hot_pastrami 06-05-2004 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
I don't think so...not by a long shot.
Dude, if you think I'm dumb, just come out and say it. I can't any more of these veiled insults. Sniff.

Ow, my feelings.

jaguar 06-06-2004 07:36 AM

If anyone really wants he answer I'll PM it to them; I do have to agree, it's nothing to do with how smart you are, just your abiliaty to think laterally - something which in itself is a sign of intelligence and creativity. As I said before, being a coder or any job where similar types of thinkig are needed is a massive disadvantage.

If you can't solve it, do this.
Stand back, repeat the name out loud to yourself a few times, click roll, get the answer and think for a few minutes... Think about the name.

elSicomoro 06-06-2004 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hot_pastrami

Dude, if you think I'm dumb, just come out and say it. I can't any more of these veiled insults. Sniff.

Ow, my feelings.

HP, as dumb as you are, you are by no means the dumbest person on The Cellar. :)

xoxoxoBruce 06-06-2004 02:10 PM

Just shut up before you know who starts a vote for the dumbest thread.:rolleyes:

Torrere 06-06-2004 06:52 PM

Finally got it, one day later.

What's really bad is that that was the first solution that came to mind, however I took the language of the question too literally. After dismissing my original hypothesis, I went scatter brained and attacked the problem, looking for all sorts of things. I noticed one attribute that kept popping up, but I didn't stop to think out the logical ramifications of that until I left the problem and came back to it.

I'm just glad that "rose" isn't a homonym for "rows".

OnyxCougar 06-06-2004 07:18 PM

I guess I'm not a lateral thinker....I got the answer right on the second try but it was pure luck because I don't know what the HELL I'm looking at.

Torrere 06-06-2004 07:47 PM

Did you get it right on the third try?

Sun_Sparkz 06-06-2004 07:49 PM

It took me 22 mins.

I was trying my hardest to think like a stupid person!

Catwoman 06-07-2004 05:37 AM

wtf??? petals, roses? It's a bunch of dice!! I thought I was quite laterally minded, obviously not. And I'm not trying to sound intelligent because I can't do it - it only tests one type of intelligence anyway when in fact there are (at least) nine different types. In a Mensa IQ test which measures spatial, linguistic and mathematical intelligence I scored 155 - chances are my zone of proximal development concerning other types of intelligence is frustratingly large.

OnyxCougar 06-07-2004 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Torrere
Did you get it right on the third try?
Nope, haven't got it right since.

jaguar 06-07-2004 08:50 AM

It's nothing to do with stupid or not, it's just about your ability to think outside the box.

You can actually sove this two ways, you could sove it by simply building a large enough table of data and working it out by analysing that, or you could simply re-read the name a few times.

Catwoman 06-07-2004 08:59 AM

jag can you pm me the answer it's driving me mad

OnyxCougar 06-07-2004 09:01 AM

OK, so my husband figured it out in like 5 minutes...... I had been flirting with that idea yesterday, but didn't go there for somereason...I understand now... *sigh*

wolf 06-07-2004 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Catwoman
jag can you pm me the answer it's driving me mad
Don't do it!! It's so much more fun watching people go buggy.

elf 06-07-2004 10:19 AM

*whimper*

I dooonn't get it!!!!!

And I can't spend more than a few minutes at a time on it.

Life is hell, I tell you. Helll!

*sigh*

:p

russotto 06-07-2004 10:24 AM

Took me three tries, and I guessed the basic idea immediately, just messed up a detail. Guess I must be stupid, as I know I'm close-minded, technically minded, and uncreative.

(seriously, of course someone who wasted a year on the puzzle would claim the smarter you are the harder the puzzle is. Sheesh)

Catwoman 06-07-2004 10:28 AM

Oh riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Thanks.

My initial reaction went something like this:

f**^*(*£$ "**@>~? @?£¬***@@ ~~##"!!!

For those still struggling, I recommend you never find out the solution. It will make you feel incredibly stupid and demoralised. I'm going to re-take that Mensa test.

Catwoman slumps off, thoroughly embarrassed

hot_pastrami 06-07-2004 10:35 AM

Quote:

If somebody tells you, it may end up making you feel even worse. It's very simple, it's just not immediately obvious to some people, depending on how your mind works.
Quote:

Originally posted by Catwoman
For those still struggling, I recommend you never find out the solution. It will make you feel incredibly stupid and demoralised.
Why does no one listen to me? Hello? Is anybody there? It's cold are there are wolves chasing me.

jaguar 06-07-2004 10:37 AM

Quote:

Don't do it!! It's so much more fun watching people go buggy.
You'd know ;)

warch 06-07-2004 10:44 AM

Easy, a snap! This is the stupid way I approach all math. Visually. Generally it doesnt work, so this is refreshing.

glatt 06-07-2004 10:52 AM

Took me about 10 minutes, and maybe 20 tries. I guessed right, purely by chance, several times, but hadn't figured out the pattern till I read the first post in this thread that talked about the "name." Went back and looked at it again and got it right away.

I agree, it has zero to do with intelligence, and has everything to do with how your brain is wired, and how relaxed a thinker you are.

vsp 06-07-2004 10:55 AM

First try, based on the name. Given the thread title, sterilize me.

(I qualify for Mensa, I have minors in computer programming and math, and I've been a coder, and yet I solved it in an eyeblink. Maybe my major being English had something to do with my being the exception to the rule.)

Radar 06-07-2004 11:00 AM

I did it for 5 minutes and gave up in frustration and I also qualify for Mensa.

jaguar 06-07-2004 11:01 AM

Quote:

I did it for 5 minutes and gave up in frustration and I also qualify for Mensa.
and boy oh boy does that say it all or what.

Catwoman 06-07-2004 11:03 AM

Quote:

Why does no one listen to me? Hello? Is anybody there? It's cold are there are wolves chasing me.
When people want to find out how intelligent they are, listening to someone else is not an option.

Radar 06-07-2004 11:07 AM

I don't have more than 5 minutes of my time to devote to searching for a pattern in an inane puzzle.

lookout123 06-07-2004 11:20 AM

ok, i got it. i had the right idea yesterday, there was just one variable i was missing that was screwing me up about every 3rd time. i'm usually really good at brainteasers, but this one had me for awhile. i'm a dumbass now i guess.

glatt 06-07-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Radar
I don't have more than 5 minutes of my time to devote to searching for a pattern in an inane puzzle.
I'm with Radar on this one. The puzzle is an amusement, a distraction. Purely for entertainment. I happened to have a few more minutes of time available to play around with it, and I got it. I'm sure Radar would get it too, given enough time.

No good can come from the puzzle, other than novelty value. Why waste time on it if you don't have enough time?

jojomonkeygirl 06-07-2004 11:26 AM

I got it in about 30 seconds but my 'brilliant' husband never did figure it out. I guess it's true...the smarter you are, the harder it is.:rolleyes:

SteveDallas 06-07-2004 11:41 AM

So are any of you Mensa "qualifiers" actually members of Mensa? (I ask because I went to a meeting with a friend once & I could imagine any less interesting way to pass my time, and I was just wondering if maybe it was that one chapter.)

Undertoad 06-07-2004 11:42 AM

The outcome of one single puzzle doesn't say anything about your intelligence, but the study of different kinds of puzzles may help one to think creatively or to understand one's approaches to life.

In this case, there's is an interesting lesson involved for about half the people. If you don't get it after one minute, I think you may get frustrated and try harder. This "try harder" does not cut it for this problem, because it forces you to consider the problem along the same paths you have always used, just working harder. Then you get really frustrated because the problem just doesn't solve that way!

At that point, the solvers know, the right way to handle it is to relax and think differently.

I could not have solved this problem prior to 1992. In 1992 I finished working 2 years of Unix telephone tech support. This time turned me into a problem-solver. Primarily it turned me into a LISTENER. You have to PAY ATTENTION to the person describing the problem, because that is usually where you get the most clues.

Anyone who hasn't gotten the puzzle yet, it doesn't really speak to your intelligence. Go back to it, I swear this is useful. Imagine that the question in the puzzle is being asked of you by a four-year-old child. If you still don't get it, LOOK AWAY from the puzzle. Stop, and imagine a four-year-old looking at the puzzle and asking you the question. Why would a four-year-old ask that question? Picture the kid asking you the question. Is it a boy or a girl? Why would they ask that question? Imagine what the question would mean if you were four and didn't know that the dots represented numbers.

The people who got it right away are missing out because they don't get the free lesson.

/end professor mode

lumberjim 06-07-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jojomonkeygirl
I guess it's true...the smarter you are, the harder it is.:rolleyes:
only if you are attracted to intelligent women.

Radar 06-07-2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

So are any of you Mensa "qualifiers" actually members of Mensa?
No. I was invited to join once, and I went to a meeting with a friend and it was truly boring as hell. It was a bunch of nerdy guys sitting around trying to compare IQ's and who couldn't seem to act like normal people. They wanted to impress each other by flexing thier intellectual muscles.

I never got to meet the hot Mensa women that were in Playboy, but my guess is no matter how hot they were, I wouldn't like them if they couldn't get over themselves.

hot_pastrami 06-07-2004 12:10 PM

My problem is that I was looking at the puzzle as some sort of math and/or numerical patterns problem... I was trying to detect patterns, watching to see if the order of the dice had any relevance... basically looking at it all wrong. When my pattern-searching yielded little, I threw out all of my data and looked at it again, and got it almost instantly.

It's just perspective.

wolf 06-07-2004 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Radar
I never got to meet the hot Mensa women that were in Playboy, but my guess is no matter how hot they were, I wouldn't like them if they couldn't get over themselves.
They probably were able to think for themselves too.

wolf 06-07-2004 12:33 PM

The woman who is acting as the coaster is a member of Mensa.

http://scribe.fork.org/forks03/thumb016.JPG

Link to full size image